“Sherry Netherland, amazing!”

Ranked #9 of 466 Hotels in New York City
nyc
“Sherry Netherland, amazing!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

So I strayed from the Sherry to another hotel on the advice of good friends. When we booked the hotel (The Westin) we needed 2 rooms and booked them over the phone. When we showed up they said they had booked the rooms for Sunday night not tonight a Saturday. What a shock we all had. We had to be at a dinner reservation in 1 hour and a graduation party directly after! So we called the Sherry Netherland and they got us in no problem! Having seen our friends room we were happy for the mix up! Our room was spacious, overlooking Central Park, greeted by our hand written welcome card, fresh flowers and a box of Godiva chocolates...this is standard for their hotel! I just love it! It feels like you get to a dear friends (who happens to be very wealthy and has fabulous taste) and they have gone for the night but leave their place to you...is it the hand written welcome card? I don't know if it is one thing or the culmination of all the fantastic things being exactly the same each and every time...love, love, love it!

Room Tip: Corner suite over looking Central Park and 5th Ave, you may pay extra but so worth it! Get there on...
2 Thank NycHappytraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed here for a few days and fell in love with it. The location is great, our room was fabulous and the service is outstanding. I can't find a single fault. We want to get back to New York again, and I will be staying here for sure.

Room Tip: Spring for a room with a view of the park if you can. If not, it's still a great place to stay.
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Sherry Netherland is the Best Hotel and Value in NYC. I have stayed at The Morgan, W, Hilton Ground Zero, Algonquin, Hilton Garden Inn, and no hotel comes close to the class, room size, closet size, amenities, friendliness, and spirit of the Sherry. Having free internet, a workout facility (nice), fresh flowers, chocolates, a daily refresh of sodas, waters and sparkling waters was amazing. Most importantly the bed and linens were soooo comfortable. Location is perfect too. Stay at the Sherry and you will be spoiled for life!

5 Thank LJHSF
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A reasonably priced upscale hotel if you book online and don't need a view room. Great location and they don't nickel and dime you for everything. Don't charge for internet or beverages in the refrigerator or use of their business center. Large rooms and nice bathrooms. Helpful staff.

Room Tip: Inside room with no street view is less expensive.
1 Thank Bjfitz130
Orange Beach, Alabama
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Sherry was a great place to stay during my business trip to New York. New York can be hectic but this place is just a space of relaxation in the vibrant city.
My suite was nice decorated with all the amentities. It has the old style but the same time lovely decorated.
I found the place to stay any time I will be back to New York.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Maxdert
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our most recent stay at the Sherry-Netherland was wonderful, as always. It feels like having our own apartment in the city. The staff couldn't be more friendly, welcoming and helpful. Our suite was newly decorated in a traditionl/art deco style that was comfortable and fun. The location, of course, is perfect, with its entrance on Fifth Avenue and view of Central Park and Bergdorf Goodman. We are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cheri R
Elsah, Illinois
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The Sherry-Netherland Hotel came into my experience by chance. I was coming into town for a meeting and the Sherry was one of the hotels with which they had worked out a special rate. Now, it wasn't incredibly cheap, but it was cheaper than some of the other options, so I went with it. I was going to stay for just one night and I'm pretty flexible having stayed in my fair share of Best Westerns, Motel 6s, and the like.

First impression? Old-fashioned luxury. You feel like you're walking into a private club from early last century... well, except that the old-fashioned private club has fast wifi, flat screen tvs, and free in-room drinks, chocolate, and a Keurig machine for coffees and teas. Okay, but here's the catch, my first experience at the Sherry didn't turn out so well. My bed was crazy hard. And I'm not one to complain. For reference, when my wife was pregnant last year she turned up the firmness on our select comfort bed to the highest setting... I tried it out and had no problem sleeping comfortably. So according to the guys at Select Comfort, one of the top selling beds in the country, I still sleep soundly on the firmest mattress setting they offer. Ok, back to the Sherry. So confused was I about this mattress, that I started taking off the bottom sheet to see what this crazy mattress was! It turns out that the springs on the inside of the mattress were exposed. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Anyways, it felt like two sheets of wood with a thin layer of padding over it. If that wasn't bad enough, there was some sort of crazy sound outside all night long... sounded like the AC unit but I'm not sure. I did not get a great night's sleep.

So when I checked out the following morning, I commented on the bed and the lady at the front desk said she wished I had let them know as each room in the hotel is different and may have different mattresses. That would have been good to know the night before. She also commented on how many people have said they love the mattresses at the Sherry. Well, I think this one slipped by them.

Anyways, I got a comment card the next day and felt obligated to let someone know the sorry state of that bed and about the crazy sound outside. And here's when things started getting better. The managing director wrote me back promptly:

"I am disturbed that you did not have a comfortable stay and offer my sincerest apologies. If we would have known prior to check out we could have offered you a room change. Although I see that you weren’t aware we have individually decorated rooms. Many are different in style and upgraded as we feel necessary every day. In regard to the mattresses in our rooms, as they need to be replaced we are consistent in replacing them with a Sealy Titanium Alloy Plush mattress. It seems to be a favorite to all. We are certainly looking into the mattress in room 1615 as you are the only person that has taken the time to comment. We take our guests comments seriously and we take care of it as best we can. As far as the HVAC noise that is something we cannot control but we are making the necessary repairs to it. We certainly don’t want you to walk away with a bad feeling. Our guests comfort and experience mean a lot to us. So on behalf of all we would like to welcome you back as our guest for one night subject to availability. Please contact me so I can personally make your arrangements."

What a professional message! Boy, was I impressed. So, two nights ago I took the Sherry up on their offer. I arrived, checked in, and was given a room on the third floor. When I walked in I just about dropped all of my bags. It was a HUGE suite. We're talking apartment sized. Living room with dining room table, big screen TV, fireplace, couches, a small kitchen, a bedroom with another big screen TV, a huge marble bathroom, walk in closet, and a view of 5th Avenue and the iconic glass-cubed Apple Store. I couldn't believe it. Talk about taking care of your customers! Oh, and it had a really comfortable bed.

What I think is the overall great thing about this whole experience, is that I'm just nobody from the Midwest in my late 20s on a business trip but they treated me like their VIP customer. It's customer service the way it should be, you know? Anyways, they never prompted me to leave a review, by the way. They could have given me the same room as before (hopefully with a new mattress) and I would have been perfectly happy. But they took the time to go the extra mile. Is everything new and state-of-the art? No (although the flat screen was a new Samsung SmartTV). Is the gym filled with the most recent equipment? No (although there's plenty of machines and weights to put together a great workout). Is the customer service top-notch? Absolutely. So there you go... my two cents.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank reyjames1
Kkinet1, Manager at The Sherry-Netherland Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind and generous review of The Sherry. We are currently planning a renovation of our Fitness Center in the summer, and hope that, by your next visit, you will find it more to your liking.