“Excellent hotel, but for long stays...”

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #286 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed here for a few months on a business trip.

Pros: Fantastic location with convenient subway access. Pricewise, it's far better than all the other Starwood hotels around (I checked). The lounge's food is fresh, and all the staff are warm and personable. The recent renovation also has improved room quality.

Cons: here is why I must deduct 1 star.
-due to impressive group volume (all sorts of conferences/conventions all the time) + air crews/etc, business travelers should expect to wait longer for the elevator in the morning, a fact which is not alleviated by the impressive elevator speed (if only all elevators were this fast!)
-for approx. 2 days out of my multi-month stay, my room smelled faintly and inexplicably of cigarette smoke despite staying on a non-smoking floor to avoid this.

Conclusion: If you aren't in a rush in the morning and aren't transiting in/out of the hotel between 8:30-9:30AM, you may consider this to be a 5-star endorsement. If you don't like waiting at elevators every day for 90 days, it has to be 4-stars.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank hkbased
Devon C, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

hkbased,

Thank you for the review. We like getting feedback on our newly renovated rooms, they were designed with our guests needs in mind for comfort and space. Our Club Lounge is a wonderful and unique experience and our staff there is truly great. We do sincerely apologize for the elevator congestion and we hope you will be back soon for a 5 star experience!

There are newer reviews for Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel

Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past July. The location is ideal, close to restaurants,central park etc. Our room on the 50th floor had a fantastic view of Times square! Rooms were clean and large enough for all of our belongings. The hotel was very busy while we were there however check in and check out went quickly, would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank margiethestylist

margiethestylist,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is great to hear that you were able to stay in one of our rooms with a view! Being in the middle of Manhattan, views are so breathtaking. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms. Despite our busy lobby, we are glad our staff made your arrival and departure experience pleasant!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed here while traveling on business. This is a great location for tourist. Very close to Times Square, theater district and shopping. It's also right around the corner from the Ed Sullivan Theater. So if you are interested in going to a live taping of the David Letterman Show, you are only a couple blocks away.

The room was a great size for a NYC room and was clean and very nice. There was a flat screen TV, and new looking furniture. The bed was probably the best part of the room. It was super comfortable and soft. When I checked in, the front desk person made it a point to tell me not to use the room refrigerator/mini bar to store my own personal food or take anything out unless I wanted to be charged for it. She said the refrigerator/mini bar items are weighted and once you lift an item up and out the refrigerator it’s charged to your bill. However, the next morning someone came to my room to "check" the mini bar items and see if anything needed replenished. Seems like they would know if something needed replenished, if the items are weighted.

The bathroom had a full-size tub. The bathroom could use some cleaning. I saw hair (not mine) on the ceiling of the shower. I assume housekeeping doesn’t clean up there and look there while cleaning the tub. I’m tall so I noticed it when I stepped in the shower.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ereynihc

ereynihc,

Thank you for the review. Our location truly is one of the best, right in the middle of all the major NYC attractions. We are so proud of our newly renovated rooms and we love to hear that our guests enjoy them as well. Our signature Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed is always a great hit because of how comfortable it is!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the Concierge desk was fantastic at answering our questions, making dinner reservations and suggesting some amazing restaraunts in the area but away from Times Square. I wish I remembered their names. It was very busy while we were there but there were enough people on hand to take care of everything with only a small wait and always a friendly face. The room was updated and clean and the beds were sooo comfortable. The rooms were also quiet and made for some excellent sleeps after long hot days and nights. The bathroom was pretty small but I've seen smaller in other hotels in the area.
The location is the best. Just close enough to Times Square while not being directly in it amongst all the ruckus but also close to uptown. You can pretty much walk anywhere from here if you like to walk and Central park is only 6 blocks uptown. Really good restaraunts only a few blocks in any direction but again away from Times Square which is what we wanted.
The bartender made us the best Margaritas and the warm homemade chips at the bar were amazing. Check out Cosmos Diner for a great NY diner brekfast and Nocellos for a superb Italian meal All recommended by the staff.
The only thing I didn't like was you had to pay to check your bags if you wanted to leave them for awhile after check out which I've never seen before. I talked to the front desk Manager and he even took care of that for us. I've stayed in other hotels in the area but would definitely go back there now. Overall a wonderful trip. Great Hotel and staff. They should be commended!

Room Tip: Higher floors and away from elevators make for better sleeps. If you have SPG gold status, internet...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sophie K
Devon C, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Sophie K,

Thank you for the positive feedback! Our staff works very hard to make each guest experience comfortable and special and it is great to see that we have succeeded. Our location is one of the best, right in the middle of everything, it is great that our staff recommended restaurants that you enjoyed! We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for a convention in July. The location was perfect and the hotel is surrounded by many restaurants, shops and markets. Our room was very nice and we had plenty of room for our luggage and personal items. The bathroom is small for two women to try to get ready at the same time, but it was clean and we managed. There are two large mirrors in the room which helped. Our room was cleaned each day while we were out and we appreciated coming back to a nicely made up room. Our only complaint was the cleaning staff threw away some souvineer water bottles we had placed on the dresser. I spoke with one of the staff the next day and suggested they should only throw away items that have been placed in the trashcan. She said they always throw away empty bottles. After that, we hid our bottles in our luggage! I appreciate the cost of a mini-frig being waived because I have medication which must be kept refrigerated. When I mentioned at check-in that I needed the frig, the receptionist arranged it and called me twice to make sure it had been delivered to the room. Yes, there were long lines at check-in and at the elevators but we were attending a convention with 1800 other people, so we expected the crowds and just made the best of it. The staff was obviously working hard. I will stay at the Sheraton again when I am in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank boat4811

Boat4811,

Thank you for the review. It is great to hear that our newly renovated guest rooms met your needs during your time with us. Our location truly is one of the best, we are happy to hear that it made your stay more enjoyable. We are glad that our front desk staff was able to immediately accommodate you with any special needs you may have had. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel is clean, newly remodeled, and in a fantastic location! We stayed on the 47th floor and had a great view. They have several elevators, so you aren't stuck waiting in ridiculously long lines. Try the sunday brunch buffet---it's great. Ahmed at the front desk was extremely helpful in clearing up an issue with our bill. We'll be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShermanFamily

ShermanFamily,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is wonderful to hear that our facilities and guest rooms met your needs and expectations during your stay with us. We are so proud of our newly renovated guest rooms, there is nothing better than hearing that our guests love them too! We appreciate your kind words regarding Ahmed, our team is full of shining stars!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went for a very large convention. The Check in lines were ridiculous. It was oppressively hot that week in New York but inside the hotel was very well air-conditioned. In fact had to wear sweaters In convention meeting. Sleep was fantastic, best ever in a hotel. Location is perfect for everything and I mean everything. Easy walk to broadway shows, shopping and sightseeing. Great restaurants and fun and famous restaurants within two blocks. Breakfast in hotel was delicious but very very expensive. Try Stage Cafe diagonally across street. My room was handicap accessible. It had automatic sheers and black out curtains. Check if other rooms have them. They really were so great. Beds and pillows were perfect. Would stay again.

Room Tip: I didn't use the spa. No pool. Across the street is a NYC visitor center. They are terrific. I...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business