“Awesome”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Well located....a few blocks away from 5th Ave, Hell's Kitchen, Madam Tussard's and Broadway!!!!!! Very friendly staff...we were booked here from the 16th August 2013 to 24 August 2013....we fortunately or unfortunately ended up in the room that was wheel chair friendly but it was big.
We had had the nicest view......from our room....all the tall buildings. The hotel had a small gym, which was great as I didnt have to miss any gym session

There are newer reviews for The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I foolishly bought a 'Groupon' deal for this hotel which was valued at $210. If I had bought the room directly from the website of The Manhatten, it would have been much cheaper. Imagine my suprise that I got the smallest room they offer (a corner double bed room). The hotel is going through a renovation, the lobby is extremely small. I'd called the hotel 1-800 number to confirm the check-in time which was 3 PM. When we got there at 2:45 PM they informed us the check-in time was 4PM. When I told the lady that I called and they said check in was 3, she looked around and said, who said that? I said I don't know but that's what I heard and she gave me a little attitude and said well it's 4PM so.... So after that I called the same number I called that morning and they once again said the check in time was 3, so I told them that I was standing in the lobby and the lady said it isn't until 4PM. I was put on hold forever, and was told that someone would call or get me right away to take care of the problem. So we waited. And waited. I actually watched a man check in and get his room keys! So I walked back up to the desk and what do you know, they do have a room available all of a sudden. The lady who checked us in kept saying how she can't wait to go home, etc. etc. She obviously hates her job. On our way up to the room the bellman kept saying the same type of thing, how exhausted he was and how he can't wait to go home, etc. Just goes to show how hellish this hotel is for everyone! Our hotel room was so lacking in so many ways. It was clean but felt dirty. The smoke detector looked ancient and was not on the wall properly. My husband was afraid to test it to see if it worked. The shower was old. I guess we didn't get a renovated room? The shower took a good ten minutes to warm up, and the water didn't drain properly so when we took a shower we also took a bath! Just....no. We wished the whole time we could have got our money back and gone to the Sheraton across the street. This is one of the worst, if not the worst hotel stay we've ever had. I'll never go back, even after the renovations. If people would stop swarming this place (for what reason, I do not know) it'd close for good...that'd certainly be best for all parties involved I am sure of it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlynn0304
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear jlynn0304,

Thank you for your candid review about your stay experience. It is very disheartening to learn from your comments that we failed to meet your expectations. The type of service you received is not the experiences we strive to create for our hotel guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the issues you faced on arrival and with your room assignment. We take all our guest comments seriously in an effort to better our services for our guest. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make up for this unfavorable experience as winning back your loyalty and trust is important to us.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel. We booked this hotel due to the location which is great right in time square area. Cost of hotel after taxes was 260$ a night and 50$ for parking. The staff was nice and check in was easy we stayed on the top floor(22) and had and ok view. Lots of construction going on in lobby and a bit congested. We get to the room and its ok needs a lots of updates and maybe cleaned a bit better. We left the room and walked everywhere an returned later that night and the floor was soaked from a clogged hose in the A/C unit. Towels were placed on floor due to being late they could not run the vacuum to suck the water up. Checkout was very easy and vehicle brought around right to front of hotel.
Positive- great locate
Negative- not so clean, price

Room Tip: Top floor had a descent view

Dear Ublrivera,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your Hotel stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you faced because of an unanticipated leak on the 22nd floor. As you rightly stated because of the late hour and being sensitive to our guest experience we were not able to fully extract the water from the corridor carpet without inconveniencing guests on that floor. We value you as our guest and would like to know if there is anything we can do for you to make up for this unfavorable experience.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Manhattan seems to be a very old hotel..but if you want a room to take a shower and sleep (not paying a lot) - that is perfectly fine!
It is close to the Times Square (a 5-minute walk) but it is not so noisy. It´s also close to the Central Park (10-minute walk) and close to most subway station lines. Rooms are not very big and not super clean. Decoration is old-fashioned. Make the reservation at their website and maybe you can get complimentary wi-fi in your room (wi-fi is free at the hotel lobby).
The concierges are super polite and kind and willing to help.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jules_ Sam,

Thank you for posting a review about your Hotel stay. While our endeavor is to make every guest stay a 5 star experience I am disappointed to know that we were unable to exceed your expectations. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you that will make up for your stay experience.

Brendan Moraes-General Manager.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

It´s location is almost close to everywhere.....friendly staff and always willing to solve your questions and help you around. Rooms are not too big but they are ok. If you are traveling with a family of 4, think on getting 2 rooms if your kids are not teens....too small for 4 adults.

1  Thank rickyrestrepo
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Firstly we booked this hotel through trivago and booking.com as it appeared reasonable (until they sprung 15% city tax which was not clear at the time of booking), for the pool (which we couldnt find) and for the location.
We had stayed 4 nights in Fitzpatrick grand central at the start of our trip and should have gone back there after our week touring greater New York and Long Island.
The Manhattan is awful, the staff are rude, the rooms are old, there is construction and general dirt everywhere.
At check in we got the key and that was it, the receptionist did not speak to us!
We stay for 2 nights. after the first night we left the hotel at 10am to tour the city. We returned to the hotel at 5pm to get ready for going out for dinner to find that they were cleaning our room and that our laundry had not been taken. When I went to reception she told me they clean rooms all day and we weren't on for a morning clean. She then went on to tell me that housekeeping don't collect laundry you need to bring it down with you!!! She was so rude and unaccommodating.
Our room was completely outdated and the aircon unit sounded exactly like a tractor!
You could not use the toilets in the lobby without a room key so when we had checked out and stored our bags with the porter (who told us we needed to tip him) we had to request a key to use the toilet. I wish now I hadn't as they were a disgrace with waste tissue and dirt everywhere.
For your own sake please do not stay here, pay the extra few dollars and upgrade to one of times squares many other hotels, this was my 6th time staying in Manhattan and my worst experience to date, the location is simply not worth putting up with everything else!!!

4  Thank l0ve2travel27
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Love2travel27,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay at The Hotel. We want all our guests to experience quality, variety & value in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. I sincerely apologize that we failed in our endeavor to meet and exceed your expectations. Your comments were discussed with the management team in an effort to avoid any similar issues from occurring to our guests as well as to help us better our service delivery at the Hotel. I want to assure you corrective action has been taken based on your comments. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to for you to make up for this unfavorable experience at the Hotel as your loyalty is important to us.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early Aug. I reserved 3 double rooms (online) and even though I contacted them previously through email and phoned the day before they couldn't find the reservations. We were separated on different floors, all under the 20th floor "deluxe" rooms I'd paid for. The rooms were FILTHY. Next day, we were changed but after waiting over an hour on the never-ending reception line. My impression is that the people who work in reception genuinely try to please, but there seems to be some superior force there that prevents any kind of coordination between them. The new rooms were "deluxe" rooms. They were together, and clean, but the windows were so thin we listened to traffic all night long. The bathroom was really old with cracked tiles. I also wasn't able to make a long-distance call from the room. The hotel operator never said it wasn't allowed, but did suggest I find a public phone booth! I will NEVER stay in this hotel again. As I told them, their website (with beautiful hotel pictures) is clearly false advertising.

Room Tip: I have no tips. When we were given rooms overlooking garbage bins on the backside we slept noise-f...
2  Thank LisaDolan

Dear Lisa Dolan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your hotel stay. It is disheartening to learn from your comments that we were unable to meet your expectations at the Hotel. The service you received at the Hotel is not the type of experience we pride on delivering to all our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the issues you faced during your stay. Your comments were discussed with the team in an effort to better our service for all our guests that stay at the Hotel. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make up for this unfavorable experience as regaining your loyalty and trust is important to us.

Brendan Moraes-General Manager.