“Don't even think about staying here! You will regret it” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #289 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't even think about staying here! You will regret it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a lot of potential but right now the only thing it can possibly claim is it's fantastic location, other than that this hotel barely deserves its star rating! I would describe the hotel as being similar to a Best Western / Days Inn, although even those hotels don't charge $14.95 a night for wifi and you're provided with some sort of service!

Let me start out with the positives (there isn't much). This hotel boasts a fantastic location, literally a block from the heart of Times Square and a subway ride from anywhere your little heart desires! If you're looking for a cheap (cheap in cost and accommodation) hotel with a fantastic location then this is where you want to be! Just don't expect much! The hotel also has a decent sized fitness centre with 3 treadmills, 1 bike, 2 cross trainers, a weight machine and dumbbells, along with yoga mats.

Firstly before I mention the negatives, I will note that everything I'm reviewing and commenting on has been raised previously on this website and this hotels guest services manager has acknowledged the issues yet the same issues are still occurring! So don't be fooled by their response that things will change.

My poor experience started at check-in when we arrived at 2.30pm for 3pm checkin, the rude female staff member stated that no rooms were available and that checkin commences at 3pm. Just so everyone is aware, checkin is FROM 3pm- this hotel does not guarantee rooms will be ready at 3pm! Luggage was stored and rude woman forgotten, until we returned at 6.30pm to checkin.

The male staff member informed us that a room was not yet available for us and that it would take another hour. Frustrated with being wet (it had been raining) and being told that we were expected to wait four and a half hours after checkin started for our room, we asked for a manager. The manager magically found a room in 3 minutes and we were on our way to the 15th floor.

Both being so tired and angry we did not realise that the hotel had given us a queen size bed even though we had paid for a king size one. The next evening we confirmed with the hotel that the room they had given was queen size. Initially the agent advised they had no king rooms available and that the prices were the same (which they are not). Fortunately after speaking with a manager the agent located a room on the 17th floor for us.

I'd like to thank the hotel for supplying us with a fridge for our room, and then relocating the fridge when we moved rooms, I did appreciate that!

Housekeeping is average for the hotel also, they never forgot to take the daily tip we offered but never once during our 9 nights replenished the soap and multiple times failed to replace tea/coffee and other toiletries! Also the towels the hotel use are disgusting, noticeable stains are evident on the all items and clearly they have not been replaced for a while since majority still contain the Sheraton tags! Also I do not believe the fitness centre was cleaned once during our 9 nights as the same dirt and rubbish on the floor remained for our entire visit! Also towels were not supplied.

One of the lifts was out of service for 3 nights we were staying which was frustrating during peak times as the wait was sometimes extensive for an elevator! Also, the lobby is the only source of free wifi as this hotel feels the need to charge the ridiculous price of $14.95 per night for use of 'basic' wifi! They do not offer any deals for longer visits so it was cheaper for me to purchase a SIM card!

And finally, this hotel charges you for making toll free calls so don't even lift up that phone expecting not to be charged! Any possible way to make more money and this hotel is already on top of it!

Overall extremely disappointed by all aspects of this hotel and will not return unless renovations and improvements are made! Other than the location this hotel has absolutely nothing going for it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rollo_100
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Rollo_100,

Thank you for taking the time to post a candid review and for bringing to our attention the issues encountered by you during your stay at the Hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear of our shortcomings your comments are instrumental in guiding us towards achieving total guest satisfaction. On behalf of the entire team at the Hotel, please accept my sincerely apologies for our inability to meet your expectations at the Hotel. Please know that all our guest comments are taken very seriously and corrective action initiated based on these comments in an effort to better our services for all guests who choose to stay at the Hotel. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you to make up for this unfavorable experience.

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,042)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for four days. We had two rooms. The positives are that the location is good and that the rooms are large by NY standards. And that is it. Every other detail about this hotel is bad to terrible.

The rooms smell terrible the bathrooms are at best described as use at your own risk. The carpets are filthy.

The so called lobby area is maybe 100m2 which is completely inadequate for a hotel this size. However the 3 2 person benches and 6 chairs that are available make it even more useless, they are a joke.

My toilet dripped, especially when my neighbour flushed. At night this was rather annoying. I tried to get it fixed. After a while I gave up and fixed it myself.

I would absolutely never go back to this hotel. Simply being in the right location is NOT enough.

I find it amazing that anybody who has stayed at this hotel would rate it at anything but terrible.

1 Thank Miklos1
Dear Miklos1,

Thank you for posting a review and for bringing to our attention the issues encountered by you during your stay at the Hotel. I sincerely apologize for the unfavorable experience you had at the Hotel and for our inability to meet your expectations. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you should your travels bring you back to the city.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed this past week July 5-8. Hotel was easy to find; I asked for early check in but we arrived and it wasn't ready so walked around until it was ready. Checking in was a quick and painless. We had a corner room on the 17th floor, view toward Broadway Street; I read the reviews before I went and noticed alot of people were complaining about the noise but honestly being the location; it is expected. The room was a pretty decent size - bathroom is definitely outdated - shower head has no pressure what so ever. The staff was very helpful tho as our remote stopped working and they got us one very quickly and called after to make sure it was working properly. My husband's birthday was that Saturday and I had told them ahead of time so it was nice to come back from the Yankee game and my husband a card, New York Magnet, coffee cup, key chain, some water and some chocolates laid out for him which was nice. Checking out was the problem issue. We had tickets to visit one location before we left so we checked out and asked if we could keep our luggage and car at the hotel and the staff said no problem. So we left and came back and my husband went to the desk to get the car to his surprise which I did not read on the website or they did not tell me about when checking in was there is a fee each day with the hotel for parking the car for the amount of days you are there. Which is fine but at least they could have said something to we could be expecting it but for Friday thru Monday the expense was $120.00. No choice to pay it and learn to ask ahead of time the next time. So the hotel staff told us that our car would be ready out front shortly so we waited ... and waited .. about 30 mins later my husband went back in to ask about the car and they apologized but they forgot to inform the bellhop to go get our car so after about about another 30-40 mins our car finally arrived. The only other issue I had was my checking account got charged twice but after a call to them it was quickly fixed. Overall this hotel experience was mainly about location you can not beat being that close to Times Square or Broadway, there is a lil store on the backside of the hotel across the street which was open 24/7 which was nice for drinks & snacks and there are several food places open around the hotel 24/7.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Don't do it! Got it on Groupon and they are completely unorganized. We paid for a king and got a double with broken AC. They switched us to a king the next day that had not been clean - black,curly hairs all over the sheets and tub and fresh coffee stains everywhere. They "made it up to us" with free wifi but SHOCKER, there wifi was down the entire next day. Garbage cans to catch dropping water are in every hall bc the hotel leaks!!! I mean WTF??? Stay away!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Thebritegirl,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your hotel stay. Although it is never pleasant to hear of our shortcomings your comments are instrumental in helping us achieve total guest satisfaction. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you faced during your stay. Your comments were shared with the team in an effort to correct and prevent the same from reoccurring. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make up for this experience as regaining your loyalty and trust is important to us.

Yours In Hospitality,
Wakefield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel many times - when it was a Sheraton - and it WAS great. Since it's become "The Manhattan..." it's horrible. The clientele swarming the drabby dingy lobby resembled a crowd waiting for agricultural work visas. The once wonderful pool is no more - being converted into something else. The hallways smell like cigarettes, security is non-existent, bathrooms are antiquated, rooms are tiny, service is poor. When we walked into our room, we noticed that there was no coffee maker. We did eventually receive one. The next day, there was no replacement coffee packets, so I called housekeeping - they said "we ran out". The room AC would NOT go bellow 72 degrees, no matter what. I wanted 68 degrees, so I could get some sleep (it was over 90 degrees outside), but the room stayed too warm. I don't care how close it is to attractions - THIS PLACE IS A RIP-OFF!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jake C
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Jake C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear of our shortcomings your comments are instrumental in our quest for achieving total guest satisfaction. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the issues you faced and for our inability to meet your expectations. We value you as our guest and would like to know if there is anything we can do to make up for this unfavorable experience as your loyalty is important to us.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Only just checked in and the reception staff are awful !
Queues waiting to check in the man at the desk very rude, when I asked why wifi wasn't free in rooms & only in lobby - he just shut me down and said it was the companies policy. Considering we have just been across USA with two kids and free wifi in every place we have stayed this is totally unacceptable for New York !!!
Lobby area small and cramped - you'll have to wait for the updated review after the first night ......

2 Thank FMTV
Dear FMTV,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unfavorable experience you had during the check in process. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you to make up for this experience as your loyalty is important to us. We do hope you enjoyed the remainder of your stay at the Hotel

Swedesboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

found The Manhattan on line through Hotels.com; it was a good deal considering it was Times Square. The Lobby was adequate and the help was nice. We got to the room and the pictures on line are alot nicer then the actual room itself. The room was older, also it wasnt as clean as you would like it to be. We had problems with the TV not turning on so i pulled out the dresser the TV was on, and saw so much dust and stuff that i just called the front desk. The maintenance man came up, but just fixed the TV. That was fine. Overall, not bad, but i think we will stay at another hotel the next time we are in Times Square.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple