“Pleasant Stay”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at the Manhattan for a week since it was a great location and fair price. We were worried that our experience was going to be like some of the other negative reviews but they were misleading. The night we arrived the bathtub drain was clogged and we thought our fears were being confirmed. However 1 call to reception and it was sorted in 10 minutes. The maintenance guy and the maid were very proficient. The room we stayed in (no.847) was a corner suite, it was spacious and we had awesome views. We were able to leave the ironing board open and still move around freely. The bathroom is small and does need some upgrading but the shower was fantastic - good way to start the day with a pressurised shower! The rooms and linen were always clean - fresh towels and soaps daily. We didn't eat at the hotel ever since star bucks and so many other choices were so nearby. Great central location as everyone's mentioned. Overall we had a pleasant stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher up and corner room would be a plus!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel have definitely seen better days. It is a hotel in Times Square so I can only imagine the amount of wear and tear it has seen. The room was on the 6th floor facing 7th Ave. Everything just felt very dated and worn. Got a "cheap" price of 180 for one night while friends were in town and booked the day of. Bathroom smelled like smoke, hairs in the tub, but nothing alarmingly horrible. The AC unit was old and put out mostly damp feeling air. For the most part, it served its purpose, no frills, central location. Could probably find better for similar price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank kwhitchurch
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Hands down, the worst hotel experience I've ever had. The one positive about this place is the location- it is in a great place.

Here's what is wrong with it:
1) Upon checkin, the extremely rude female concierge told me the hotel was full (I'd booked months in advance). Needless to say I demanded a room and got one, but it was in a lower level than what I paid for.
2) For some reason, at all hours day and night there were 50+ people sitting in the lobby sprawled out across floors on laptops, playing games in circles, etc. Kindof annoying.
3) I'll leave it at this, the walls are PAPER thin and there was some serious "activity" going on in the room next door. So loud we couldn't go to sleep.
4) I don't know if this was just my room, but the air didn't work well at all. The air would reset to the default every 2 hours so we couldn't get a consistent temperature.
5) The lack of a restaurant for breakfast or drinks irks me a little bit.

I'm honestly trying to think of something positive to say, and the only thing I can think of is that one of the managers was nice upon checkout, and since we didn't get the room level we paid for he gave us a tiny amount of money back.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! If you do, call ahead every day for a month and make sure they don't give y...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Robert R
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Robert R,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Hotel. I sincerely apologize for the unfavorable stay experience you had at the hotel. We want all our guests to experience quality, variety & value in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and I sincerely apologize that we failed in our endeavor to meet your expectations. We do hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you on your next visit to the city.

Yours in Hospitality,
Brendan Moraes-General Manager.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Other reviews nearly put us off this hotel, but in our opinion they are wrong. This is a great hotel in the very heart of mid-town Manhattan. We had a bedroom [number 2207] on the top floor and it was just wonderful at the price and for New York. It was large with two queen size extremly comfortable beds, great and quite air conditioning, tea & coffe making machine, big TV and a decent bathroom with bath and shower combined. The room we had even had a decent view, again rare in NY at this price point. The downside was poor noise insulation to adjoining rooms and the corridor outside to the other rooms. No facilities on site, but there was a very good choice of fresh continental breakfast items from the mobile unit near reception. Huge choice of places to eat close to hotel. You can easily walk to Times Square, Central Park, the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Centre, Tiffanys, Trumph Towers etc. Also excellent for Metro to take you quickly and easily to everywhere else on Manahattan island. So we couldn't really fault the Manhattan Hotel and we're fussy people!

Room Tip: top floor - ask for the refurbished ones with fluffy white duvets
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScenerySteve
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Near Times Square......this hotel had several groups of children/adults from the Worldstrides tour group. They handled us very well. This hotel is worn and tired in areas....some peeling wall paper, some bubbles in ceiling plaster/drywall, the grout in the bathroom floors could be cleaner but the bed linens looked spotless, the towels were clean, the trash was emptied and I would stay here again. I do not know what the hotel cost as it was included in our tour price but the location was very central to a lot of things as the majority of anywhere we went was done by walking. I don't think you can beat it for the location.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jamiern
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My parents recently stayed at The Manhattan at Times Square and were very happy with their choice - good value in a great location.

They were celebrating a milestone wedding anniversary whilst in the hotel and Raluca and the team were exceptionally helpful in making them feel extra special in celebrating and assisted us with some gifts in the room which was much appreciated. Thank you Raluca!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nathe17
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Booked on the hotel's website and got a better deal than the discounted sites. Then noticed the site had the room cheaper. I called and they agreed to credit me the difference. When I checked in to the hotel they did not have my double bed room available. There was some bad weather and apparently guests decided to stay. The manager (Tim) came out and offered that they could move me the next day; he apologized profusely and offered a credit to me. I was very happy with this. Tim even called me the next day to see if I wanted to change rooms, I of course did not since I was already set up in a room. The hotel was clean and the staff was very nice. I would recommend the hotel and definitely would stay there again. Aside from some much needed updates, the hotel was a great place,.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family