“Excellent Location and Comfortable Rooms”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was in New York for only two nights and found this hotel perfect for such a short trip as we had everything on our doorstep including dining options and easy access to shops. We were a party of six women ranging in age from 27-55.

Location
The Manhattan Hotel is in an excellent location as it is situated just a few blocks North of Times Square which is only a two minute walk away. always easy therefore to find on maps etc and get your bearings. As it is on Broadway, there is always hustle and bustle outside the hotel (but not huge crowds or anything) and taxis are easy to come by. It is a block away from Radio City and New York staples such as the Magnolia Bakery. Ellen's Diner is literally around the corner-this is a diner where the staff sing their ways through their shifts and is a nice way to start the morning.There is also a handy dinner option as Rosie O'Gradys, a restaurant is also beside the hotel. This is a typical"Irish" restaurant serving a typical American menu. but doe to its location, prices are not cheap and are the same as Irish restaurants (e.g. $30 for beef medallions, the cheapest steak dish). The food was lovely, couldn't fault it. Macy's is only a ten minute walk, or less, as is central park. Broadway is close to fifth avenue and shops such as Hollitsor and Tiffanys are also ten minutes or less. Port Authority bus terminal, where you can get buses out to Jersey Gardens Outlet mall, is only five minutes away. Arrive early for buses as there are often long ques and you have to buy your tickets etc. Tickets are $13 return. The Manhattan Hotel location suited us perfectly for such a short trip.

Rooms
We had two double rooms on the ninth floor. The manager told us the nicer rooms are on the higher floors but we requested a room on a low floor as one of our party doesn't like heights. Rooms were a very good size, quite big by New York standards with loads of rooms for three-five large suitcases on the floor. There is a good size wardrobe in the rooms also with a few hangers provided. Bathrooms are basic in style with a nice strong and easy to work shower, Basic toiletries are provided( shampoo, conditioner, body lotion) as are face cloths. Beds are comfortable and we didn't experience any noise form the street below. There is a small amount of noise from running water in nearby rooms and you may hear people talking also (this didn't bother us as it was our friends). We never turned on the television but it was very large and widescreen. Rooms very clean and had a slightly dated style. I thought they were perfect

Staff
Staff in the hotel were helpful and courteous at all times.

There was no late check out facility as our rooms were booked up. Check out is at eleven. We left our luggage in the concierge until the evening. We didn't eat in the hotel or avail of the fitness facilities so I can't comment on these.

Overall we had a lovely time at this hotel and I would stay here again due to its location and the room comfort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank EDonn
There are newer reviews for The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This hotel has great potential. The location is excellent, safe and close enough to Times Square without overwhelming. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, but the bathroom needs renovation and the cleaning could be better, too. The heating system needs to be changed as well; it kept clicking itself on and off all thru the night waking me each time. The doors’ springs are not working properly and so doors were slamming and echoing throughout the east coast. You must have heard it if you were here. Now for the bad but easily fixable: 1) Wi-Fi, almost $15 extra to get it in the room, though it is free at the lobby so the place had people lying on the floor like alligators in the Florida heat. Fix: add to the room and advertise as free. Your image is being tarnished by a lobby full of bodies, some in ugly pajamas. 2) The guests. The hotel appeared to be packed, mostly with families and youth. At my floor, there were people coming and going at all hours of the night. Some even stayed in the hallway with their doors open chatting loudly and laughing until I sent them to bed in three different languages so they got it. I complained to the front desk at check-out and the person did not even look at me when apologizing. But here is an easy fix: reserve lower rooms for families of young children and youth, and put us business travelers at higher floors until we meet in the middle. This way, at least some of us will have a decent night sleep to keep employed and continue to take nice vacations. Either way, hotels win.

Room Tip: Read my review and negociate price, room location, and maybe free wi-fi, why not?
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I came to thishotel two nights ago after a very bad week (I live in the city – my apartment needs repairs, among other troubles) and I was not happy.

The very sweet desk clerk Maxine was absolutely wonderful to me. She and I got into a silly conversation about nail polish (of all things!) and she insisted on giving me a bottle of polish. It may have been the first time I smiled all week. Truly the bright spot in a bad week.

The hotel itself is very comfortable - great pillows. A little shabby, but can't be beaten for price, convenience and Maxine!

Room Tip: Maxine looked in the computer and steered me away from a "noisy" room. Ask the clerk you g...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at the Manhattan at Times Square on Super Bowl Sunday. Once I arrived at the hotel the check in process was very quick. I had asked for a high floor room, but only got a sixth floor room. I stayed only one night, so it wasn't not a be deal.
I asked the concierge for a good deli, and he recommended the Carngie deil, 3 blocks up the street.
That deli was a good choice.
Location just a few blocks from Times Square. The benefit was the location within one block of the tour company, On Board tours of New York pickup area

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I will never stay anywhere but Times Square again. This location couldn't be more perfect. Right next door to Mamma Mia, and around the corner from Phantom of the Opera. It was so great to walk out the door and be in the middle of everything. We paid $210 on hotwire for 4 of us to stay in this hotel in 2 double beds

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JMontCanada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We checked into this hotel for the last night of our trip, decided to extend our visit to NYC an extra day & got an excellent price for the Manhattan on Hotwire.
We were very pleasantly surprised, location was excellent, staff were very friendly & helpful! Especially Tim in the lobby, super nice & went out of his way offer help or advice.
The only complaint we had was other guests a few rooms down who felt they could take over the hotel & were so noisy with their children running the halls after midnight. Front desk staff were very apologetic & tried their best to deal with the situation when we called to complain. It's not the hotel's fault and they did try their best to deal with it by sending security when we called.

We would definitely stay here again! Rooms were spacious & more than adequate, very clean, staff friendly & helpful. Location could not be better! Amazing deal through Hotwire!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Excellent staff on arrival. We were on the 17th floor at the end of a corridor. The room itself was huge with a big bed, chair to relax in as well as a desk. I had a really comfortable nights sleep and I think due to being so high up, you could only just hear the buzz of the streets below. I had packed earplugs as I am a light sleeper but didn't need them. The bathroom has a fixed shower over the bath, which I always hate, but it was clean. The bathroom was a bit tatty in places and needs a refurb though, although from what I hear a refurb is planned. This wouldn't stop me returning to the hotel however, because every staff member we encountered, couldn't do more for us and were very helpful. I'd also prefer a kettle to a coffee machine in the room because the coffee tasted gross, but that's just me. It would also have been nice for their to have been an in-room guide to the hotel to inform you of the hotel's facilities and locations, like the fitness centre for example.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor if you want to be above the noise of the streets and Times Square is a very bus...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple