“Nice hotel in a great location”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #296 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here last weekend for 2 nights and got the 50% off rate through travelzoo. It was a great deal and included free wi-fi. Our room was very clean and not too tiny for us and our 2 kids (3 and 1.5). The requested crib was already set up in our room when we arrived around 5:30 pm. Check-in and check-out were very quick.

The location was great! Perfect for traveling with 2 little ones. Walking distance from Rockefeller Center and all the kids' shops in Times Square (such as M and M world, Disney Store), and about 10 minutes walk to Central Park, FAO Schwarz, etc. Our friends were at the Sheraton across the street which worked out perfectly.

The valet service for parking was actually a little cheaper than self parking.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank xiaowangzi
Write a ReviewReviews (7,949)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the much nicer, updated and cleaner Sheraton across the street. The room I was given first looked as if it had not been updated since the mid 1990's. The room was filthy; dust in the baseboards, hairs in the shower, dented and scuffed walls, dirt soaked bed skirts, stained carpet, disgusting windows and the list goes on and on. After waiting an hour to be changed into a cleaner room my only compensation was a choice of free $14 WiFi or a whopping $50 off my bill. My new room was only slightly cleaner, but I did not have anymore time to argue. For the next three days, my room key would randomly stop working. I had to go down to the front desk and have a new key activated SEVEN times within a four day stay. They kept telling me that my cellphone was messing with it, despite the fact I would have the card in my hand while walking to my room and it would still not work.
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. Your room will be filthy and the management will attempt to smooth talk you into not being upset about pubic hairs being all over the bathroom floor.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jamie P
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Jamie P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. It is disheartening to learn from your comments that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of attention to detail with regards your room cleanliness and for the malfunctioning of your room key. I want you to know that we take our guest comments very seriously and use them to better all our services offered at the Hotel. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you to make up for this unfavorable experience as winning back your loyalty and trust is important to us.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brendan Moraes- General Manager

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was our 2nd stay, and again we weren't disappointed. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Location can't be beat. For the best price we called and got a good deal. It is an old hotel, but it was clean, and although some of the furnishings are older and not up to some people's standards, I think overall a good value.

Room Tip: The higher floors will be quieter, and the further you can be from the elevators the better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The first thing you notice about this hotel is the location, literally on the doorstep of Times Square! Very friendly welcome from reception staff and also the concierge guys who took our luggage to the room and told us the basics about the hotel. The room itself was very clean, looked after and comfortable. The only drawback to our room was that it was close to the lifts and they were quite noisy. This didn't really cause a problem as we were up and out early and not getting back until late. Housekeeping was very regular and very good. I honestly could not fault the hotel and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a clean, comfortable friendly place to stay with EVERYTHING on the doorstep. Writing this makes me wish I was still there!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt D
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Location is great for sure! However, the bath and carpet were old and dirty. I could see some rest of food (I guess) behind the nightstand. Other than that, sheets were clean white and the desk was also clean and OK. Front desk manager was kind.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2013

If it is your first time in NYC (as it was mine), this hotel is situated in a very good location. A few steps from the famous Times Square and surrounded by different subway lines - a good basis to explore Manhattan. It is a very touristic area though, and of course you will find tourist traps around the hotel if you are not carefull. The hotel was actually good for me because, as I said, it was my first in the city and I do recommend it if you are in te same situation. I probably won't stay there in a future visit to the city - I will choose a place that has more identity with the locals. The rooms: After a trip to Europe and staying in the small hotel rooms in the old continent, I was happy I got a big corner room in The Manhattan. Big and confortable bed, comfortable linen. Bathroom was big too. Everything was very clean and organized, but hotel was quite old inside. People at the front desk and all other employees were very nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Took wife to NYC for big birthday and found a good savings deal at The Manhattan. Great location for what we wanted to do, room was nice size, good condition of the room & property, but snowed for 2 of the days and had to go out for food or drinks, nothing offered at Hotel other than a drink machine. When I got back home and checked the charges on my credit card on-line, found there was a $50 additional charge for what I don't know from the Hotel. Had to call 5 times before I could get anyone to answer.... Hung up on 3 times.... 1 time couldn't hear me from a land line phone call. Told me on 5th try it was for misc. charges to our room. Told me we didn't have any and it would be credited off.... Still on my account..... Checkout receipt showed a credit for the $50... What is the deal.... Next time tell your guest of the charge on check-in......... How about getting it off........
Great Location....

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed room and for upper floors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family