“Great location, old and durty hotel”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #298 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location, old and durty hotel”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Location is great for sure! However, the bath and carpet were old and dirty. I could see some rest of food (I guess) behind the nightstand. Other than that, sheets were clean white and the desk was also clean and OK. Front desk manager was kind.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed March 12, 2013

If it is your first time in NYC (as it was mine), this hotel is situated in a very good location. A few steps from the famous Times Square and surrounded by different subway lines - a good basis to explore Manhattan. It is a very touristic area though, and of course you will find tourist traps around the hotel if you are not carefull. The hotel was actually good for me because, as I said, it was my first in the city and I do recommend it if you are in te same situation. I probably won't stay there in a future visit to the city - I will choose a place that has more identity with the locals. The rooms: After a trip to Europe and staying in the small hotel rooms in the old continent, I was happy I got a big corner room in The Manhattan. Big and confortable bed, comfortable linen. Bathroom was big too. Everything was very clean and organized, but hotel was quite old inside. People at the front desk and all other employees were very nice.

Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Took wife to NYC for big birthday and found a good savings deal at The Manhattan. Great location for what we wanted to do, room was nice size, good condition of the room & property, but snowed for 2 of the days and had to go out for food or drinks, nothing offered at Hotel other than a drink machine. When I got back home and checked the charges on my credit card on-line, found there was a $50 additional charge for what I don't know from the Hotel. Had to call 5 times before I could get anyone to answer.... Hung up on 3 times.... 1 time couldn't hear me from a land line phone call. Told me on 5th try it was for misc. charges to our room. Told me we didn't have any and it would be credited off.... Still on my account..... Checkout receipt showed a credit for the $50... What is the deal.... Next time tell your guest of the charge on check-in......... How about getting it off........
Great Location....

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed room and for upper floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I took a chance when staying here, as I had not heard anything about this hotel beyond the reviews. But I'm so glad we were adventurous and tried it. The Manhattan turned out to be a clean, comfortable, convenient hotel with a great staff. It has the charm of old New York with dark woods, gold accents, and white marble décor. Admittedly, it's not a 5 star, but it had everything we needed. Dorothy at the front desk, the doorman Gene and their team leader Keith took great care of us! We consider this place our new go-to venue and would recommend it to friends. If you'd rather spend your money on dinner and a Broadway show within walking distance versus a room you'll be too busy to sit in, this is the place for you!

2 Thank Cindy G
Lindenwold, New Jersey
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I work in the entertainment industry and travel to NYC very frequently for photo shoots and interviews with different recording artists. I've stayed at a few hotels, but The Manhattan at Times Square is one of my favorites. It's so close to Times Square, and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. I've interviewed multiple people at this hotel, and the hotel never minds. They've even upgraded my room for me twice! I've stayed twice so far, and I will definitely be back in the near future. My only complaint, and it's minor, is that the rooms are not as soundproof as some of the other hotels at which I've stayed. You can hear pretty much everything, but I'm a heavy sleeper and it really didn't bother me. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John P
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for the NRF Conference in January 2013. The rate was north of $200.00 and the room had holes in ceiling that exposed wiring and also allowed me to hear noise of opposite room! Very poor value for rate paid! I would not recommend this hotel given the rate as there are far better options for the money!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lubes60
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Lubes60,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at the Hotel. Although it is never pleasant to hear of our shortcomings, your comments are instrumental in helping us achieve total guest satisfaction. On behalf of the entire team at the Hotel please accept my sincere apologies for the unfavorable stay experience you had because of the wireless High Speed Internet Access installation work being done on the guest floors. We value you as our guest and want to know if there is anything we can do to make up for this experience at the Hotel as we want to remain the hotel of choice for you and your company in New York.

Yours In Hospitality,

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Lynnfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I wanted a hotel near the theater district since we were only going to be in Manhattan for one evening and just needed a place to sleep at a decent price. The good news is the hotel is a short walk to the theater district, is priced right ($105 including taxes for a Sunday night in March), the room was clean and the staff was efficient and friendly. The down side is the room was smaller than anticipated but not a real problem since we were there for only one night, the TV was bordering on being non functional and the electrical outlets didn't work...huh? Yeah, they didn't work so we couldn't charge iPads, phones etc. Other than that we were very pleased primarily because of price point and location. We'd be back for a one nighter to take in a show, doubt we'd be back for more than that.