“Don't stay in this hotel!”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #298 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The thing that I can say about this hotel is the location is excellent. Other than that, my stay at the hotel was awful and the service that I received was awful. When we arrived I split my money and left some in the room for safety reasons. Two days later I went to get the money along with some comedy club tickets that I had bought and both were gone. In total $540.00 was taken. It took three days for the security director to talk to me. He said no one had been in the room although I knew that it had been cleaned and my sister was also there to say it had been cleaned. They said once I was back in the UK they would get back to me and as of yet I have heard nothing back, even after I emailed them multiple times. I would never stay here again and would never recommend it to anyone. I know three couples and a group that are going to New York and are looking for accommodation, I have told them not to stay at this hotel and through that they have lost 12 potential customers. I would never stay here again and the hotel really dampened my experience.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank EllisRigby
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear EllisRigby,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the unfavorable experience you had during your stay. Please know that the safety and security of our guests is paramount to us and I can assure you that reportings of any lost / missing items by our guests are dealt with utmost urgency and concern. Our investigation and records show that there were multiple team members including the Security Director who contacted you to assure and help in every way possible including assisting in reporting the incident to the local law enforcement authorities. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you as there is nothing more important for us than winning back your loyalty and trust.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Great location, very centrally located. We got a very good deal through a promotion for this room during the winter. The front desk staff who checked us in was friendly and courteous. The room and bathroom was spotless. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here in December 2012 for a conference. The front desk and bellman said that the boarded up store fronts on the street level were from the restaurant recently leaving. So the first impression of this place is bad. The floor we stayed on was very run down and our room was pretty beat with use. There were no nice features like granite countertops or new bedding. I would guess from the other reviews of this hotel that some of the other floors are more updated than the one I stayed on. Therefore, if you do decide to stay here, demand the most newly renovated floor. Don't expect much more than a room. There are no restaurants or convenience shops because they all left for better hotels.

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated floor or don't even bother.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Otto-Mags,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences you faced during your stay at the Hotel. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of making enhancements to our guest amenities offered at the Hotel and appreciate your understanding while we transition through this process. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make up for your unfavorable experience as we want you to return and enjoy the new enhancements we have to offer on your next visit to the city.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brendan Moraes-General Manager

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was very comfortable with very nice linens. The room was spacious and included a coffee maker and daily replenishment of complimentary coffee pods. There is no refrigerator. Rooms were cleaned daily but the carpet could use a good vacuum along the baseboards. The heavy duty hinge springs while a good safety feature cause room entrance doors to close and latch with an unavoidable loud bang that can be heard several rooms down. Walls are thin and next door revelers may keep you awake. Bring ear plugs just in case you have loud neighbors. This hotel is located in the heart of the theater district just a few blocks from Times Square central and walking distance from Hell's Kitchen (great international food) and multiple deli shops. All other Manhattan venues are conveniently accessible by the numerous subway routes. If your goal is to visit Manhattan and you cannot afford luxury accommodations or prefer to use your money for activities and food then the Manhattan at Times Square is a recommended affordable and decent accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kayak1949
Reviewed February 1, 2013

As most of the reviews indicate, this hotel is a great location but, this hotel needs some basic work like some rubbing alcohol and some paint! From the lobby to the halls to the rooms.....tired and looks dirt. The sink and tub back up so taking a shower and bath at same time. Yuk! Now, don't get me wrong, this is also great value for the location so......balanced. Also, this hotel has no amenities such as coffee in the morning (all found within 50 steps outside). Desk help very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near elevators as the are even louder than average ones! Also, lots of traveli...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is from my blog, "Mrs. Teabody Greets the Day"

The Teabodys had their travel plans jostled about a bit with Friday's little snowstorm, but Sunday's sunny skies seemed promising and soon enough the pair found themselves chugging away to NYC where they would encamp for two nights at The Manhatten at Times Square. Mrs. Teabody has a fairly long association with this hotel as the "Sheraton across the street from the Sheraton" along 7th Avenue. Booked last minute through Expedia at an absolutely reasonable price, the Teabodys did not expect much and were not disappointed. First of all, the lobby, where hotel guests flock for "free WiFi," looked like some sort of electronics refugee camp with folks in every sort of posture and garb could be found at any hour doing whatever it is they MUST do with their devices. No chair? No problem. Any spot of floor sufficed. Plop. Not an attractive welcoming sight. More like a terminal than a hotel lobby. The security guard posted nearby the elevators never gave passers-by so much as a by-your-leave, and the concierge looked bored to tears. Arriving in room 2012, the Teabodys found the room to be adequate. True, the following 48 hours would reveal that the box spring under the mattress was almost assuredly broken in half in the middle making for a tumbly kind of sleeping; the bathtub never truly drained which meant one had to finish one's shower by rinsing the feet separately after emerging; all electronics serviced by Comcast were unexpectedly thrown off the grid around 4:30 Monday afternoon meaning no television or WiFi in one's room and meaning that Mrs. Teabody could not participate in a teleconference. So the stay was not joyous. But it was also not awful. Especially for the price.

The stay was not without its positive side. The hotel is located close to a deli, several restaurants, a really fun gallery shop and mass transit. The Teabodys enjoyed a nice prix fixe dinner at Rosie O'Grady's and a light supper at Heartland Brewery. This was not a foodie trip or a theatre trip. This was for business and aside from the missed teleconference--which was not the hotel's fault--the accommodation was fine. The highlight of the stay was each encounter with MAXINE at the front desk. While all the staff at the front desk were quite friendly and competent, Maxine was truly a standout. Not only did she offer great advice, but she made a gracious gesture Mrs. Teabody will never forget. She made Mr. and Mrs. Teabody each a delightful cup of tea. Suddenly all the hassle and disappointments of travel were thrust into their appropriate level of importance. Maxine knows hospitality.

Not every hotel stay knocks it out of the park. If the Teabodys had been looking forward to a five-star experience with outstanding room service, The Manhatten at Times Square would have been a miss. Given the nature of the trip, it was absolutely adequate and good value for money. And Maxine made it all memorable. Isn't it amazing what a nice cuppa can do? Thanks, Maxine!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel 21-01-13 to 25-01-13.

Check in was quick and easy, we were offered help to our rooms but we managed ourselves. The reception area is very spacious, there is a few staff in that area but on the whole we didn't see many staff at all. The corridors to our room were very dated, walls were dirty near the elevators. The room itself was huge, lovely big bed comfy, good wardrobe/iron facilities and free use of a safe.
One thing I didn't appreciate was having an adjoining door with another room - when exploring the bedroom and opening that door to realise it backed up on another door it startled me when a rowdy group of Americans started shouting abuse asking who it was!!! Door locked and suitcases went up against the door!! Bathroom is very small but basic, the bath unfortunately had a crack in so we couldn't have a bath but the shower was fine. Maids came daily made the beds refreshed towels etc. We were lucky enough to have an end room so we only had the rowdy family next door and I will admit the walls are very thin we could hear every word! However once you've walked the lengths of New York all day you literally crash out and don't hear a word!

The location Is absolutely AMAZING. I urge anyone to stay at this hotel for its location - after all your only using this hotel for a bed! It is seconds from Times Square, a short walk from the Rockefeller, Central Park etc. it really is the best location!

Overall I would stay here again.... Definitely the location is perfect! Only thing il have to grasp is the tip system in America - even when service was poor they expect a large tip!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple