“Useless staff, good tourist location”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #299 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here while relocated due to Hurricane Sandy. The room was old and antiquated, with a broken a/c and heat system that never worked. Spotty Internet only available via Ethernet for an outrageous $15/day. Security was weak - the guard let anyone in and never checked room keys. Worst of all, the service staff seems personally offended that they would have to do anything at all, endlessly transferring between desks if you call for anything. The laundry service is crazy expensive and they lost our clothes until we demanded them at checkout - and the manager refused to speak with us about it. Definitely not recommended, you can do a lot better for the price.

• Stayed: November 2012
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Eactress 1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at the Hotel. On behalf of the entire team at the Hotel please accept my sincere apologies for the unfavorable experience you had during your recent visit to the city. I want to assure you that this is not the type of service we pride ourselves on delivering to all our guests. Please know that we deeply value your business and want to restore your confidence back in our Hotel. I invite you to contact me directly if there is anything I can do further as there is nothing more important than regaining your loyalty and trust.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brendan Moraes

There are newer reviews for The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here 2 days after hurricane Sandy - great location, staff friendly and very helpful, rooms clean, beds comfortable. My only concern is I am claustrophobic and can't use the elevators - I thought the stairs would be right next to the elevators - but they were not!! Each time I wanted to go up at night or come down in the morning I had to contact the friendly security people who would let me in and out of the building (next street) and I would have to walk round to the front of the building to meet the rest of my family. I guess you could say thats the price I have to pay for having a phobia!! But as I've said it was a great location.

Room Tip: Request a low floor if you can't stand elevators!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 22Frances22
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed there with one other couple for 6 days. Prompt check in with no troubles. Rooms clean and adequately sized. Only a couple of blocks from Times Square. Surrounded by great night life and restaurants. Would stay here again my next time in Manhattan.

2  Thank babsitter28
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location, can walk to nearly everything.Time square,Central park,buses,trains, bars restaurants.
No free internet in the room but you can get it in the lobby.
Some great diners around for breakfast etc.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank taffyojones
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Manhattan Times Square Hotel was an average hotel for the price. The view of downtown was amazing at the 20th floor, if one should choose to stay at this location ask for a corner room it is a great view. The price of the hotel is very inexpensive compared to other hotels in the area and their are a lot of places to eat near by. Our room was clean with a nice bed, the hotel services I can't complain very helpful. My only concern was we stayed in a room above a smoking room and the smell was strong in the bathroom. But otherwise I would recommend this hotel to outta towners. Gladly.

Room Tip: There are plenty of places to eat nearby and the location is excellent for sights. Besure to get a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

In a city with hundreds of hotel choices avoid this one at any cost. Dirty, overpriced and old. This hotel is a dog. Yes it's close to Times Square but that is only reason to stay here. Cost is ridiculous at 500.00 a night!!

3  Thank RobKNewYork
Brendan M, General Manager at The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear RobKNewYork,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience at the Hotel. I sincerely apologize that your experience was unfavorable and we were unable to meet your expectations. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do for you on your next visit to the city.

Yours in Hospitality,

Brendan Moraes

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in September, 2012, and I have to say don't believe all the negative reviews. You can not get any better a location, times square is pretty much right outside your door. It was in walking distance to central park and broadway shows. The rooms are huge, but they are a standard size hotel room and was fine for us as we didnt spend much time in there. We arrived a few hours early and had no issues checking in. All the staff we dealt with were pleasant and helpful. I would definitley recommend this hotel for the price!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple