“Give it four stars for location and deduct three for everything else”

The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #294 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 7, 2012

21 floors of tired looking 1950's style motel rooms, with poor service and false advertising: you know, where they say there's a pool but you get there and it is "under maintenance" and you ask around and the pool has been "under maintenance" for weeks? So, you already know you paid too much for facilities that aren't available because you choose this one out of the hundred you could pick from because it had a pool (which, by the way, wasn't operative when you booked though you wouldn't know that from the web site).. Then you get a bill on check-out when you've prepaid which you confirmed at check in and you are told "oh, we're sorry, we have a new data system" but you really feel that they are only correcting it because you caught it. So many choices in NY: don't make this one.

Room Tip: choose another hotel is my best advice
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teezee
Write a ReviewReviews (7,943)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I normally wouldn't have gone to such an expensive hotel but I found a deal for the 3rd night free. I haven't stayed in other hotels in New York. The accommodations were alright, everything was clean, nothing was too old or dated. the one thing that I really noticed was the every time I walked into the elevator it had a strong smell of shampoo or some sort of cleaning product, which is good cause it shows that they were cleaning it. The rooms were a good size. There is no wifi in the rooms, you have to go to the lobby to use the internet but you have time limits on the usage. If you are also a starwood preferred guest (spg) member- you can get free breakfast in the morning as well.

BEST thing about this hotel is its LOCATION!

1  Thank Thomas T
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have only two nice things to stay, so I will start there:
1) good location with friendly staff and
2) the beds are comfortable (they still have Sheraton beds, although they are no longer a Sheraton hotel)

The Bad:
1) The a/c didn't work in the rooms. Not only in my room, but also in the three other rooms management and the hotel engineer (very friendly men) brought me to consider as alternatives. First, they tried to give me a whole song and dance about the motors, how long it takes them to kick in, etc. When they realized I knew about the inner workings of an HVAC (these old units look like thoseinstalled in the 1970's/80's), they admitted that many of them just don't function properly. I guess I should be grateful it was October and not June. After two requests for a fan, they brought me one and told me to open the windows on the 21st floor.

2) The tub and sink were blocked up and the Front Desk and Reception wouldn't answer calls from rooms, so after my first shower, I did not get another one, as the tub was half full for the remainder of my stay). Gross.

3)We checked in on October 1, Sheraton dumped this hotel, effective October 2 and our checkout was October 3. Chaos enused. The internet never worked (except in the lobby), the front desk could not provide a receipt on checkout because they no longer had access to my reservation. I was told to call Sheraton and do the legwork myself. Folios were not provided under room doors, so everyone had to stand in line to check out (at times, there were 20+ parties in line and never more than two people working the desk).

Summary: This is an old, rundown hotel, with ownership that clearly was unwilling to conform to Sheraton standards, and was then kicked out of the Sheraton/Starwood brand. The carpets are old and stained, the bathrooms tiny, the amenities barely acceptable, the furniture aged/beaten and the plumbing/utilities decrepit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ecotait
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The hotel has a great location, rooms are a bit small but clean, if you are going NY to enjoy the city, you should try The manhattan Time square. It was a good, clean, comfortable hotel. There is no wi-fi in the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank NeslihanC
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed in this DUMP for three nights from September 28th to Oct 1st. We checked into a dirty room that had not been vacuumed with a bathroom that smelled like urine. There were also several hairs in the tub. They tried to mask the smell with air freshener, however, all that did was make the room smell like urine and flowered scented air freshener. I insisted they move us to a clean room - which was slightly better, but still not vacuumed properly. We were traveling with friends who's room was in the same awful condition. The Hotel in general is tired and needs updating. The carpets are worn, the paint is peeling, the elevators are slow (with worn out panels) and there is mildew in the bathrooms. There is no room service. All this for only $350 per night (plus tax). We immediately went in search of another place to stay in the area, but with no luck as it was the weekend and everything was booked - so we were stuck here for three nights. I travel a lot for work and have stayed in everything from budget motels to luxury downtown hotels - this hotel is the worst place I have every stayed. Since we were in beautiful New York City and there is so much to see and do, we rarely spent time in our hotel rooms and refused to let this awful place ruin our getaway weekend. The only thing this place has going for it is the location - very convenient between Central Park and Times Square - also, the bed was comfortable and the mattress looked newer. We had a great time visiting New York and plan to go back soon - but we will NOT be staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE...the three rooms I saw needed a good cleaning and upgrading.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dan S
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I should preface this review by stating that I used to live in NYC and was talked into staying in Times Square area a bit against my will in order to accomodate some guests who had never been before and wanted to do the tourist thing.
Unless you are a large family looking for a good steal (as the rooms are larger than most in NYC), you could probably do better.
The PROS: service was always courteous and useful. location (if you want to be in an area swarming with people 24/7 and close to TS). room sizes are slightly larger than most in NYC.
The CONS: location (if you don't want to be in an area swarming with people 24/7). the hallways were disgusting - I'm talking about wallpaper falling and stains everywhere. bathrooms need cleaning and renovating. TV remote was nearly impossible to use and the movies on demand function didn't work (the screen kept stalling).

Consider the Sheraton across the street as an alternative.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Flew up from Florida to visit with a good friend in Philly. We decided to take the train into NYC for a 3 night visit so we could spend some time catching up and sightseeing together. We are two 52 year old ladies and this hotel couldn't have been better accommodations for us as well as the perfect location where we wanted to be. We were able to do everything on our bucket list.
Staff was ffiendly and accommodating. Check in was smooth and quick. We were two ladies checking in together - the gal noticed we were assigned a room with only 1 queen bed for the two of us, so offered to change our room so we could have two queen beds and each have our own bed - this was marvelous and much more comfortable for us during our stay. We appreciated this availability and flexibility on her part.
Oscar our Bellman was very friendly and accommodating. Answered any questions we had about the area and hotel - always had a smile on his face when we would come and go.
Security Guard by the elevator pretty much stayed to himself and never said anything to us when we would walk by - other than a nod now and then. Also, there is signage by the elevators which states you will be required to show your room key to pass this security area and board the elevators. We were never asked to see our key whether coming back late at night or during the day.
Hotel was 4 blocks away from the Rockefeller Center where we hung out early each morning to be on the Today Show. Then another short walk of about 3 blocks to be in an audience for a taping of a Dr. Oz show. That was fun!
We also were close enough to hang out in Times Square (only a 2 to 3 block walk the other direction) and watch people. We felt perfectly safe walking around and also sitting in the Time Square areas during the day or night hours - just watching people. They now have large bleachers for people to sit on and just hang if this is your desire.
Our room was on the 16th floor (#1621), it was an average hotel room size - I know some of this hotel's reviews advise of very small rooms. We did not have this problem. We had two queen beds, flat screen TV and a coffee maker. The room also had a large desk for working on with a separate light and internet hook ups for your computer. We did not utilize the internet in our room as we didn't want to pay the $14.95 per 24 hour charge - and we were wanting to get away from our responsibilities for these 3 days - not keep in touch with everyone. The hotel does offer free internet in their lobby. However, their computers were always full and lots of people sitting around utilizing all the chairs for self lap top users. I don't know if connections were good, as we never opened our computer during our visit.
We could see Times Square lighs and buildings out of our room window looking to the far right. Our room overlooked 7th Avenue. Was a bit noisy with traffic noises, but we didn't mind as this was New York!
Had a strange experience the first night we were there. We were sitting on our beds watching TV at a #12 volume setting and chatting together. All of a sudden we had a knock at the door. I answered the door to find a lady in her jammies asking us to please be quiet as they were trying to sleep next door and we were being very loud. We'll we were a bit offended as we didn't think we were being loud at all. I've always considered myself very aware of others around me and respect everyone. I was also suprised that a guest came next door to ask us to keep it down. I would think that would have been the duty of a hotel employee or security personel of some sort. We felt badly she had to come over herself to complain to us. As soon as I closed the door we turned off our TV and lights and went to sleep right away. As we didn't want any more "trouble" from our neighbor!
We didn't have a problem with noises in the hotel personally, b( and we were just steps to the elevator and floor lobby area) but apparently the walls are quite thin, as two 52 year olds were yelled at by a neighboring guest to be quiet and this was before 10:00 pm at night! Wasn't even late hours or wee hours in the morning.
Our room was clean, except for the sprinkler head and smoke detectors up near the ceiling. I would recommend that housekeeping wipe those items off now and then. Lots of cob webs and thick dust on ours.
I would definately recommend a friend, family member or fellow traveler to stay here. The next time I stay in NYC I will give the Manhattan Hotel a call first - I would love to stay here again. We had a perfect stay!

1  Thank ConnieLovesToTravel