“Absolutely Perfect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“Absolutely Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2007

Exceptionally spacious and an excellent value. This one-bedroom suite
for our family of four was roomy enough to really enjoy as a place to
eat breakfast and dinner and relax after walking for hours around the
city. Although the furniture had a few nicks and scratches and the carpeting needed to be stretched, the beds--even the pull-out sofa--were very comfortable, and the decor was pleasant. Two very special treats were being able to see the top of the Empire State Building from the windows, and the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building
from the balcony. Having a balcony to sit on to have coffee, read the paper, listen to the relatively quiet sounds of the city, and feel the breeze was a delight. Please note, only a small portion of the rooms have balconies. They supplied free papers each day--the Journal, the NY Times, and USA Today. It was very nice to be located in a residential area, because it was quiet and there was a DAG's (Dagastino's) grocery store a couple blocks away. The 34th and 42nd crosstown buses were very close, and Grand Central was a short 5 blocks away. I would look forward to staying there again.

• Liked — Roomy and good value
  • Disliked — Insides of dresser drawers were not perfectlyi clean
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

This was our second trip to NYC, planned this time to see my daughter who now works in NYC. It was my 10-year-old son's first visit. After getting a Spring Break trip to NYC cancelled due to weather and losing $2000 in airfares and hotel costs, we researched the most cost-effective place to stay when we re-scheduled our trip in May. We were delighted by our choice in the Shelburne Murray Hill. The room was spacious and clean, the staff friendly and accommodating--especially the doormen--one even let my son sit on his Harley and treated us like royality!! The busstop is right across the street from the lodging, and the subway is not far either--handy for our daughter to meet us or for us to explore this fabulous city. The kitchenette allowed us to save $$ on meal costs. On 3rd Street, east (?) of the hotel, are neighborhood delis and groceries that are not touristy or expensive. The view from the top of the hotel is great. This hotel is very family-friendly but caters to adults, as well. I can't say enough about our stay in NYC or this wonderful hotel--a real bargain for an expensive (by OKC standards!!) city. One tip--pack sensible walking shoes and plan your visit with a map! We definitely will stay here again on our next visit.
Janice, OKC, OK

• Liked — The space and the cleanliness!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything negative--it was a perfect stay!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank sings4Him
Suisun, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2007

This was the greatest one night stay in my life. This was my very first trip to NY but because of this hotel, it won't be the last. Everyone was very friendly and the hotel was very modern and clean. I was only there for one night with my teenage daughter and niece. This was a side trip to a college pick up trip for summer break. I had no expectations but was very pleased at what I found. Everyone was so helpful and full of smiles. Jose the bellman always happy to help and gave good info about dinner. But Denise the doorman, where do I begin. If you need information from breakfast spots (Scotty's) to internet usage, he is the man to see. He is the main reason I will return to this hotel and have already told several people about it. The location is great, the price is right and the service is outstanding.

• Liked — Very clean and friendly staff
  • Disliked — No wireless access
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank MzEMR
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2007

Checked in to a non-smoking, king studio suite on 5/11/07. Front desk service from Michelle was very friendly and helpful and she was able to check us in several hours early. Most of our room’s furnishings were aged heading toward shabby - worn carpet, furniture looking well-used and tired, like it came from a second-hand store, the wallpaper and paint were peeling and bubbling. There was a dark blob of something on the ceiling and I couldn’t tell if it was a patch of mildew or maybe a cocoon. There was a general musty smell in the room and it was dark and slightly dingy, even with all lights on. We tried to open a window, but neither window was working properly and we had to wedge a towel under it to keep it open a few inches. We decided to take showers after our flight in to NYC and discovered at least 8 patches of mildew on the bath tiles plus the bath drain was blocked. I complained to the assistant manager but I saw no sign that he did anything. I concluded after finding myself standing in ankle-deep dirty bathwater the next morning still staring at mildew that the assistant manager must have ignored my request or else sent a maintenance person who watched TV for ten minutes instead of fixing the drain and cleaning the bathtub surround tiles. I complained again and Michelle was at the front desk this time and she was very apologetic and immediately made a call to maintenance demanding an expedited service visit to our room. This time we saw evidence that someone had worked in our bathroom as the drain problem was cured and they may have wiped a few of the mildew patches away but left most of them intact.

All was not bad, though. The room was sufficiently large with a big closet that contained an iron and ironing board. There was a small kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, stove and oven, sink and a full set of cookware and eating ware. We liked the fact that there was a safe in the closet with a user-programmable combination so we could keep valuables locked up tight. Aside from the assistant manager, service was very friendly and efficient. The hotel is situated in a nice, safe and fairly quiet neighborhood (there’s a police kiosk at the end of the block) that was an easy five minute walk to Grand Central Station, a seven minute walk to Times Square and a 10 minute walk to Broadway theaters.

We ate lunch at the Rare Bar and Grill based on recommendations from friends and the “best in town” reviews of Rare’s burgers that were posted in the hotel elevator. Service was a bit below average and inattentive, but the huge French fry sampler platter was actually worth the caloric/fat intake, featuring excellent regular fries and seasoned waffle fries, plus maybe the best sweet potato fries I’ve ever had. We went with the regular hamburger (the Kobe beef burgers were intriguing but $21 !?!); our burger was very average, but perhaps that was because we ordered it medium-well, so I’d opt for a medium next time. We tried Rare’s breakfast buffet the next morning which was a very good value, at least by NYC standards, at $12 and included unlimited juice, coffee, cereal, pastries, bagels, eggs, fried potatoes, sausage, bacon and very good French toast. We also went up to the Rare View rooftop bar on the 16th floor and it was quite nice on a pretty spring afternoon, with the view and complimentary snack mix making up for the $9 prices for beers. I think we were the only people up there over age 30, though.

Overall, this was a disappointing stay. Ordinarily, I would have spoken to a manager and demanded to know what he or she would do to make things right for us, but between the fact that they had booked every last room for the weekend (meaning there probably was nothing else better available), the fact we had already paid for the room as part of a Travelocity combo package plus we had a very tight, packed schedule, I did not bother. If you decide to stay here and they assign you to Room 5S, ask for a nicer one. That won’t be an issue for me as I will likely stay elsewhere next time in NY.

• Liked — Michelle at the front desk was very helpful; nice rooftop bar
  • Disliked — Mildew and standing water in your bathtub are unacceptable
  • Stayed May 2007
1 Thank lousygolfer
AlvinLopez, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2007
Dear Lousygolfer,

I would like to offer my most sincere apology for the grave inconveniences you experienced at the Shelburne. I assure you that the lack of service you received from our Maintenance Department and our Assistant Manager has already been addressed with their managers, in order to prevent anything similar from reoccurring. Please contact David Sandler, our Director of Front Office Operations at 212-689-5200 at your earliest convenience; he would like to further address your situation.

We look forward to our much anticipated renovation, which is set to begin this fall. I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back once our renovation is complete and provide you with a positive and unforgettable experience.

Alvin Lopez
General Manager, Shelburne Murray Hill
alopez@affinia.com

Sunnyvale, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2007

Our family of four, including two teenagers, stayed at the Shelburne for six nights in April. Overall, we were very pleased; however, there were some things where there should have been more attention to detail. To start with, we arrived at the tail end of a big storm, which meant our flight and taxi were delayed, and we ended up arriving at the hotel at 3 a.m. We were very tired, and yet the clerk was not very welcoming. Although I had requested a non-smoking room on a high floor, we were given a room on the 6th floor, which I suspect was not non-smoking because there were ashtrays in the room and a faint odor of smoke. In addition, the sofabed was not made up, as I had requested when I made the online reservation, and it took 20 minutes or so for someone to bring up some bedding. I must say the room was very quiet, facing as it did the back of the hotel. The bedroom of our one-bedroom suite actually had quite a nice view of the Chrysler Building. The rooms were large--there was a living room with dining area, full kitchen, and spacious bedroom. The sofabed in the living room was atrocious; however, the king-size bed in the bedroom was the most comfortable we've slept on anywhere, with high-quality sheets and duvet. The bathroom, while small, had a large medicine cabinet and was kept very clean. The bathroom is located off the bedroom (since these used to be apartments), meaning others using it have to go through the bedroom. I noticed that the lampshades in the bedroom were a little worn, and the drapes were hard to close. The management informed us (after I filled out the hotel survey) that the hotel is scheduled for a full renovation in August, including all new kitchens, bathrooms, and furniture. There is a nice, large lounge area off the lobby, with flat-screen TV, newspapers, books, and comfortable seating. Computers are available for use there at $6.95 for 15 minutes. The doormen were always very friendly. The best thing about this hotel is its location--we were only about 5-10 minutes' walk from two subway stations (one is Grand Central), 10 minutes from the Empire State Building, and about 15 minutes from Times Square. We ate a great breakfast our first day at Scotty's Diner, just a block up on Lexington, and enjoyed a nice dinner our last night at Sams Place at 39th and Lexington, a small, cozy Italian restaurant with nice ambiance and food. All in all, I'd recommend the Shelburne. I did a lot of research before reserving, and the Shelburne offers great value. Yes, you could probably stay for a similar price (we paid $275-$300 a night during spring break) in the Times Square area, but that would be for a standard, small hotel room. Here, we had room to spead out (essential with teenage boys!) and were able to fix our own breakfasts and snacks. We'd stay again, and feel that with a little more attention to detail, the Shelburne would be truly excellent.

• Liked — Location, spacious rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Jeanette1
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2007

The Shelburne is a beautiful hotel in a great location! Walking distance from Grand Central and many great restaurants and bars nearby. The room is huge for NYC standards! The room and bathroom were very clean and even includes a kitchenette. Lovely lobby and den type sitting area where you can hang out and watch TV - furnishings and decor are very modern/contemporary. Don't miss the rooftop bar which has amazing views of the city. Had lunch at the hotel restaurant (Rare) and was far better than expected. We went this past weekend for our anniversary and would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Liked — size of room and location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dh2868
Ängelholm
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

We looked forward to our "trip of our life" to New York to celebrate my 40th birthday and my wifes pregnancy...!
I had spent so many hours in front of hotels.com just to try to find romance and charm at a fair price. I chose wrong.
Shelburne Murray Hill is an old worn down hotel. They say "chandeliers, wallpaper and orental rugs", it should say just old furnishing.
The "suites" didn´t feel clean even though they were.
On the slideshow they show restaurant-look-alike pictures of their unique rooftop garden. It was closed; and absolutely no outside serving in any way.
Sorry to say, this was not the weekend we had looked forward to or paid for. Do not go there.
PS Hotels.com made big effort in trying to help us. They were good.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The feeling of being cheated by their marketing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Swedish_Pilot
AlvinLopez, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2007
Dear Swedish Pilot,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Shelburne with us, and offer my apologies because it was such
negative one during such an important milestone. Unfortunately some of our information in unauthorized websites is incorrect, and I apologize if the site you used had the wrong description. I do realize that our product is in need of renovation, and are scheduled for a much anticipated renovation beginning this fall.
Please accept my apology, as I hope to be able to welcome you back in the future to a renovated suite

Alvin Lopez