Shelburne NYC-an Affinia hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Pod 39 Hotel(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Seton Hotel(New York City)
Very Good 4/5
Kitano New York(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Fitness center
Good 3.5/5
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
Dylan Hotel NYC(New York City)
Good 3.5/5
5,051 results
All reviewsmurray hillrooftop barthe empire state buildinggrand central stationrare bar and grillpillow menuscotty's dinernew yorkwine hourone bedroom suitelexington avenuefew blockssmall kitchentimes squaretwo queen bedscoffee makerhousekeeping staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I stayed at the Shelburne Murrary Hill as part of two week business stay (attended training at Cornell ILR's Mgmt. Center on 34th) in Manhattan during January and February of this week.
From the Shelburne to Cornell it was about 12 minute walk.

While it was cold, it could have colder and there was no snow during my stay in Manhattan. During the two weeks, I stayed at Residence Inn Times (39th & Ave. of Amr.) Square, Affinia Dumont and the Shelburne. I would rate the Residence Inn as being the best in terms of room comfort, quality of staff, and newest facility. Affinia Dumont (34th & Lexington) has comfortable and larger rooms than the Residence Inn and the neighborhood is less hectic and offers more food vendors and eating establishments. The Affinia has the Best Door people in the City. The Shelburne...hm.... I actually walked from the Residence Inn to the Affinia Dumont, pulling two rolling cases. After my stay at the Shelburne, I opted to stay shorter than planned and walked a few blocks Affinia Dumont and offers many eating establishments and food vendors/stores. The check in at the Shelburne was smooth. I asked for a quiet higher floor room away from the streets (Lexington, 38th and/or 37th). So I had a view of other rooms, but my room was quiet.

The rooms have very old and dated decor. As mentioned in other reviews the curtains are dirty. My curtain had two hooks off the rails so I climbed on a chair to fix it. The light on my dresser did not work and I mentioned it to the front desk and they never did anything about this. Compared to a recent stay the Residence Inn in Beverly Hills, my night side stand light was inoperable and they fixed it the same day.

The Shelburne is one of the newer purchases of the Affinia Group of Hotels and my guess is that they are maximizing their dollars out of the purchase before they have to remodel. The rooms are large for Manhattan standards. But everything is old. The bathroom is small and mostly clean but not as clean as the Affinia Dumont or Residence Inn. There is a small kitchenette which is one of main reasons I stayed here. Typically I eat breakfast and lunch at my business and/or training and want a light or takeout meal at dinner time. So I like to have fridges and microwaves in my room.

I found the bed to be uncomortable, almost sagging on one side. Also it was difficult to moderate room temp. Between the Affinia, Residence Inn and the Shelburne. The Shelburne was least comfortable. But, it was the cheapest. I believe I paid advanced booking rate of $149.00. Versus $170.00 - $200 for the Affinia and $190 for the Residence Inn. For $50 - $60.00 more the Affina Dumont is a lot better than the Shelburne. The Affinia is really tall so the higher up the less traffic noise you hear.
They have a good gym, offer free fruit, smaller but nicer rooms than the Shelburne.

I used the gym in the basement at the Affinia and they were some good equipment in the gym.. I also used the washer and dryer in the basement too. But I think they may have been some leftover bleach in the washer because there were some stains on some of my clothes. There were even some hotel offices in the basement. Hm..not sure if that is good or bad.

I tried to onsite restaurant, The Rare. I had their Roquefort Burger and the Sweet Potato fires which were tasty. But at better place for burgers is the Jackson Hole on 3rd between 34th and 35th. Nearby.

There are many restaurants nearby, especially on 3rd.
I tried Carl's Cheese Steaks, Blockhead Burritos, Imperial Pizza and Brick Oven Pizza. All were okay. All tried a good Chinese Restaurant (next to Italian rest.) on Lexington, between 34th and 33rd. Across from the Chinese Resturant is the Murray Hill Diner which was good for breakfast. This neighborhood of Manhattan is called Murrary Hill. Since there are many Curry restaurants some dub this area as "Curry Hill." Compared to the restaurants near the Residence Inn...Curry Hill has more better choices to choose from.

My favorite restaurant in the area is a local chain called the Moonstruck Diner. I went there both for breakfast and dinner.
On 3rd between 32 and 31. Also one on 38th and Madison.

I also enjoyed tasty Korean takeout in Korean Town, on 32nd between 6th & 7th. at Mandoo Bar. Seoul Garden down the street and the 2nd level is yummy sit down Korean restaurant that features many soups.

Quick bites & coffee at the chain Guy & Gallard. Cheap Chinese at Spades on 3rd. Tasty Malaysian food at Maya in Chinatown.

During this trip, I tried Deli food at Katz's in the Lower East Side on Houston street. and the Carnegi Deli on Broadway near 55th. I also recent was in Beverly Hills and tried Factor's Deli on West Pico near S. Beverly. After some thought, Carnegi has the tastiest Hot Pastrami!

For sundries and tolietries, there is Duane Reade Pharmacy on 34th and 3rd Ave. D'Agostino Markets nearby on 3rd.

I found shopping interesting in the Lower East Side and at Bloomies in SOHO which had better deals than Bloomies at Lexington and 59th.

I saw several shows...Tango 2x and the Adult version of Sesame Street, Ave. Q. Which was really enjoyable.

Since I enjoy watching the Sopranos on cable. I took the Sopranos location tour to Jersey. You get to visit the Lumber Carpet Man, Pizza Land (quick drive by), Satriale's Pork in Kearney, NJ and the Bada Bing. While not the most scenic part of Jersey it was interesting and fun to get out of the city and see shooting locations of the Sopranos show. You also go through the Newark/Harrison part of Jersey. There is a new Hampton Inn in Harrison, just on the other side of the river from Newark and there PATH train station, subway and Newark Penn Station nearby so that could be option to save $$$, taking the train or subway into Manhattan each day??? I've seen rates between around $100 and Trip Advisor reviews are good, probably because it is newer property. Harrison High School is featured in the Sopranos and so the local La Pizza.

I also took the subway to the Museum of Natural History around 83rd? The subway stops right below the Museum. For some reason, I did not enjoy the visit. Next trip...I'm going to the Met.

I walked by some budget hotels during this trip...the La Quinta on 32nd and the Red Roof on 32nd located in Korea Town. Also walked by Hampton Inn on 31st. I noticed many of hotels were not that tall, so I wonder if street noise would impact the stay. I can not see paying big bucks to stay at the Red Roof or La Quinta. I probably stay at nicer Hilton, Hampton Inn or Marriott in Jersey and commute in than to stay at Old, Unclean Manhattan Hotel and pay $180 - $220.00.

In fact, I probably stay in Jersey at at clean, nice and comfortable (quiet room and comfortable bed) and commute in (for business) than stay at crummy expensive Manhattan Hotel.

I'm due back in Manhattan in both May for two weeks and June for one week. I will first consider the Residence Inn (Ave. of Americas, I wrote a review about this property) or the Affinia Dumont (wrote a review about this place too). Or might consider commuting from New Jersey. In 2006, I stayed at the Club Quarters Midtown. The bed was more comfortable than the Affinia, but my bed was next to the noisest lift.

I don't think I stay at Shelburne again unless they update their decor and get more comfortable beds and more adjustable climate controls but then i probably would not get $149.00 rates either. So for me it is Residence Inn Times Square, Affinia Dumont or a good value clean and modern place in Jersey.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
10  Thank SeminarTrekker
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Had a great stay at the Shelburne. The staff was great and friendly. The room was large and clean. The furnishings and bathrooms were a little dated, but for the money it was super. We had a few bumps in the service the first night - no sheets on the pull out. But all in all a great place for families needing more room.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2007

During February break we (wife plus 2 teenagers) stayed 2 nights at Shelburne Murray Hill Hotel in mid-Manhattan. For the price ($398 f/2 nights, including tax and all fees) I highly recommend staying there. We had a suite with 2 queen size beds. The location was well within walking distance to Grand Central, Empire State Building, Times Square, and more. Our room was huge by NY or any standards. It had a seperate bedroom, large living room and kitchenette. Having four people and spending multiple nights the extra space was great. The room was very clean. The furnishings were above par. The bathroom was very small and did not have an exhaust fan so after a shower it took a while to clear the fog. Our room did need updating, but the front desk clerk did tell us that a major renovation will be happening. A sign of that was scaffolding staged outside the front side of the building. Our room was on 37th St. and stayed busy throughout the night, but that's NYC. We also had a nice top half view of the Empire State Building from our room. The staff that we had contact with were very nice and helpful, no complaints. We did request additional sets of towels and received them within minutes. We also felt very safe in the area, even at night. Overall, we had a very good experience during our stay and would return in the future.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank MainePinetree
Reviewed February 19, 2007

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ....PAY THE EXTRA $100 TO STAY AT A BETTER HOTEL!!!!!!

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay in NYC at this hotel. Our first reaction when we walked into the room was how outdated everything was and how there was NO VIEW.

The bathroom was the size of the bathroom in my daughter's Barbie playhouse!!

There was an unidentifiable dried yellow substance on the wall in the bathroom and dried white substance on the nightstand in the bedroom. The carpets were extra filthy and the chair in the living room was very uncomfortable.

After complaining and being told that there were no other rooms available, we ordered room service and were overcharged $40 for a bottle of champaigne because they told us the Room Service menu in the room had the "old price".

The hotel also charged us $54 to park our car every time we moved it.

DO NOT STAY HERE if you have any type of standards.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelGal79987
Reviewed February 11, 2007

the shelburne is a great hotel to stay out while on vacation,i love the large room and kitchen complete with stove/oven/microwave/coffe machine and refrigerator.the bed was huge/queen size very comfortable.the front desk is very helpful as is the doorman.the sheburne is a great value and no need to worry about anything.my trip was fascinating,im so glad i stayed there.many restaurants and cafes in the area,and centrally located to everything.grandcentral station and timessquare within walking distance.i would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2007