“Amazing hotel-incredible staff-would stay here all the time if we could afford it!”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #152 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed at the Affinia for the first time in November, and booked the room for 2 nights-Friday and Saturday. We had to go to NYU on Saturday morning for my son to have an MRI. When the hotel emailed me to ask if there were any requests for our trip, I asked if we could have a room with a nice view. I told them we'd be there for my son's medical appointment and wanted to make the most of our trip. We were not only given a great room with a view of the Empire State Building, but we also received a book for our son and warm cookies and milk during our first night! Every person we dealt with was unbelievably kind and accommodating. The location of the hotel is excellent, the room was amazingly clean, and the lobby was very comfortable to hang out in and people watch. I would highly recommend the Affinia to anyone traveling to New York!!! Unfortunately, we're on a budget, and have to go with whatever is cheapest when we head up for our son's MRI every 3 months...but if price were not a consideration, this would be our regular spot.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank owensmomdd
Write a ReviewReviews (5,006)

Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed at the Affinia Shelburne for 3 nights at the end of Dec 2009.

PROS:
-Location - In a "quieter" area of Manhattan, lots of little diners and restaurants around (check out "Fagiolini's" 2 blocks away at 35th and Lex - great Italian food at amazing prices), but still very close to Grand Central Station so you can get anywhere on the subway
-Great staff - everyone was helpful, very friendly. Thanks to the doorman (Denis?) for arranging transportation to the airport for us!

CONS:
-We travelled with my parents and each had a studio deluxe room. Theirs was a bit larger than ours, had a couch (ours only had a chair), and had a larger bathroom with more counterspace (ours was much smaller with nowhere to put stuff). So, not all rooms in the same category are the same. Ask for a room ending in "27" if you want the larger room.
-The studio deluxe rooms do not have any utensils, dishes etc in them. You have to call down to request a "kitchen kit". This is an annoyance at the best of times. But worse for us, it took them almost 2 hours (and 2 phone calls) to bring up the kit! I was not impressed.
-We just happened to stay above or below someone who was smoking in their room (could smell it first thing in the morning for their morning cigarette and before bed) and the smell was quite strong in our room. We did call down to the front desk to make them aware of the situation and they promptly sent someone up to try to find the source. They offered to have us change rooms but I didn't think it was worth it (we were only there for one more night). I know it wasn't the hotel's fault that one of the other guests was smoking, and I do appreciate the way they handled it.

Overall, I would stay here again if I got another amazing deal on the room, otherwise I think I would try somewhere else, just because there are so many other amazing hotels in New York!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunfun72
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2010

Dear sunfun72,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Your feedback entitled "Very Good, but not Great" on TripAdvisor really captured my attention. Although I am pleased to hear that my staff exceeded your expectations, I would like to personally apologize for the Cons you identified in your posting. Please be assured that I have addressed your feedback with the members of my Executive Team to go back and review with their respective teams. I hope to have the opportunity to have you back as our guest in the future so that we can ensure that next time your experience with us is truly Great.

David McManus

Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in May 2006 - it was called the Shelbourne Murray Hill back then. Overall experience was good. The staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were comfortable and the location was also good.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2009

A friend somehow got us a very good rate on this hotel. If I had paid the internet price I would have been very disappointed.
Upon check-in we discovered that our room was directly across the hall from the elevator. When we went to the front desk they were very helpful in giving as a different room, but only had two-bed rooms available.
The beds were very, very comfortable, but one squeaked with every movement.
The kitchen was nice sized with refrigerator and microwave, but only came with two drinking glasses and two wine glasses, no utensils or dishes.
The bathroom, which had a great view of the Chrysler building, was nice, but did have some mold in the caulking around the shower.
There were only two elevators, and frequently one was out of service, so there was usually a wait for the elevators.
But the staff were wonderful, they always went out of their way to be helpful and offer suggestions.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2010

Dear candyp63,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor documenting your most recent stay with us. I am very pleased to read that our staff exceeded your expectations. We are continuously striving to ensure that our guests enjoy a most comfortable and customized experience at our Hotel. Please be assured that I have addressed your feedback on the condition of your bathroom facilities with our Director of Housekeeping to ensure this does not happen again. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future!

Jennifer Baldwin

Reviewed December 27, 2009

Larger than average rooms relatively newly remodeled. World class bed!! Some street noies as our rooms faced Lexington. We had booked 2 rooms through their website around 4 months prior to arrival. Having originally booking a 2 room suite, we arrived at the beginning of the recent Noreaster snow storm. When a party in our room could not get out of NYC, the hotel gave us two standard adjoing rooms at the same rate. This gave us more room than we originally booked. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. We really liked the Murray Hill neighborhood which is relatively quiet, mostly residential, with numerous inexpensive dining options on 3rd avenue, 34th St., and on Lexington. (The hotel is on 37th and Lex). Try Penelopes for Lunch or Breakfast, around 30th and Lex. The hotel's restaurant and room service had a very good breakfast and trully excellent burgers for lunch and dinner at acceptable prices. A couple of bagel places (Daniels and Bagels and More) within 2 blocks, with ok but not noteworty fare. However, none of the 3 Affinia hotels in the area had open restaurants on Christmas, which was not disclosed until that morning. The fitness center was small but well equipped and lightly utilized. Convenient location to the subway, 4 1/2 short blocks to Grand Central Station on 42nd St. where there are very large hotels and a lot more activity. Wifi had good coverage and reasonable speed, but not free. I think it was around $65/ week or $15/day. 2 computers available in lobby could be rented and printing available. Free to print flight boarding passes.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2009

Dear slocal,

Thank you for your recent review of our property on TripAdvisor. My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that the accomodations and service levels provided by my team exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again soon - hopefuly when there isn't a Nor'easter in town!!

David McManus

Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at the Affinia Shelburne on Christmas night, and were extremely happy with our choice. From the moment we arrived until our departure, our stay was perfect. The room was extremely comfortable, including a small kitchenette, which we had not expected. The staff went out of their way to ensure our every need was met, down to providing a tea service in our room. Our teenager was even able to get a pillow that hooked into an iPod, which was perfection for her. We have stayed in Affinia hotels in New York City, but this was our first stay at the Shelburne. We will definitely return!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank northeasttravel
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2009

Dear Northeasttravel,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for your review of our property on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us over the Holidays and look forward to having you back as our guest in the future!

Jennifer Baldwin

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Disregard other negative reviews. If they want to be coddled and handled like children, then they should go to the Four Seasons and pay $1,000 a night. The Affinia Shelburne superseded my expectations beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I have never found a better value and a better stay at a NYC hotel, and believe me, I've stayed at many. Because of the intimacy of the hotel you get to know the staff exceptionally well, and all are more than willing to be there to serve guest needs. Superlative service all around: from front desk, to housekeeping, to bellman, to maintenance. Every request we made was fulfilled in a timely fashion.
The vibe here is hip, trendy, and extremely relaxed, in fact I would even describe this hotel as sexy. Because of our busy schedule while in NYC we were not able to experience the Rare Bar & Grill, though I'm sure it would have been a treat to suit its name.
Rooms are the largest in which I've stayed in NYC, without the hotel being a newly built skyscraper. I was afraid about the cleanlienss of the room prior to my stay when I heard that they accepted pets, but all fears were quelled when I walked into an exectionally crisp and clean room, complete with the most adorable accent pillows and blankets.
Nestled in the quaint, quiet and residential Murray Hill neighborhood, we were (mercifully) distant from the noise and street crowds of Time Square, but just a quick shuttle ride at Grand Central, just 4 blocks away, to get there. It was probably the greatest hotel, location-wise, I have ever stayed in.
While not without its few cons (vending machines only in basement, wireless with surcharge, no heat or air when temps are middle range, but didn't mind, was never uncomfortable), the Affinia Shelburne was a marked difference to my typical NYC stay: one definitely for the better.
Would I recommend this hotel to someone? In a New York minute.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank JDNicholi81
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Dear JDNicholi81,

My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne. Thank you for your wonderful review of our Hotel! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service exceeded your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future.

I wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.

Warm regards,