“Most Excellemt Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, Canada
“Most Excellemt Stay”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I am just getting ready to depart this Gem of a Hotel but would be remiss if I didn't comment on the past 7 days that we have spent here. The hotel, the staff and the neighbourhood are just excellent and we have no complaints whatsoever! Despite what you may read from others on this forum this hotel is exceptional and we will return again.

We bought a seven day NYC Transit pass and travelled throughout the city on buses, subways and ferries and I gotta tell you that this is the way to go. You get to experience this fantastic city and her people. I LOVE NEW YORK and the Affina Shelburne!

L & L
Hamilton, ON Canada

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
grand rapids,mi
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Recently remodeled hotel in a charming neighborhood. We were able to walk to many locations including Times Square, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Plaza, Grand Central Station (subways).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Missouri
Reviewed October 6, 2009

It was my first time in New York. The staff at the Affinia Gardens gave wonderful directions, insight to the city. The hotel was very central, easy to come back to and as quiet as it can get in the middle of all the action. Lisa

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Dear 1 smalltowngirl,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager at the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at the Affinia Shelburne on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff was friendly and helpful. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the future!

Jennnifer Baldwin
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Reviewed September 26, 2009

The location is really a very good one for the weekly rate deal we have got from the internet. The first queen bed room we've got at the 11th.floor was small (not a surprise, it is a New York std.) and the air conditioning device was annoying, blowing straight to my face, after complaining to the front desk they didn`t show much interest for my situation; she just said they were sold out ! after that I had the opportunity to speak directly to day manager, the gentleman was very kind to us, understood our situation to and acted promptly to get us better accomodations, so we have got very happy ! It has a nice modern decoration. Internet access from the main lobby is too expensive ! We recommend this hotel because they have people like Mark that are ready to walk that extra-mile to help a foreigner in the concrete jungle.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
ashelburneny, Assistant General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
Dear Jrocco59,

My name is Jennifer Baldwin and I am the Assistant General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future.

Regards,

Jennifer
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 22, 2009

This hotel has some definite pros and cons, many of which other reviewers mentioned. A couple pros: even the smallest room (which we had) is big for New York standards, the staff was quiet but still courteous and helpful, and the rates were reasonable. Lobby spacious and pretty, with computers. (They had some kind of spa-like aromatherapy thing going on scent-wise, which my sister loved, but was a little much for me.) We didn't try the restaurant or fitness center, but both looked perfectly acceptable. And we didn't venture over to the pool at the other Affinia nearby, but that's a nice option.

Some cons: slow elevators, lots of noise from renovation (room next door to us,) no coffee maker. Also, we were told our "My Affinia" requests were ready and waiting (which they weren't, and never did show after repeated requests.) I'm torn over the location. Yes, it's walkable to Times Square, 30 Rock but definitely not a stroll. Really convenient to Grand Central and Empire State Building. Only close to green line of the subway. I guess it depends how close to the 'action" you want to be.

So we went into this fully aware of those types of details, from tripadvisor, but I had high hopes that the Shelburne could exceed, because we were using a gift certificate that I won at a charity auction. The certificate was issued by the hotel itself, and invited the recipients to be "special guests" of the Shelburne. It wasn't specific as to what that meant exactly, but with a $1000 value, it seemed like that could be a really nice weekend. Let me just say, they were kind enough to tweak the terms right away, letting us check in a day earlier than specified, and also letting us add an extra day for a reasonable price. But from that point on, our experience was NOT SO HOT.

From my initial contact with the manager, David, I had asked what would be included in our weekend as "special guests" (their words, not mine.) The manager said that because the room was a $500 value (it had two beds) our first 2 days were the full value of the certificate. No meals, no extras, no drink at the bar. Okay, not what I was expecting to hear, but surely a $500 room surely would be nice, right? WRONG. When we arrived, they stuck us in one of the smallest rooms, across from the elevator, right next to a room under contruction. (One morning, we were not so pleasantly roused from sleep by a drill; the next day, a shop vac.) The bathroom vanity was ridiculously tiny, with no shelf or anything, with only the back of the toilet for keeping your toiletries handy, which is not great for three people. I realized pretty much right away that this was not a $500 room. A quick check online put our room at $250 (with the larger, more suite-like rooms going for $369 and up.) And I was REALLY irked when I saw online that this room says max 2 people when you are booking, and here they stuck THREE of us in there. Our room had no coffee maker, no lovely granite pantry or kitchenette (but we managed to squish some drinks and snacks in around the honor bar items.) Yes, we fit just fine, but this was not what was implied by the certificate. If it had been just me, or my family, I would have complained quite vigorously, but I was with friends who didn't want to move or make a fuss. Compared to other rooms they had experienced in New York (i.e. no room to walk around bed, no room for luggage, etc) this one was pleasant and decently sized and they were not inclined to want to move. I went along with that to make my friends happy, but I was getting more and more steamed at the "special guest" line, because no My Affinia amenities ever showed up, even after repeated requests. They never delivered the paper as promised. Also, part of me was expecting at least a "Hi, how are we doing?" phonecall, or a welcoming note, but nothing. And I kept hoping our My Affinia "complimentary" kit would show up with the maid at some point. Or that internet would be comped. Or they would remember THEY had invited us as "special guests for the weekend" and offer us a drink or some breakfast. But they NEVER DID. Not even a peep.

Affinia has a long way to go to reach the level of service that they boast. We visit New York frequently and Affinia had the chance to win over new customers, and they failed, actually falling quite flat. In my experience, Kimpton properties still win hands down. It really felt like the Shelburne shut us away in the closet, despite the promise the weekend offered ($1000 value, my foot.) You don't want to rush back to a place where you are not treated fairly.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
ashelburneny, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
Dear Paulala343,

Thank you for your feedback. My name is David McManus and I am the General Manager of the Affinia Shelburne Hotel. I was disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction with your experience at our Hotel and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience it caused you. I hope you will consider returning as a guest of the Affinia Shelburne in the future.

David McManus
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 21, 2009

From my point of view, this hotel is in the best location any leisure traveller to Manhattan could seek: Midtown East, close to everything from Empire State Building (5mins walk), Macy's (5mins), Grand Central Station (5mins), Fith avenue, Madison Avenue, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square etc (all between 10 and 20 mins walk). And the location is the no. 1 asset of the hotel. The lobby is modern and nice, the rooms are semi-modern except for the bathrooms and kitchenettes which are entirely new and very nice again. Cleanliness was almost always very good, the service is only ok.
We spent 5 nights in a Deluxe One Bedroom Suite on the 14th floor (out of 16 floors in total) and were happy with it. No great views but very quiet for NYC which was great with two small kids. The room had about 50-60 sqm with living area with large sofa bed and a separate bedroom, plus the kitchenette and the bathroom. Room size was very large for NYC. All in all a very good and solid hotel in a perfect location, but also given the competitive rates, do not expect luxury when you go there.
We would definitely go there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Canberra
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I cannot speak highly enough of the Affinia Shelburne. From our arrival, everything went perfectly, with a friendly and efficient front desk, a high level of staff attention and cleanliness, large rooms and excellent decor. Our three year old loved it.

It's in a quieter part of the city but that for us meant it was a sanctuary. The neighbourhood does have most things you need and the subway is close. The pricing was very competitive too.

Five stars all the way.