“2-night policy”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, New Hampshire
“2-night policy”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Lovely hotel, but you must pay for two nights even if you only want one! They upgraded our room (overbooked?) but we needed two beds and the room only had one - they provided a cot at no charge which came with a complimentary cockroach. However, the front desk lowered the charge for the room to compensate for the unexpected guest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Stephanie L,

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced while staying with us. I am deeply sorry that your visit was not all that we hope for and expect. I would really like to speak with you. Please feel free to contact me directly with details of your stay so that I may personally ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.

Thank you, again, for your candid feedback. Hope to see you soon!

George Drepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Mayo Ireland
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Really nice hotel. Lovely room with 2 double beds and kitchen area and nice bathroom. On 7th floor and lifts were fast and no delays. Very clean with great housekeeping staff who were very helpful. Check in fast and efficient and we were offered maps and list of local restaurants. Concierge was excellent and booked some attractions for us. Wine hour a nice touch too. Good restaurant Rare in the hotel where we had a couple of meals. Will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mayo55
Dear Mayo55,

Thank you for your kind review. I am happy that you found our staff to be friendly and your accommodations to be both clean and spacious. Customized customer service is extremely important to us. I am thrilled that you found our concierge to be kind and efficient in booking attractions in and around the New York City area. Lastly, I am glad that you had an opportunity to participate in our complimentary Wine Hour, which occurs between 5pm – 6pm, 7 days per week.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We enjoyed the spacious one bedroom suite in a very good location but it's not a great hotel. Corridors are somewhat gloomy, facilities a bit old, kitchen very basic, stuff indifferent. We felt that the price tag was too high. Recommended, not highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from elevators, higher floors
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank yoellll
Dear yoellll,

Thank you for your candid review. I apologize for any and all inconveniences that you may have experienced. Please feel free to connect with me directly with details of your stay so that I may personally ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Location perfect. Hotel staff excellent. Nice lobby. Comfortable room. Fantastic roof top bar but could be better furnished. Thoughtful and recurring design on walls, pillows, et cetera, but too dark colour in elevators and walls. The Rare bar very good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Mats B
Dear Brostroms,

Thank you for your kind review. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill and is only a few minutes away from many known New York City attractions. I am happy that you found our staff to be friendly and your accommodations to be both clean and spacious. I am thrilled that you had an opportunity to enjoy the delicious food at Rare Bar & Grill and enjoyed the amazing views from our rooftop.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We enjoyed our stay and we're really impressed with the burgers in Rare. Rare View was also a great place to hang out although the rain spoiled our evening a bit! Everything met our expectations and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and spacious, the beds were comfortable and the location is ideal for access to the places in New York I wanted to visit. One of the main reasons I choose Affinia is the provision of a kitchen (being from UK, I tend to wake up very early with a pressing need for food and a cup of tea). Here, I can stock up at the local grocery and have everything to stave off the hunger pangs at my convenience. It is a place to rest in the hullabaloo of a manic city. Expensive in-room Internet although free access in the Lobby

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Dear OliveCornwall,

Thank you for your kind review. As you indicated, our hotel is beautifully located in the residential area of Murray Hill and is only a few minutes away from many known New York City attractions, including, Central Park, Times Square and Grand Central. I am happy that you found our staff to be friendly and your accommodations to be both clean and spacious. I am glad that you found the kitchenette in your room to be helpful for those early morning breakfast cravings and am thrilled that you had an opportunity to enjoy the delicious food at Rare Bar & Grill.

New York
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I'm usually go to affinia hotel and shelburne in particular.
Till this time I was happy and satisfied, but they need to refresh or renew ( at least my room 510)
Anyway, the place is a good one in NY , I'm a bit despite in regard of what i was use to find

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear OFISH92,

Thank you for your candid review. We love repeat guests at Affinia Shelburne. I am sorry that your most recent visit was not all that we expect and hope for our guests. I will definitely look into your stated concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly with details of your stay so that I may personally ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.

San Francisco
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel's virtues are its spacious and clean rooms and bathrooms, pre-war thick walls to dampen noise, comfortable beds, mini-fridges, and a reasonable lobby seating area with free wifi and local newspapers.
There also is a rooftop bar open in the warmer months with a stunning view, an organic hamburger place with all-day room service meals, and professional front desk staff.
However, given what one now pays per night for a hotel in Manhattan during much of the year, I have to mention what is missing: drinkable in-room coffee, higher-end bathroom amenities, (and along with every other similar Manhattan hotel) free wifi in the room and a reliable spectrum of free television channels.
Also, be warned that the lobby and hamburger place can fill up with screaming young partygoers in the evening, and the lobby can get crowded with vacationing young families during the day. Perhaps not the best choice for business or older travelers.

Room Tip: The lower floors have relatively little street noise, though they do face Lexington Avenue and you m...
Green Features: There is the usual signage about not changing linens every day, and dispensers of shampoo etc. in the shower rather than small plastic bottles. No paper or plastic bottle recycling.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear deekaye,

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you found your accommodations to be noise-resistant, clean and spacious. I am thrilled that you had a good night’s sleep and found our beds to be comfortable. Please be sure to try our extensive pillow menu upon your next visit!

I apologize for any and all inconveniences that you may have experienced with some of the offered amenities. Please be sure to reach out to me directly with details of your stay so that I may personally ensure that such incidents are not repeated in the future.