“Amazing”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #150 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is amazing. It just went through a gut renovation - the room and the furniture are very new and comfy. We spent 8 nights in this hotel and found our experiences generally pleasant. The staff are all very nice and warm-hearted. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andi L
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Andi L,

WOW! Our team is raving about your review, thank you. Our team is actively committed to earning each guest’s recommendation and to read that you felt, “This hotel is amazing,” really resonates with our goals as a hotel. We all appreciate your recommendation of our hotel. Our convenient location to midtown attractions, Grand Central and the Empire State Building allows our hotel to offer unsurpassed value to our guests. I hope that we will be your destination of choice when your travel plans bring you back to NYC. Please do not hesitate to email me at gdrepaul@affinia.com. I would like to see you at our new Wine Hour hosted in our lobby each weeknight at 5pm.

George Drepaul

Write a ReviewReviews (4,999)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Plus points:
Outstanding location: a few minutes walk to Grand Central Station with it's magnificient interior, superb food area (every kind of NY food you can image!) and coach points for JFK and Newark airports. Very easy to reach all the major attractions from here - just remember to pack your 'sneakers' - even the most fashion-conscious person will eventually succumb to their comfort.
Room:
Stayed in a standard double room which was modern and included a sofa, shampoo/conditioner/shower gel, TV, medium-standard hairdryer (I have very long hair), thick curtains for night-time, a safe, iron and an IPod dock. Perfect size for the two of us. We were at the end of the corridor (room 810) so this wasn't too noisy, but neighbours/doors slamming did disturb a bit (more for my partner as I took ear plugs - which I would definitely recommend taking for any NY hotel!).
Food/drink:
Didn't try the bar - looked like any typical UK pub. Weeknights there seemed to be a free wine hour in the lobby, which we only made use of once but it was great!
Friendliness:
Reception staff were extremely helpful and really went out of their way to assist, they even left a card and cupcakes in my room on my birthday. the concierge was always busy - but we helpfully found out that anything booked via the concierge incurs a commission/fee anyway so it's easier to book via the internet or direct at the location.
Downsides:
Plans were made for the roof top bar which didn't transpire as it doesn't open until May! We were there in April and couldn't find any mention of it not opening until May on any website. Internet it a pricey but free in the hotel lobby. Previous occupants old dried-up contact lenses were left on my nightstand.
New York in general:
Mostly felt very safe but felt very unsafe in some more southern parts of the state, we were clearly being targeted at one point by muggers but managed to escape, don't act like a tourist and be sensible as you would do back home. Even acidentally making eye contact with some people led to hand gesture abuse or a tyrade of unnecessary abuse from others - scary.
NY overall:
No queues at the Empire State even on a warm Sunday, just pay when you turn up, it's still the best tourist attraction but just wrap up warm as you will freeze up there! Don't bother visting the so called "best pizza places in town" - they all taste the same whereever you go but do visit Grand Central's eating concorse and just try everything that NY has to offer. Visit bar 230 off 5th for an amazing evening roomtop view of the Empire and Chrysler lit up - just don't expect to sit by a heater without investing a minimum of $150 in a bottle of champers/vodka, instead use one of their free red snuggies and wrap up warmly with your mojito, just return it on the way out or risk being attacked by a zealous bouncer! Enjoy the friendly sales banter of NY customer service assistants, 99% of them are amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for an end of corridor room, away from the lifts! Take the free Staton Island Ferry to view the...
2  Thank DMW164

Dear DMW164,

You have given us such a great review and highlighted what a wonderful experience we can offer our guests. I completely agree that we have an outstanding location to offer guests travelling to NYC. We are minutes from Grand Central, Penn Station and other NYC airport transportation options. We are close to Times Square and premiere shopping yet far enough away from the crowds that you feel like you are arriving home after an exciting day. Our rooms are spacious and clean and for only a few dollars more, we have Studios and One Bedroom Suites available for you to indulge in a functional and well-appointed space that adds value to your visit. You’re very generous to highlight that our “reception staff were extremely helpful and really went out of their way to assist.” We are always looking for ways to create memories for our guests and birthday celebration is special. I hope that when you return you wll have a chance to enjoy our new Wine Hour each weeknight evening at 5pm. We want to be your destination of choice in NYC.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

From the excellent service at check in with Alex, to the polite and very helpful service from Denis on the way out, we found the staff at this property excellent.
This was our first trip to the New York and we had an excellent weekend. The bed was wonderful which made it hard to get up in the morning. We were on the 11th floor and didn't need the free earplugs in the drawer.
The location is handy to the subway and many downtown sites.

The drawbacks - the shower stall is stylish but leaves a small lake as there is no curtain or door. Like many large hotels, no exhaust fan in the bathroom. The area has few late night spots to eat (that we could find) so you are in for trip if you have something in mind other than Scotty's Diner (which we were not in the mood for).

The details missed - the windows were fingerprinted from the inside. The grout in the shower was due for a scrubbing (but still better than mine at home!)

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor. Rooms 1111 is a corner and can be adjoining to 1110 if you need. Far enou...
2  Thank wpgtravellers

Dear wpgtravellers,

I appreciate the time you took to post a review of your stay. Your highlight of, “the excellent service at check in with Alex, to the polite and very helpful service from Denis on the way out” really made our day and put wide smiles on their faces! We train around the clock to provide genuine service that is a part of our Tender Loving Comfort movement. I am so glad that you enjoyed our Affinia Signature bedding and our playful touch to put NYC on mute with our earplugs. I hope that you will return soon and that I am able to introduce myself at our new Wine Hour each weeknight from 5pm-6pm in our Lobby. Our location is very convenient for travel to and around NYC, midtown places including Grand Central and the Empire State Building. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Affinia Manhatten before, and really enjoyed our experience. However, to enjoy your experience here, there are a few things you should know. The rooms in this boutique hotel are not all the same, even in their particular class. On our most recent stay we requested a one bedroom deluxe suite, and were place in room 910. Compared to the previous room we had, 910 was not impressive. There was no balcony (some of the rooms have them, although hotel is currently under construction so you are not allowed out on them.) The bathroom was TINY--reminded me of bathrooms in Europe. So we asked for a change of room since it was a Sunday night, and they graciously accomodated us. They moved us to 1510 (photos attached to this review.) We had a spacious living room, a balcony, a walk in shower,and of course the great plus of the Affinia is the separately located bedroom and the kitchen suite. This hotel is an excellent value for NYC. Will you feel completely pampered in luxury? No, but if you are a travelers who enjoy space, something that is a precious commodity in NYC, this hotel is completely worth the look. So what if you only have two pillows, or the water drains a little slower or the toilet flushes in a funky way; so what if they use funky smelling soap (vegen) or if the bed is a little hard (more like European beds.) These are all completely minor issues when you consider the following:
1. The people who work here will treat you like gold.
2. The price cannot be beat in this part of NYC.
3. The location is SUPER. Times Square , Bryant Park, and Grand Central are all within walking distance. (Times Square--15 minute walk filled with lots to see and explore. Grand Central is less than five minutes away.) Penn Station is a quick cab ride to the hotel.
4. There are great places to eat right nearby, where you can mix and mingle with real New York locals as opposed to the Times Square tourists.
5. If you don't like something, just ask. They will accommodate you if they can.

3  Thank krimar
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Dear krimar,

I often highlight in my reviewer responses that our hotel offers unsurpassed value in midtown and so it is wonderful to read posts from our guests that have taken advantage of all our value added offerings. Your review is terrific and I completely agree with your statement, “This hotel is an excellent value for NYC.” It is delightful to read reviews that say, “The people who work here will treat you like gold,” it doesn’t get better than that! We have an excellent team in place that is fully equipped to offer genuine service with the ability to quickly resolve any issue or request. Our location is fantastic and we allow our guests to be within walking distance of Grand Central, Bryant Park, premiere shopping, and outstanding restaurants. I hope that if your travel plans bring you back to NYC we can remain your destination of choice. I hope that I am able to introduce myself to you at our newly launched Wine Hour that takes place in our spacious lobby each weeknight from 5pm-6pm.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Loved the hotel. Nice big rooms, excellent customer service from cleaners, receptionist, everyone was really nice and helpful.
The bed is so very comfortable, I couldn't ask for a bigger bed. The room is spacious and well laid out and the bathroom is also very nice. They provide shampoo, conditioner and body wash for you which is of a decent quality.
My only complaint about the hotel is the lighting in the bathroom and parts of the room are dim so hard to see things sometimes, that said it isn't clinical at all and adds a nice ambiance. Highly recommend and I hope they keep the prices low.

Room Tip: When booking request a room on one of the higher floors, New York is a noisy city but on the 11th fl...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tnrach
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear tnrach,

You’ve made our day with your superb review of your stay. I couldn’t agree more about our, “nice big rooms,” and our staff being, “really nice and helpful.” Our staff is trained in the art of body language as part of our Tender Loving Comfort movement and I am pleased you felt our genuine approach to service. Our Affinia Signature bedding is designed to revitalize your sleep experience. We’ve recently introduced a Wine Hour each weeknight from 5pm-6pm hosted in our modern lobby to amplify the exciting amenities available when you stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back for another visit!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed for 3 fantastic nights at the Affinia Shelburne for our first visit to New York.
Great staff are friendly but not intrusive and the resteraunt on site has some excellent food the burgers are great.
We will be back and spend more time at this hotel.
For location you are about no more than 10 minutes walk from Central station.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade if available it's great value

Dear James A,

I truly appreciate your fantastic review of our hotel! It is very gratifying for our team to see a perfect review from a first time visitor to NYC that chose to stay with us. Our goal is to be your destination of choice in NYC and I look forward to your next visit. We have recently added a weeknight Wine Hour from 5pm – 6pm and I hope to be able to offer you a glass of our fine wine selections soon. Rare Bar & Grill conveniently located in our lobby serves great fare and they are very well known for their burgers. To know that you, “will be back and spend more time at this hotel,” is a wonderful compliment. If I may be of assistance at the time of your next booking, I am at your service, please email me at gdrepaul@affinia.com.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

You know you are staying at an awesome hotel when despite being in one of the greatest city's in the world you look forward to going back to your room. The space was perfect for a family of 5 and the view of the Empire State Building was so special. The location was perfect allowing us access to walk all over the city and have a genuine New York experience of fabulous food, bright lights and landmarks. The hotel employees were professional and considerate. I enjoyed being at a hotel where my family was comfortable but I could enjoy the modern design elements. The lobby was warm and welcoming. Checking in was quick and no trouble at all. I was needlessly concerned about the cost and logistics of parking our rental car but the hotel offers valet service or there is self service parking conveniently located across the street. It was exciting to not only explore the city but staying at the Shelburne I felt like part of it. My only regret was that we could not stay longer. Given the opportunity, we will jump at the chance to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear YHJH5,

The amazing review you posted made everyone’s day! Our team prepares diligently each day to do whatever it takes to earn each guest’s recommendation. You’ve generously complimented our team when you wrote, “The hotel employees were professional and considerate.” We take great care to make our guests feel at home and providing an authentic NYC experience. We are situated in a perfect midtown location close to anywhere you need to get to, yet far away enough from the crowds to feel a like a NYC resident while you’re visiting. I hope you do return and I would gladly like to be of assistance in helping you plan your return stay. You may email me at gdrepaul@affinia.com. We have recently launched our new Wine Hour each weeknight from 5pm-6pm, another great value added amenity our guests can now enjoy in our spacious modern lobby.