Although this is my only review of the Shelburne Affinia (if my memory hasn't abandoned me!), it comes after repeated stays over the last five years. If you are looking for a place in NY that is well-located, where the price is not exhorbitant, where the rooms are of a reasonable size, comfortable and clean, where the important extras like a decent restaurant, fairly-priced room service, reliable wi-fi, and a small, but updated, gym are things you also look to, then this is your hotel. Add to that a friendly staff (with little turnover -- always a good sign) at every level of the hotel, then you have the whole package. It seems to be a hotel that caters to everyone, from businessmen to tourists, equally well. And, in the summer, it has the added advantage of a sizeable roof terrace. I have periodically tried other hotels in the vicinity, including several on Park Avenue. For a comparable price, I have not found better.
Of course, this is not a 5-star hotel, so there are compromises. The bathtubs, for example, are neither long nor deep. The a/c units clatter and may strike you as noisy until you tune them out. The laundry fees border on the expensive. But these are acceptable trade-offs for everything else.
The one thing, however, that has me coming back again and again is the staff. I can't imagine many hospitality jobs as challenging as working in a hotel, but the staff are always welcoming, friendly and helpful.
There's a lot of choice out there. If you're looking for something you can rely on at a price that's reasonable for this part of the world and this part of the city, look no further.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm. Inviting. Social. Just right for a relaxed city stay. You love action-packed places. But some privacy when you need it. You want a happy medium, an opportunity to be social in a cool environment. Enter the Shelburne NYC, with its warm-toned interior design and homey common areas. Tucked into laid-back Murray Hill, a few blocks from Grand Central Station, it's just right for guests who like to pop down on the train for New York nights with a relaxed vibe. Come kick back, check out the views-and go up to the rooftop while you're at it. Join us nightly for a glass of red or white at our Wine Hour, located in the lobby from 5-6 p.M. · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with JackRabbit Systems, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone and Evoline ltd so you can book your Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Shelburne Hotel New York City
- Sol Melia New York City
- Shelburne Murray Hill Hotel
- Affinia Shelburne New York City
- Shelbourne Hotel New York
- Shelbourne Hotel Nyc
- Shelburne Murray Hill New York