“The Whole Package”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #131 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although this is my only review of the Shelburne Affinia (if my memory hasn't abandoned me!), it comes after repeated stays over the last five years. If you are looking for a place in NY that is well-located, where the price is not exhorbitant, where the rooms are of a reasonable size, comfortable and clean, where the important extras like a decent restaurant, fairly-priced room service, reliable wi-fi, and a small, but updated, gym are things you also look to, then this is your hotel. Add to that a friendly staff (with little turnover -- always a good sign) at every level of the hotel, then you have the whole package. It seems to be a hotel that caters to everyone, from businessmen to tourists, equally well. And, in the summer, it has the added advantage of a sizeable roof terrace. I have periodically tried other hotels in the vicinity, including several on Park Avenue. For a comparable price, I have not found better.

Of course, this is not a 5-star hotel, so there are compromises. The bathtubs, for example, are neither long nor deep. The a/c units clatter and may strike you as noisy until you tune them out. The laundry fees border on the expensive. But these are acceptable trade-offs for everything else.

The one thing, however, that has me coming back again and again is the staff. I can't imagine many hospitality jobs as challenging as working in a hotel, but the staff are always welcoming, friendly and helpful.

There's a lot of choice out there. If you're looking for something you can rely on at a price that's reasonable for this part of the world and this part of the city, look no further.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ANMW
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear ANMW,

We are very grateful to be your destination of choice in NYC after five years! You are absolutely right about our hotel having “little turnover” as most of our team has been with us for 5 or more years. We certainly feel that this allows our hotel staff to provide superior quality service and I am so pleased that our staff is what has helped to keep you, “coming back again and again”. We certainly love our convenient location close to Grand Central and so many midtown businesses. We work tirelessly around the clock all year to deliver spacious and clean guestrooms, studios and suites, as well as a host of value added amenities through our My Affinia program that help make any business or leisure trip uniquely yours. I look forward to introducing myself to you on your sixth visit during our new Wine Hour, where we serve complimentary wine each weeknight to make our guests make the most of their stay in NYC.

There are newer reviews for Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Chose the hotel because of its location close to the office I was visiting on Fifth Avenue. Decent enough - very friendly staff, very clean, decent sized rooms and comfortable beds. Our room rate did not include breakfast, internet or taxes so beware you will pay a bit more than quoted. Rare - the restaurant that is part of the hotel - does very good steaks and ribs. Several local spots for breakfast including Scotty's Diner just down the road which is as 'authentic' as you can get for a New York dinner doing eggs and OJ twenty-four hours...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Robbols,

Your positive review is much appreciated and we certainly value your feedback. The comments you made regarding your stay of our, “very friendly staff, very clean, decent sized rooms and comfortable beds,” are a wonderful compliment. Our team strives to uphold our commitment to earn this type of amazing compliment with each guest that arrives at our front door. Rare Bar & Grill conveniently located in our lobby has great food and vibrant ambiance. We love our location in midtown that helps our business traveler’s get to where they need to be quickly and conveniently.

Please contact Lourdes our Business Travel Specialist at lourdes.padillaramirez@denihan.com . Lourdes can set you up on our Business Perks Program. It offers: 10% off the Best Available Rate (No blackout dates), WiFi, Early check-in/Late check-out based on availability, bottle of water upon arrival, a dedicated Account Manager, Exclusive members only reservation number, customized web link and code for website reservations, Exclusive seasonal offers, Frequent Stay Program through Stash Rewards, and travel benefits at sister properties in NYC and DC.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

NYC is a place my girlfriend and I enjoy traveling to often. The following describes our first experience staying in the Affinia Shelburne in January of this year. Let's start with the good: 1. rooms are large by Manhattan standards; 2. bathroom is impressive; 3. bed is comfortable; 4. location is decent; requests for a room away from the elevator and on a high floor were accommodated. 5. very helpful doorman
Now for the bad: 1. Prior to our first night here, my girlfriend and I hadn't seen each other in several months. You can imagine that we were quite eager to be "intimate" as soon as we got to the hotel room. However, before anything could happen, we were shocked to find that the blanket was partially ripped and there were brown stains on the pillow. A friendly house-keeper came and replaced everything, but needless to say -- not a good first impression. On our second night, we found that whoever had cleaned the room had simply thrown the outer cover over the bed without having "made it". The sheets were just as we had left them in the morning and the pillow cases weren't changed. I called the front desk for them to send somebody to resolve this problem. I waited for an hour and called several times but nobody came. Finally, a member of the staff knocked on my door, handed me sheets, and, I kid you not, rudely told me to make the bed myself because the housekeeper had gone home. I had called well in advance of the time the housekeeper was supposed to leave. Despite all my complaints to the front desk, my bed was made in this haphazard way two more times during my stay. 3. The tables were never wiped down properly and parts of the carpet were not vacuumed properly. The same gunk I noticed on the first night remained on my last (and we were here for a week).

Staying here would have been a great experience if the service and cleanliness hadn't resembled that of a 1 star hotel. Due to these factors, I don't see myself returning here in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thymotic
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear thymotic,

Thank you for sharing a review about your stay at our hotel; your time is valuable and we appreciate your feedback. I am dismayed that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I will be looking into your housekeeping service and cleanliness experiences that you described, as these are unacceptable to me and do not reflect our unwavering commitment to the very high quality standards of service we provide.

I am delighted that you were able to enjoy the spaciousness of your guestroom including our signature Affinia bedding, our convenient location to midtown attractions and transportation, and the staff service of our Doorpersons. Please contact me directly at the hotel, as I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly about your recent stay and welcoming you and your girlfriend back to restore your confidence in our ability to deliver an amazing hotel experience for you both. My email address is gdrepaul@affinia.com .

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have stayed for 2 nights in Affinia Shelburne. The hotel staff were extremely professional and polite, they made ay stay exceptional. The room was spacious and super clean. The bathroom was very clean but the furniture was a little bit old. The hotel is conveniently located and everything was within reach.

As we were making college visits, it was very easy to go from the hotel to the colleges. It was my wife's birthday and with the help of the frontdesk staff, i was able to arrange a cake and champagne to steal the day.

Everybody was helpful and polite. We had a chance to dine at the Rare, which was also very pleasant but beware the huge american servings.

I highly recommend this hotel to travellers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear JustAddWater,

I am so glad that your first time stay at our hotel was a resounding success on your college visits. I am especially pleased that our staff helped to create a memorable experience to commemorate your wife’s birthday with a cake and champagne. When you say, “I highly recommend this hotel to travelers,” it lets our team know that we are fulfilling our brand promise to genuinely connect with our guests and earn the opportunity to be your destination of choice when visiting NYC. Best of luck with the rest of your college visits and I hope to meet you and your wife again soon at our new Wine Hour each evening in the Lobby.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

In March, 2013, my husband and I again stayed at the Affinia Shelburne. For under $300 a night INCLUDING FEES AND TAXES, we had a large room with a very comfortable bed, and a good bathroom. We arrived late at night and were checked in quickly. When we left, the hotel held our bags for several hours and were speedy with their return. The location (Lexington and 37th) for the price is extraordinary. I lived in NYC for 39 years, and we could walk almost everywhere we wanted to go.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KCV999

Dear KCV999,

When our team read your review we were ecstatic to have such an amazing review from someone that had lived in NYC for 39 years! We go above and beyond to capture the essence of NYC and help our guests feel the excitement of the City, while at the same time feel at home and find ways to relax. We just rolled out our new Wine Hour every weeknight from 5pm-6pm and our guests are raving about it! We know that when it comes to midtown we offer an outstanding value added option to travelers looking for a spacious and clean guestroom in a convenient location with friendly service that is genuine. I look forward to hosting you on a future visit, please contact me if I may be of assistance at gdrepaul@affinia.com.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to this hotel for the last few years but this was the first time in cooler temperatures. The heating inside the hotel is switched off until 8 pm even though it is 55 degrees outside which by Australian standards is about as cold as it gets. If I pay for a hotel room, I expect to be able to heat the room to my liking, not for the hotel to make that decision for me. On complaining to the front desk, a space heater was brought up to our room but I'm not sure that is enough to entice me to keep coming back. It looks like we are on the hunt for a new hotel and the first question I will be asking is can we heat the room during the day?

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Bookstraveller

Dear Bookstraveller,

I want to extend my sincere gratitude to you for making Affinia Shelburne your first choice hotel in NYC where we want you to feel at home each visit. When the seasons change abruptly around April and October we closely monitor the building’s internal temperature to maintain a comfortable balance for our guests and we are able to deliver portable heaters and fans to help alleviate these seasonal effects. There is not a specific time that we designate to adjust the building’s heat or air conditioning and instead we base the decision on changes in temperature measured outside the building and inside the building. Most important, I want you to feel comfortable returning to our hotel's genuine caring service, spacious guestrooms and convenient location. I would like to speak with you in order to personally invite you to return another year next year. Please email me at gdrepaul@affina.com.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed as a group of 5 in late March. We had stayed before and were not surprised to see that the service and quality is still up to the highest level. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the lobby is a really nice place to chill out and most places are no more than a 20 minute walk away. The bar is a bit pricey but no more than anywhere else. We also appreciated the chance to leave our luggage on th elast day and get our pick up from the hotel at midnight.
Overall - if you want a good hotel experience in New Yorkk - you cannot go wrong with the Affinia.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shytot0

Dear Shytot0,

I am delighted that you chose to return to Affinia Shelburne and make us your destination of choice in NYC nearly 2 years after your first visit. The team really appreciates reading posts from our repeat guests, and we are especially thrilled to see when we’ve earned a higher rating from you on your second visit. Our hotel offers a variety of personalized services to enrich your stay and our e-concierge is a great way to customize you’re my Affinia selections. We just launched our Wine Hour that takes place each weekday evening from 5pm-6pm serving a fantastic wine selection, so our lobby just became a whole lot nicer place to “chill out” as you said. I hope that you will return soon. I look forward to hosting you once again.