“If you want to stay warm in winter stay in another hotel.”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #127 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“If you want to stay warm in winter stay in another hotel.”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to this hotel for the last few years but this was the first time in cooler temperatures. The heating inside the hotel is switched off until 8 pm even though it is 55 degrees outside which by Australian standards is about as cold as it gets. If I pay for a hotel room, I expect to be able to heat the room to my liking, not for the hotel to make that decision for me. On complaining to the front desk, a space heater was brought up to our room but I'm not sure that is enough to entice me to keep coming back. It looks like we are on the hunt for a new hotel and the first question I will be asking is can we heat the room during the day?

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Bookstraveller
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Bookstraveller,

I want to extend my sincere gratitude to you for making Affinia Shelburne your first choice hotel in NYC where we want you to feel at home each visit. When the seasons change abruptly around April and October we closely monitor the building’s internal temperature to maintain a comfortable balance for our guests and we are able to deliver portable heaters and fans to help alleviate these seasonal effects. There is not a specific time that we designate to adjust the building’s heat or air conditioning and instead we base the decision on changes in temperature measured outside the building and inside the building. Most important, I want you to feel comfortable returning to our hotel's genuine caring service, spacious guestrooms and convenient location. I would like to speak with you in order to personally invite you to return another year next year. Please email me at gdrepaul@affina.com.

George Drepaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed as a group of 5 in late March. We had stayed before and were not surprised to see that the service and quality is still up to the highest level. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the lobby is a really nice place to chill out and most places are no more than a 20 minute walk away. The bar is a bit pricey but no more than anywhere else. We also appreciated the chance to leave our luggage on th elast day and get our pick up from the hotel at midnight.
Overall - if you want a good hotel experience in New Yorkk - you cannot go wrong with the Affinia.

1 Thank Shytot0
Dear Shytot0,

I am delighted that you chose to return to Affinia Shelburne and make us your destination of choice in NYC nearly 2 years after your first visit. The team really appreciates reading posts from our repeat guests, and we are especially thrilled to see when we’ve earned a higher rating from you on your second visit. Our hotel offers a variety of personalized services to enrich your stay and our e-concierge is a great way to customize you’re my Affinia selections. We just launched our Wine Hour that takes place each weekday evening from 5pm-6pm serving a fantastic wine selection, so our lobby just became a whole lot nicer place to “chill out” as you said. I hope that you will return soon. I look forward to hosting you once again.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked a room at the Affinia Shelburne for a four-night stay with our two sons (10 and 15) for the Easter Holiday. This was the second time my wife and I stayed here (first time for our kids), and overall we had a really good experience. We booked one of the hotel's one-bedroom suites (as we had before). However, the room we were given on our first night was not nearly as nice as the suite we stayed in during our previous visit. We were pleasantly surprised when we mentioned this to the front-desk staff, and they offered to move us to a nicer room on a higher floor the following day (all they asked was that we keep our luggage packed so that they could move us while we were out and about.) The new room, on the 14th floor, had a nice view of the Empire State Building, was clean, quiet and well appointed. Very comfortable king bed in the bedroom and our boys did just fine on the sleeper couch. A small kitchenette was helpful, although being NYC, we ate all our meals out. Staff at the hotel was very helpful and friendly during our entire stay, as were the folks in the hotel restaurant (we took the kids their for burgers one night - they loved it.) A huge plus for this hotel, in addition to the rooms, staff and dining, is the location. We were able to grab a cab easily (true for most NYC n'hoods) but the subway was also very close, and we could walk (and walk and walk) to many of the places our kids wanted to see (Time Square, Rockefeller Plaza, Empire State Building, etc.) I grew up in and outside of NYC, and I've never really played tourist there before, so it was fun to experience the city through my kids' eyes. I would definitely recommend this hotel to travelers who are looking for a place with a little more room (especially if you're travelling with kids) with a great location (if you fly into JFK, this hotel is very close to the Queens/Mid-town Tunnel entrance/exit, too.) We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor away.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JoshC331
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear JoshC331,

I greatly appreciate that you decided to return to Affinia Shelburne for a second visit and had such a fun time with your wife and children. By ending your review to say that you, “would definitely return” means everything to us because we strive in all that we do to connect with our guests and earn everyone’s recommendation. Our spacious rooms, friendly staff and convenient location are an unsurpassed combination in midtown. Thank you for making the Shelburne your first choice destination in NYC.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I would personally like to recognize the Shelburne Affinia's doorman Chiran Thapa for his extraordinary helpfulness in going the extra mile to assist us with his kindness during our recent stay at the hotel. After we left our car in front of the hotel (with its lights on), the battery went dead...

When Chiran went to park our car, it wouldn't start... We already left the area, so Chiran took it upon himself to secure some jumper cables, and he jump started our car in order to move it to the garage for us!

We apologize for his inconvenience, and we truly appreciate Chiran's kind and polite manner in making up for our mistake. You don't find many people of his genuine nature, and the Shelburne is especially blessed to have an employee with such goodness in his heart to serve their guests.

Thank you Shelburne Affinia for having such outstanding employees, especially Chiran! We really enjoyed staying with you, and we will choose to again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank -LOVETOALL-
Dear -LOVETOALL-,

This is an amazing story and one that makes me honored to be a part of the Shelburne team. Your review is a wonderful example of how our associates will go above and beyond to make sure we take great care of our guests, especially in a difficult situation. Chiran has a calm, even temperament that makes him a perfect ambassador of Affinia’s Tender Loving Comfort movement. We definitely want to be your choice destination in NYC. I look forward to welcoming you back and so does Chiran!

Dublin. Ireland
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Staff were extremely polite and welcoming and helped wherever they could

Michael and Michaela were both very nice and they unfortunately were the only names I caught as everyone was very good

The rooms were very spacious and were cleaned thoroughly. I'm not sure if it was on the site prior to booking that the roof bar is closed until may as I was hoping to use that area to propose to my girlfriend, I had emailed prior to this but got no reply. (She said yes anyway)

Unfortunately I didn't get to sample the rare bar and grill but I heard only good things about it. The hotel is undergoing building work outside but once inside you wouldn't know (accept the ground floor). I never heard any noise.

The room was on the 9th floor right next to the lifts and could be used as an interconnected room but there was no disturbances, the room easily locks if its not what you want so no one just walks in, the room could have done with a mirror beside the TV for people to get ready but I guess that's being picky. Bed was very comfortable and wardrobe spacious.

The hotel is located about a two-five walk from the Chrysler building and grand central station. Its about 15 minutes to times square walking, a cab will cost under 10 dollars. Hotel is very convenient for fifth avenue. I would highly recommend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear hellrazor007,

Congratulations on your engagement! Our team was thrilled to read the news and see your excitement, we feel very fortunate to have been a part of such great memories for you and your fiancé. You’ve made our day and Micaela and Michael were smiling brightly to see their names in your review. What a terrific way to recognize our team with your generous review. These two individuals are as service-focused team players as you can find in the hospitality industry and we are fortunate to have them on our team. We train extensively on the art of service and our brand refers to this as our Tender Loving Comfort movement. Our four different room categories will exceed your expectations for spaciousness and value. For just a few dollars more, our guests can enjoy a Deluxe accommodation that features a convenient kitchenette to help you make the most out of your visit. We hope you will enjoy Rare Bar & Grill on your next visit as they are very well known for their delicious fare, especially their burgers, and their refreshing signature drinks. While we do have scaffolding up around the perimeter of the building, the hotel is not doing any work at all inside the hotel. The scaffolding is required by law and the safety of our guests is our highest priority. I hope to personally welcome you and your fiancé back soon; good luck with the big day and please keep my contact information: gdrepaul@affinia.com.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 3, 2013

The Good:
+ Location. Comfortable walking distance to Madison Square Park (Shake Shack), Empire State Building, and transportation. Not many restaurant options nearby though. The only good places nearby I found were Lucid Cafe (coffee) and Salvation Taco.

+ Friendly and accommodating staff: Check in was fast but we arrived at 8pm on a Thursday and the room I had reserved wasn't ready yet (a double). They offered two rooms next to each other or to wait about an hour until a double was ready. Since we had a kid we needed one room with two beds so we waited, which was a bummer after traveling but what can you do. We were comped with free internet for our entire stay. The staff was gracious and apologetic about the whole thing.

+ Comfortable beds. The beds, pillows, and linens were very comfortable and clean.

+ Quiet. I didn't have any problems with traffic or street noise, or with noise from other rooms.

The Bad:
- Value. We paid a little over $300/night which is not outrageous, but not cheap either. There were no extras like bathrobes, and for the price I expected something a bit more luxurious or more spacious.

- Gets busy and crowded. The lobby and elevators got really busy at times. The problem with this is that the elevators are extremely slow; waiting for an elevator feels like an eternity and then people would cram into the elevator literally squishing you. Not a huge deal just more annoying than anything.

Overall I probably wouldn't stay again because there are so many options in New York and I think I could find something better. However, I think if you can find a good rate it's not a bad option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingRam
Dear TravelingRam,

I am delighted that you had a terrific experience at our hotel and took the time to share your experience. With our convenient location in midtown, our guests will never be more than a short walk from the Empire State Building, Grand Central, Penn Station and great NYC parks like Bryant Park, Madison Square Park and Robert Moses Park along the East River adjacent to the United Nations. Our staff is trained in the art of body language and we refer to our service promise as our Tender Loving Comfort movement. I am delighted that you were impressed by our friendly team. After a busy day when a restful evening is what you need, look no further than our Affinia Signature bed, our 6-choice pillow menu and our quiet rooms to recharge you for tomorrow's NYC adventure. We do have robes and slippers available upon request as well as many other offerings to enhance your stay. Guests can personalize a visit ahead of time via our My Affinia e-concierge available anytime at our website, and once you arrive; our goal is to promote the same offerings to make your stay uniquely yours. I hope you will contact me directly when you consider a future visit to NYC. Our team absolutely wants to be your choice destination for NYC and I know we will offer you the best value and service in Murray Hill if you accept my invitation to return.

Villanova, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel is in a good location. I was disappointed by the way our problems were handled. I was quoted a price for parking but was charged much more than the quoted price. Park across the street in the lot it was so much cheaper. I asked when I reserved the room to have my second room for my 91 year old on the same floor. This was important to me. When I checked in, I was not able to get the second room on the same floor. One of the three elevators was not working. The toilet overflowed. Check in was slow. The man at the front desk was so rude. The room had no view. I have been staying at hotels in NYC all my adult life and have never before had a problem in a hotel.I selected this hotel because it was close to my son's new apartment. Next time that I am in NYC ,I will stay at another hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear RoxyL,

Your disappointing experience has left our team reviewing your comments very carefully. The team is dismayed by the confluence of events that you described in your review. I appreciate that you have given me an opportunity to personally reach out to you directly to discuss your stay. Please contact me at gdrepaul@affinia.com. Our hotel staff’s paramount responsibility is to provide a memorable and enjoyable experience to each and every guest. We hold ourselves to very high standards and I know that we will restore your confidence in our ability to deliver our service promise if you accept my invitation to return. I look forward to communicating with you.