“Loved the hotel and staff”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #126 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mission Viejo, California
“Loved the hotel and staff”
Reviewed March 17, 2008

My girlfriend from Chicago and I stayed two nights in one of their suites before leaving on a Fall foliage cruise. Although some of the furnishings were a little worn and the bathroom was very small, it was immaculate. The beds and bedding were fabuous (5star calibre). We loved the restaurant (great burger place) and bar downstairs and everyone was so friendly. They knew me by name and were very attentive. Let me know they are going to do a reburbishment of the rooms so in the future it will likely be much more luxe. They have a rooftop bar only open in the summer months ...I bet that is great. I would definitely recommend if you need a little more room (e.g., separate living quarter, kitchette and bedroom). It would be great for someone with kids and the price was generally only a little more than some of what seemed to be postage stamp sized rooms. I tend to stay at high end hotels (e.g, RitzCarlton, Hyatt Park, Four Seasons, etc.) and was not unhappy so that says a lot.... Location is a big plus...walked to all the sites!

• Liked — Location and size of rooms; also that it had a small restaurant and great bar attached.
  • Disliked — bathroom was pea-sized!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelernottourist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
england
Reviewed March 17, 2008

one major problem that ruined the whole stay while in the hotel, certain guests with dogs that barked from about 6.30am onwards , also the barking went on in the very early hours of the morning. reception was told on numerous occasions but did nothing about it, we were told that security would be sent up but nothing ever happened, other guests must have been affected as towels were laid at the door to try and mufflel the constant noise. we asked to be moved but told no rooms were available, noise only stopped when said inconsiderate guests checked out, not good enough..................

• Stayed November 2007
3 Thank broadwithdon
Brussels
Reviewed March 16, 2008

The first time we stayed in this hotel, we had ended up there by mistake due to a mix-up in another hotel (nothing to do with this hotel and the chain!!). We have now stayed in this hotel on 3 separate occasions thanks to the execellent first experience and each time have had a great stay. The location is great; slightly away from the bustle of Times Square, whilst staying in a supberb mid-town position. Having thoroughly researched ALL the hotels in the same area to see whether we could come up with a better price/quality ratio, I can honestly say that, despite our best efforts, we could not. On price/quality we cannot fault it; the staff are always helpful and polite, the rooms are very clean and extremely comfortable. I recommend this hotel to anyone who asks me where I stayed in NY. We absolutely love this city and staying at the Shelburne Murray is part of our stay. I almost hesitate to recommend for fear of not getting in next time I go to NY!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BrusselsCathP
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Lovely hotel, excellent location. Stayed in a suite with 3 family members-very spacious and had all we could need. Food in the Rare bar/restaurant also very good and room service menu is very broad and reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Neville80
Sydney
Reviewed March 7, 2008

The Shelburne is an excellent hotel. Great self contained facilities. Close to Grand Central Station.

• Liked — Self Contained Suites
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Aussie_Visitors
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 4, 2008

For the past 5 years I have been staying at the Shelburne for business travel at least 4 times per year and have seen it go from "okay" to "intolerable". I have seen the housekeeping go from "so so" to really bad. Mold on the walls, soiled furniture and carpeting, lack of attention to the most basic cleaning chores. Even the most rigorous renovation (which is being promised by the hotel manager) will not make staff competent .

As for the Front Desk staff, after staying there more than 20 times in the past few years, I NEVER had anyone acknowledge that I was a regular guest at the hotel. As a matter of fact, one time I had food poisoning on my checkout day, really deadly sick and asked for a late check out by ONE HOUR. They told me that it was impossible! That was my last time there.

My normal stay at the hotel was about a week each time so I got to see how the hotel functioned over a period of days. I can honestly say that Saturday nights was usually a "zoo" with alot of college age kids bringing in pizza and beers to party in the rooms. The noise, if you were unlucky, could be unbearable until the early morning hours. And if you were really unlucky, you might be on a high floor with the "Roof Garden" bar and music in full swing. To avoid the "zoo" I would try to arrive on Sunday to miss "Saturday Night Fever" .

I am writing this review so many months after my last stay to report that despite that the hotel was convenient for my business, close to family and friends in New York, I have been staying at another hotel this year and am really pleased with the service, cleanliness and accomodations in general. Dont settle for the Shelburne, it is NOT worth the money and an unpleasant experience in all. If you notice, most of the "rave reviews" come from foreign tourists. I dont know what they expect at home, but the Shelburne Hotel at the moment is unacceptable at any price.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank LittleRicky
AlvinLopez, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2008
Dear “Little Ricky",

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointment with the Shelburne, especially after your long and loyal patronage over the years. Regarding your feedback of our product, we are addressing this with a renovation that has already started. During this renovation, we hope to install a new wall thermostat that would allow for better control of the room temperature as well as new carpets, furniture, bathrooms, windows, and kitchens. We are expected to bring back a superior product in the first few floors in just a few weeks.

In regards to your statement about an incompetent staff, you only mention one situation where you could not get a late check-out.
We are sorry that on that day we were not able to extend that courtesy to you. Although we try to extend late check-outs whenever possible, there are some days that the hotel is very busy and we are unable to grant such requests.

The "zoo" you are referring to are our weekend families that choose to stay with us to enjoy the city and a suite, with their children and loved ones.
I'm sorry if any noise affected your stay, as we would of been very happy to accomodate you in another suite. As far as any parties being held on the premises, we do have security officers at the property level who ensure noises are kept to an acceptable level and that parties and disruptive guests are addressed immediately.

Our reviews on Trip Advisor come from foreign and local tourists, from all over the world. We trust that good service and product are held to the same expectation for all guests, at any price.

We hope that you can try the Shelburne again, once our renovated rooms start coming back in late April.

We'd love to re-connect with you as you've given us your business for a long time, and we'd love to have you back with us.

Alvin Lopez
________________________________________
Wicklow
Reviewed March 3, 2008

Fantastic location, nice rooms, handy to have kitchenette. Doorman Denis mind of information. Pleasant staffs, easy check in. Most things in walking distance. Will definitely be back.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Burger Restaurant overpriced
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple