For the past 5 years I have been staying at the Shelburne for business travel at least 4 times per year and have seen it go from "okay" to "intolerable". I have seen the housekeeping go from "so so" to really bad. Mold on the walls, soiled furniture and carpeting, lack of attention to the most basic cleaning chores. Even the most rigorous renovation (which is being promised by the hotel manager) will not make staff competent .
As for the Front Desk staff, after staying there more than 20 times in the past few years, I NEVER had anyone acknowledge that I was a regular guest at the hotel. As a matter of fact, one time I had food poisoning on my checkout day, really deadly sick and asked for a late check out by ONE HOUR. They told me that it was impossible! That was my last time there.
My normal stay at the hotel was about a week each time so I got to see how the hotel functioned over a period of days. I can honestly say that Saturday nights was usually a "zoo" with alot of college age kids bringing in pizza and beers to party in the rooms. The noise, if you were unlucky, could be unbearable until the early morning hours. And if you were really unlucky, you might be on a high floor with the "Roof Garden" bar and music in full swing. To avoid the "zoo" I would try to arrive on Sunday to miss "Saturday Night Fever" .
I am writing this review so many months after my last stay to report that despite that the hotel was convenient for my business, close to family and friends in New York, I have been staying at another hotel this year and am really pleased with the service, cleanliness and accomodations in general. Dont settle for the Shelburne, it is NOT worth the money and an unpleasant experience in all. If you notice, most of the "rave reviews" come from foreign tourists. I dont know what they expect at home, but the Shelburne Hotel at the moment is unacceptable at any price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Warm. Inviting. Social. Just right for a relaxed city stay. You love action-packed places. But some privacy when you need it. You want a happy medium, an opportunity to be social in a cool environment. Enter the Shelburne NYC, with its warm-toned interior design and homey common areas. Tucked into laid-back Murray Hill, a few blocks from Grand Central Station, it's just right for guests who like to pop down on the train for New York nights with a relaxed vibe. Come kick back, check out the views-and go up to the rooftop while you're at it. Join us nightly for a glass of red or white at our Wine Hour, located in the lobby from 5-6 p.M. · Daily Wine Hour during Social Sips from 5-6PM · Wireless Internet access for all of your devices · 10% off at Celebrity Chef Geoffrey Zakarian’s The National Bar & Dining Rooms · In-room gourmet coffee and tea offerings · Unlimited package handling and storage prior to and during your stay · Business services, including printing · Local and domestic long distance calls · 24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness centers · Access to Affinia bikes (where applicable) · Concierge services *Must be redeemed daily, credit may not be rolled over **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Affinia Shelburne Hotel New York City
- Sol Melia New York City
- Shelburne Murray Hill Hotel
- Affinia Shelburne New York City
- Shelbourne Hotel New York
- Shelbourne Hotel Nyc
- Shelburne Murray Hill New York