“I keep coming back!”

Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel
Ranked #141 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This hotel is excellent--good design, walkable from Grand Central and very comfortable. Clean and well-maintained and the bathrooms are pretty luxurious. I have stayed here a number of times, in part because my daughter lives a few blocks away. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful; the one time I had a problem (too much noise from an adjoining room) I was moved promptly. The Affinia pillow menu is a nice thing--especially if you are allergic to feathers. I also like the size--it really feels like a neighborhood place. HIghly recommend.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank JanieD
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2011

DearJanieD,
Thank you for your recent stay and for the positive comments on our clean, comfortable rooms, and our friendly and helpful front office associates. Glad you enjoyed the choices of our six pillow menu.
We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you again soon when you visit your daughter.
George Drepaul CHA

Write a ReviewReviews (4,959)

Reviewed August 1, 2011

This hotel was recently renovated, the renovation, in my opinion, really "kicked" the hotel up a notch! It was very nicely done. The rooms are clean and fairly spacious The locale of the hotel is great for getting around with easy access to Grand Central Station, shops, nice salons and cool restaurants. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. The only draw back is the elevator system, the elevators are small and the system is very slow but, otherwise, a very good stay!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank citigirl28
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear citigirl28,
Thank you for your recent stay and for the positive comments on our recently renovated hotel, clean and spacious rooms and helpful, pleasant staff. Glad you found our location very convenient especially to Grand Central Station.
I have passed on your feedback to our engineers on our recently refurbished elevators.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on either side of a cruise in May 2011 and had booked 1 bedroom suites. On arrival for our first night we we were advised that we had been upgraded to a 2 bedroom deluxe suite. Having never been in America let alone New York it gave us a great first impression of USA!! The suite was amazing - 2 bedroom and 2 bathrooms and so much space we could nearly have lost each other in it! It was spotlessly clean and the beds were so comfy. It was also amazingly quiet for being inthe middle of Manhattan. On our second night at the end of the cruise we got a one bedroom suite which was also massive and had a balcony with views straight over to the Empire State Building. I could not find one fault with the rooms at this hotel - they were very impressive. The decor of the whole hotel was very attractive and we had a lovely breakfast in the hotel restaurant on our 2nd morning. I would like to give a special word of praise for the porters at the hotel - especially Denis. They were so friendly and helpful when we had absolutely no idea about finding our way round New York or hailing cabs!

The location of the hotel was brilliant - just about 5 mins from Grand Central Station, 5th Avenue, Empire State Building etc so plenty of scope for exploring on foot.

The only slight criticism I would have to make would be regarding a few of the staff on reception. We were a bit confused as we understood payment had been for our stay at the hotel when we gave our credit card details on the internet, however, the receiptionist proceeded to ask for our card for payment on arrival. When we questionned this, she was very impatient and even a little aggresive. She didnt allow for the fact that we were even struggling to pick up what she was saying with her different accent. All i'm saying is that it wouldnt have been difficult to be pleasant and courteous when we couldnt understand her!

But that aside I would defintely love to return to this hotel:-)

Room Tip: Definitely the one bedroom deluxe suite with balcony - the view of ESB of amazing, especially ay ni...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank waringstown8
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

Dear waringstown8,
Thank you for your recent stay (s) with us and for the lengthy review. We appreciate your positive comments on our spacious suites, comfy beds and spotlessly clean rooms. Thank you especially for mentioning our Doorman Dennis. Glad you found our location very convenient and centrally located in NYC.
I appreciate your feedback with your experience at our reception desk with regards to requesting your credit card for incidental charges. Your feedback would assist me in addressing any inconsistencies in our service levels.
We enjoyed having you as our guests and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

Has a great casual bar downstairs that was frequented by lots of locals. Good choice bar menu.
The room was huge with 2 massive beds. Pillows were extremely comfortable- they also have a pillow menu.
Has a roof terrace (bar not open in November) but nice views of Chrysler building from it.
Reasonable location near to central station and Chrysler building. A few nice cocktail bars close by. However next time would probably stay closer to Times Square or Central Park.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sez100

Dear Sez100,
Thank you for your recent stay and for the positive comments on our spacious suites, comfortable pillows and 6 pillow menu choices. Glad you found our hotel convenient to Grand Central Station and thank you for your comment on RARE Bar and Grill on their good bar menu.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We arrived before check-in time and were given a room right away--an upgrade to a one-bedroom suite. While the decor (in my view) was a little grim--it works better in a smaller space--the beds were excellent, the a/c was great, and the bathroom, while prettty small, was sparkling. The shower was wonderful. The kitchen pantry let us enjoy a drink and a bite before heading out to dinner. This hotel is a solid, reliable choice in a well-located residential neighborhood. When the price is right, it's a real winner.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank NannarellaBoston
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This hotel has the potential to be a really good place to stay but it needs to overcome its ho hum approach.

I like that it's well-located in MIdtown and a four block walk to either Grand Central or 33rd Street subway. The rooms are a good size, well appointed and there's a great place - Lucid - next door that does an excellent latte. There's also some good restaurants within walking distance.

But, that's really about all I can say I liked.

I didn't like that I booked a specific room seven months ahead and arrived to find that it wasn't available. Normally, I'm happy to have a room in a decent hotel but I booked the room specifically because it had a bedroom and separate sitting area and because it was for a two week stay. I had two friends flying in from Australia to meet me after six months and we had another friend who was in NYC at the same time - we wanted the separate area to meet and hang out. So, despite the fact that the hotel had sent me a few email reminders to personalise my stay and to confirm my stay, I have to say it was REALLY surprising that they couldn't email me ahead of time and let me know that the room wasn't available. When I mentioned my surprise at the room not being available and that I hadn't been notified, the hotel said they would provide an equal accommodation option, which ended up being two adjoining rooms. This was ok but not what we wanted. Quite frankly, if I had known this ahead of time I would have looked elsewhere.

There are lots of other little things that the hotel just missed - so here's a few examples.

So, we check in and get no introduction to the hotel's services - free wi-fi in the lobby (as opposed to the expensive option available in the room), where the different services were located etc. If I compare the lack of attention to detail to previous hotel stays, this really isn't what I'd call a welcome.

There was the barman who didn't know how to make a cocktail on their list (they don't have that many) and bar staff who seemed a bit interrupted when we tried to order drinks.

We too had housekeeping banging on doors to get in to service our rooms. When we asked why, we were told we had to hang out our door sign to let them know we were in or out of the room - ok. But this is the first hotel I've ever stayed at where the housekeeping team have been so consistently pushy to get in to service the room. Accessing the bar on the rooftop has been referred to in other people's reviews - it too has the potential to be great but as it's not operated by the hotel, they take a hands off approach.

On a more positive note, I would like to say that Dennis, the doorman, is fantastic and he made up for the rather lacklustre service and attitude (read bored/disinterested etc) elsewhere in the hotel.

I think there are better options out there until the hotel can get its act together. Maybe everyone was just tired because they were busy. Anyway, I've given the hotel the same feedback. Happy travels.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JB3000
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The hotel is really in a great location. Walkable to many areas and the subway system. The hotel has really really comfortable beds and is very clean. The staff were all very friendly. Was not crazy over the bar on the 16th floor. It is mainly used by younger adults, we didn't fit in

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
DREPAUL, General Manager at Shelburne NYC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Dear lyn07,
Thank you for your recent stay and for the great comments on our comfortable beds, clean rooms, friendly staff and great location.
Sincerely.