“University Dorm Rooms”

Ranked #388 of 467 Hotels in New York City
orlando
“University Dorm Rooms”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

When we arrived I think we (3 of us) were all in a bit of shock. The best we could say was that we would only sleep there. Soon thereafter my sister-in-law went downstairs for some towels and came back up to tell us that the hotel was an an old Columbia University dorm. Automatically (and it had been a long time since we had been in college!!!) we shifted into dorm mode. We were fine after that.

The reviews you read are correct - the rooms are small, the carpet not particularly clean, there were never enough towels, the shower was small .....

But, there were great things about it: the price is great ($45 per person with a bathroom is better than the $30 hostel with 12 people you probably don't know - and I really like hostels), the staff are friendly, you CAN NOT beat the location, the air conditioners blow nice cold air in June, if you get a room above floor 6 you can see the beautiful Hudson, you are across the street from a great park (the best in NYC), and the River Side Basin Cafe is 5 minutes away - and the sunsets are beautiful, you are two blocks from Zabars, three blocks from the subway and four blocks from Central Park. We felt safe all of the time.

Take a shot and go for it!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank chan2406

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2009

First of all, the good:
The location is fantastic. Safe. Nice. Close to lots of things. The staff was friendly, and attentive. The other reviews speak of bed bugs and cockroaches, I never once saw any of them, and we were there for a long time. So, I guess that's a plus.

And now, the not so good:
The bathroom was worse than communal camping bathrooms. We wore flip flops in the shower. There was random blue crap all over the shower, and the tiles at the bottom were chipped off, and laying around on the floor. The shower was very small, and if was all I could do to avoid touching the walls. Also, the faucet is so low you have to do a Cirque du Soleil routine to rinse your hair.
The carpet was dirty, and stained. There really is no other way to describe it. Looks like it hasn't been vacuumed, let alone shampooed in 20 years.
When the "second bed" aka trundle from the first bed was pulled out we couldn't open the door.
The smell of raid lingered on my skin.
The sink is so awkwardly placed you can not even wash your face or hands properly. In fact some of us ended up using their lobby bathroom to get ready at night, (Which by the way, is the Waldorf Astoria in comparison to the rest of the hotel, so if you do stay here, check it out)/
There was only a small spring-lock type lock on the door. No deadbolt. No safe.
Beds were (of course) uncomfortable and the same size as my bed I had when I was a toddler.

However, we have heard that not ALL of the rooms are the same. For example, the room I was in had a bed, a TV (no cable, but who cares, you're in NYC) and the one adjoining had a small fridge, table and microwave.

When we saw other peoples rooms they had desks, and more space, so I guess it really depends on the room.

I had an extended stay at this location, and I could not WAIT to get out of there. It was impossible to do anything in our room, getting dressed was even a challenge based on the small space.

After a few days the small factor wore off, but the cleanliness was the biggest problem. I don't think my feet were ever bare the whole trip. It was not worth the money because of the sheer dirtiness. While we were there, we priced out a few other hotels and found some in the same price range, even more central, that were "real hotels". This "hotel" is really more like a hostel. I felt more dirty than when I have gone camping, because at least when you are camping you are expecting to be dirty, and grossed out in the bathrooms.

So, I think if you can handle extreme dirtiness (worse than a house full of college boys), cramped sleeping conditions and a door that isn't really secure, then go ahead and stay here. However, I promise the second you get home you will want a 5 hour long shower.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank CAM1986

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

md
Reviewed May 16, 2009

The location of this hotel is excellent and the people are nice BUT the rooms were not clean or comfortable as advertised. The space could be alright if they would wash the walls of all of the stains, remove the dirty q-tips from the window sills, wash and vacuum the floors, corners and doorways. New carpets are in order for the rooms too!
They did provide clean towels and clean sheets. I did not see any roaches or bed bugs.
On the plus side,they also had free Wi-Fi-and good on-street parking
Room rates have fallen with the recession, so check out other hotels rates. There are lots of choices now so you have options. I would not recommend the Riverside Towers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2009

This place is not too bad. The price is right and it is a good location. Rooms are small but you are not going to be living in them, only sleeping there. We got there on a Thursday afternoon and had to ride arouond for about ten minutes before we found a parking spot. We got lucky and did not have to move the car until we left on Sunday morn. The only criticism I have is that the hotel doesn't have cable TV. My room had a small fefrigerator and microwave in it. I would go back there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
england
Reviewed March 19, 2009

My first trip to NY and had the misfortune to stay in this so called hotel. Dingy, dirty rooms that are tiny. Fire door was blocked by double bed. The fridge noisy and we wouldnt dare use it or even the shower. Tiny WC between rooms, and apparently a glamour photo shoot being held in the basement!! Couldnt get out fast enough.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Boston
Reviewed January 26, 2009

If you don't mind a very small room and some grunginess doesn't bother you, I'd recommend the Riverside Tower.

It's in a good, safe location and my room had a really nice view of the Hudson River. The bed was comfortable - neither too firm nor soft. Perhaps it was a slow weekend, but it was very quiet room and I got a great nights sleep here. It was an easy walk to Central Park and The Museum of Natural History. Plenty of restaurants and a movie theater within a 5 minute walk.

I'm glad there are still places like this in NYC where you can experience the city without spending $300-$500/night for a private room.

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank tippytop
devon
Reviewed January 8, 2009

this hotel was OK but its not hotel standard. It is like a HOSTEL. its clean but shabby not dirty. we didn't go to NYC for a flash hotel so it suited us OK. there is no dinning facility but loads of bagel shops near by for breakfast and some great restaurants too. the staff were decent.

• Stayed September 2008