“The Riverside Towers Hotel Today”

Riverside Tower Hotel
Ranked #388 of 467 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Rooms are tiny. There's a cheap looking desk and a mini-fridge at the bottom of your bed; your bed is not against the wall and there is no headboard. There is no hairdryer, iron, or ironing board in your room.

The room was basically clean, but the lobby was another story. The ceilings were dirty with mildew, paint was chipped, fixtures were rusty. The whole place exuded a strange smell. You are at pain to fit more than two people in the extremely sketchy elevators.

At the end of the day, if you are a young traveler looking to save money, and a private bathroom is a must for you (as it is for me), then you might consider this place. I would be mortified to recommend this to anyone, however, and certainly would NEVER let my parents or anyone I cared about stay here. I saw an old couple and a mother with a teenage daughter and I just felt sorry for them. I don't know how this place has a 3-star average; it is a total dive, and a rip-off at $150/night including taxes, even in NYC.

Note: I did find street parking after driving around for ten minutes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

6 Thank Kathleen S
Debbie R, Owner at Riverside Tower Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
You have selected the wrong hotel. You are a superior person that belongs in a luxury hotel like the Waldorf Astoria where you can have exactly what you desire for $500 or more per night.

We have rooms for ordinary, normal people that are satisfied to stay with us and pay only $129 a night. Such people give us good reviews for every category.

Don Lewis, Owner
Toronto
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Yes, the room was small, but for father/daughter on a budget in NYC for 3 nights, it was great! Clean room, clean tiled shower, fridge, tv, microwave, wi-fi in lobby and maybe on lower floors. It was close to the subway (1 train). The staff was pleasant and helpful. They are clearly in the process of making building improvements. If you just need a place to crash and clean up, the place is currently excellent value!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Keith E
You are our ideal guest. You fit our profile. Thank you so very much for your kind review.

Don Lewis, Owner
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for..a room with a bed to sleep in. Tiny elevator, tiny room, very very very old, sorely in need if renovation. Wore my flipflops in the shower it was so bad. If all you need is a place to lay your head, it's ok. Great location. In the middle of the night we heard a fight in the room next door where a man was screaming out "I should kill him, no, I should kill YOU". He stormed out and left.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank clearlakelady

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Me and my boyfriend wanted a room for privacy ;) last minute and at the time I thought I was lucky to book the Riverside Tower until we got there It was $185 for 1 night and let me tell you it was certainly not worth the price at all! I rather stay at the super 8 in queens or a holiday inn for around the same price point. The location is riverside drive which is a more quiet area, i'm glad it was, because the room and the hotel scared me.. We had the "suite" I think on the 12th floor which has 2 tiny adjoining rooms. Awkward layout- We had 2 beds, one room with a twin and a one with a full with a miniature bathroom in between. The shower you couldn't turn your body it was so claustrophobic. There were 2 sinks in each actual room but not the bathroom. The sinks were from the 60's or 70's.. The bedding is the cheap and scratchy kind although I checked and did not appear to be dirty or have bed bugs ( I didn't get bit) The tv in the room is a joke it's basic cable 13 channels max but it's not the room for that kind of entertainment I guess (so I wouldn't recommend for families unless you literally need a place to sleep and don't mind the layout or lack of decor) The TV set in the main bigger room was unplugged on a unusable dresser directly behind the bed. The closet has a filthy dusty old AC unit so you couldn't hang a coat or it would touch it. The walls are pretty thin because when someone opened the door it seemed like they were opening ours. I woke up in the middle of the night paranoid because the door looked so cheap like someone could open it with a knife or something. The guy at reception was not friendly at all by the way..The carpet in the hallways smelled moldy. The room itself didn't smell however. The only good things about the Riverside Tower are the location (although i'm not a huge fan of mom and pop stores that are in the area) the fridge/ microwave in the room,(we just used the fridge) and the excellent view from our room. I wouldn't stay again overall, not worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank steph101NYC
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family of four stayed at this hotel the week before Christmas and loved it. We also had friends traveling with us (they had their own room). I cannot stress enough that this is a BUDGET hotel. While I tried to explain to our friends (who are not usually a "budget" travelers) what to expect, at check-in I had felt like I failed them. This place is small. The lobby is cramped, the elevator is super slow and old. The rooms are tiny but clean. Our friends compared it to a "pay by the hour motel." I wouldn't quite take it that far but it is an old, out-dated building. If you enjoy hotel decor (sarcasm) do not stay here. Expect your shower to go from hot to cold to hot again during a 10 minute shower. Do not wake up and expect free coffee and stale pastries. There will be none of that.

What you will get is friendly, helpful staff who seem to enjoy conversing with excited tourists. You will get a great location and everything you need just a short walk away. Riverside Park right across the street is great for families who need a break from bus riding, subway catching, and other exhausting activities.

Our kids 6 and 8, had a blast and wanted to live there. We stayed in suite and the kids had their own room and loved the trundle bed (a novelty for them). Our friends ended up loving the hotel purely based on location and they have pledged to stay there when they visit NYC again. Bottom line, there is not a more affordable option in a better location in all of Manhattan. And if there is, we will never experience it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank katiehbu
trenton
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel was in a previous life dorms for Columbia University. The rooms are small, very small, like dorm rooms in the '60's. The location is EXCELLENT. New York is at your finger tips. Walk to the Met through Central Park. Get to the subway. Shopping. Restaurants. Walk through Riverside Park. Overlooks the Hudson and New Jersey. This is a place where your living is outside. The room is only for sleeping. Yes, I'll go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends