“problems galore, will never go back”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #180 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Rochester, Mi
“problems galore, will never go back”
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Let me start by saying we have previously stayed at this hotel several times in 2006 and had wonderful service and great accommodations, which is why we chose this hotel for spring break 2007.... However we just returned from a 9 day stay over Easter. We are Platinum Elite members and were put in a shabby room next to the supply/service area where we were awakened every morning at 8 am with banging and chatter (and yes I did ask them to stop) that sounded as if it were in our room (they finally offered to move us... 7 days into our trip). Took several calls and a trip to desk to get rollaway that was supposed to be sent up 'right away' and then I had to make it (at 11:30 pm). Had several maitenance issues (that involved guest safety and required 2 phone calls) and frankly maitenance guy wasn't very inclined to fix it until I pointed out what would happen if one of us got hurt, desk never called to see if they were resolved. Room service order timely... but wrong. Breakfast buffet sparce and service terrible (20 minutes to get coffee...I was on my way to get it myself when he finally brought it over). The last sraw was when we returned from a show at 11:30 pm to find our room had not been cleaned (despite a call and trip to the desk before we left).We spoke with Asst general manager the next day, he was not very helpful. I did discover that management has changed in the past few months and its obvious it has not been for the better. I will say the Concierge Staff is top notch, but that is not enough to hazard a stay at this hotel. Also, they are not that busy as several floors are already closed off due to upcoming renovations set to start May 1st. Best of luck to you if you stay here.We won't ever again.... not with the Westin a few blocks away!

• Liked — The only good thing was conceirge staff
  • Disliked — staff indifferance has caused a rapid decline in this hotel. Would never stay at again.
9 Thank elphie1162

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed April 14, 2007

This hotel is in a fantastic location, right in the middle of times square. The views from the rooms and the restaurant are amazing. I stayed there with my mother and my younger sister on a sightseeing trip. I had been to New York several times before and this was by far and away the best hotel I have stayed in. The room was spacious with a large bathroom and an extremely comfortable bed.

What really made this stay special was the staff. Every member of staff we encountered was friendly and polite and made an effort to get to know you. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant each morning and the waiters remembered what we ate the morning before.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank poolos
Queensland
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Service was great, the view was amazing and the concierge was the best I have encountered. This hotel is everything it is cracked up to be. There could be no better way to experience the theatre district in all it's grandeur.

Stayed April 2007
1 Thank MontyQueensland
New York, NY
Reviewed April 7, 2007

My wife and I spent a weekend at this hotel as a romantic getaway. Though the hotel was OK, I would say overall it was disappointing, and I would not recommend it for that kind of stay. The room was very small, even though it was one of the more expensive rooms ($429 per night). For this price, I expect superluxury service, which this was not. The number of TV channels was disappointing. Also, there was no turn-down service. And there were tacky touches such as a breakfast menu left on the bed. I didn't like having to take two elevators to get to our room. On the plus side, the location was great if you like Times Square, as I do.

• Liked — dark wood furnishings, location
  • Disliked — mid-level service at top-level price
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stormville
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my two kids (12 & 13) during the Easter holiday. The hotel was pricey ($379/night) and I was feeling a bit cheated until I met the front desk staff. Their friendly smiles, helpful attitudes, and the special M&Ms gift that they left for us in our room made the difference. I can honestly say that I did not hear my neighbors nor the street noise so the hotel is sound proof - this I loved! If you decide to visit Times Sqaure you must splurge on the the Gray-Line bus tour's All Loops package. We practically experienced everything that NYC has to offer tourists. Over a 3 day period using the Gray-Line hop-on/hop-off service (included in the All Loops package) we were able to dine in Harlem for a soul food dinner at Sylvia's, ate breakfast in Little Italy, shopped in SoHo, visited the WTC site, shopped at Century 21 department store, toured the MET, spotted celebrities, ate LOTS of sweets at Dylan's Candy Bar, toured Wall Street, etc., all by using the Gray-Line tours. Don't buy the tour package from the street vendors! Call their 1-800 # and pick the tickets up to save 10%. The ticket office is very close to this hotel. Thanks to Gray-Line, this hotel, and a great pair of walking shoes, this was the BEST vacation ever! The kids loved it and so did I - worth every penny!

• Liked — Soundproofing - no noise - it was great!
  • Disliked — Not enough soap, lotion, etc. They don't leave enough toiletries for 3 people in the bathroom.
7 Thank J S
San Francisco,CA
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We headed over to the Renaissance Hotel after a dreadful night at another hotel around the block. As soon as we walked into our room, we knew we had made the right choice to shell out a bit more cash for a highly rated hotel in the same area. The room was spacious, the view of Times Square was great, the staff were helpful, and most importantly, the bed was super comfortable! This is a very nice hotel and we highly recommend it if you are staying in Times Square.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CALove2Travel
staffordshire,UK
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We stayed here for three nights around the end of March.
The style is a mixture of contemporary and art deco and manages to convey a feeling of understated class with a relaxed atmosphere.
We stayed on the fifteenth floor and had a view out onto 7th Avenue. Plenty of hustle and bustle going on outside 24/7 but we were never disturbed by this as the soundproofing is excellent.
The staff were very friendly and our maid even left us a thankyou note for the tip we left her each day.
The location is excellent for the Broadway theatres along with plenty of restaurants and shops. The Olive Garden is right underneath the hotel (hotel starts on 2nd floor) and there is a great juice bar called Jambas next door.
Also handy is the main stop for the Gray Line open top bus tours (just across the street). We found this very handy for seeing pretty much the whole of Manhattan in a short period. The subway station is also next door.
The Rockefeller Center is a couple of blocks away, so is easily walkable. The Top of the Rock is a must-do visit.
All-in-all we found our stay very enjoyable with the hotel providing a comfortable and friendly stay with a touch of class in a great central location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of drawer space
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family