“Perfect”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #180 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We stayed at this property for one night in October and had a great time. The hotel could not be located more centrally to the action and was perfect for either the tourist or business traveler. The rooms are nice -- slightly larger than other rooms we have stayed in in NYC -- and are very well appointed. The guest rooms are on higher floors and are very well insulated -- we hardly heard any noise from the street. Staff was also very friendly, something that you don't always find in NYC.

We stayed at the Marriott East Side before and would definitely choose this property over that one -- quality and location are much better. The Residence Inn Times Square is comparable to this property (except that the rooms are much larger at the Residence Inn). The rates are also generally much higher at the Residence Inn, though.

We would definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank bluebell98
There are newer reviews for Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Reviewed October 10, 2006

It was my first trip to NY and I wanted to stay somewhere in the middle of the action. This hotel is perfect for that. Everything is just a short jaunt away. The room was very clean and the hotel staff made above-average effort to accomodate a rollaway cot and gave about 15 towels (3 women the room), which were very very appreciated. The hotel was very secure. The little drawbacks were that the internet is available only Monday-Friday during business hours (if you needed to do business which I did but didn't want to drag my laptop)...and the hotel restuaurant for breakfast was less than fabulous. However Foley's (the major restaurant) was very very nice for supper and excellent seafood.
I would definitely stay again for sure.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
16  Thank ShaunaLynne77
Reviewed October 7, 2006

Having stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites during my past three visits to New York, I was ready for a new hotel for my most recent vacation. The Renaissance, which is only a couple buildings away from the Doubletree, had caught my eye during my last visit, and so I decided to give it a shot. To put it briefly, it was a very smart choice. Although it has a couple problems, they were not enough to sour my experience. The Renaissance is my favorite hotel I've stayed at in NY so far.

The service and the people working at the hotel are always the first thing any guest notices. In this department, the hotel excels, with some very friendly and competent staff that not only know how to smile and say hello to you (unlike some other hotels I've stayed at), but they are willing to help any way they can, and do so very quickly. They were willing to supply just about anything you needed, and when one of the sink faucet handles in my bathroom felt like it was coming loose as if it would fall off, they immediately sent someone up to fix it, and the problem was solved by the time I came back to my room early in the afternoon. The concierge was also a highlight. Extremely friendly, always willing to help, and he genuinely seemed interested in what you wanted to know, and gave you a very informed opinion and answer. The staff is great all around, and a great start to the hotel's many plusses. The free apples they offer at the front desk everyday are also great for a snack to hold you over until dinner, or if you just want a quick breakfast.

The staff had pretty much already made a great impression, but the room really won me over. You enter the room, and there's a small marble hallway with a beautiful and large marble bathroom off to one side, and an equally large double closet on the other that's so large I was able to hold all of my luggage as well as my clothes, and still have tons of room left over. The room itself is very spacious for NY standards, and comes with a lovely bed that caused me to sleep a little later than I planned to on more than one occasion. (And I'm notorious for being an early riser!) The marble bathroom was also a winner with a deep tub perfect for soaking, and a shower head that had great water pressure. The only downside I can think of with the room was that the TV could have been better, and the reception on the channels was sometimes a bit iffy, as the picture would jump up and down for a couple seconds from time to time. But, it didn't happen very often, and when you're in New York, you're not going to spend a lot of time sitting in your room and watching TV.

The Renaissance really pleases in just about every way. The dark wood and marble tone of the entire building is warm and inviting, as well as giving it a special feel and tone that you can't find at the numerous cookie cutter hotels in the Time Square area that are large and have gorgeous lobbies, but feature nothing you can't get in a local hotel in terms of rooms. You get all this, plus the great centralized location. I saw 7 shows while I was in NY (The Drowsy Chaperone, Forbidden Broadway, Jersey Boys, The Wedding Singer, Tarzan, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me), and all of them were a 5-10 minute walk away from the hotel. I guess the only negative I can think of, besides the previous minor problem with the TV, is that you definitely pay ofr the quality. It's a bit overpriced, especially the in-house restaurant which offers a great view, but the food isn't quite great enough to charge the rates that they're asking. But, at least you feel like you're getting your money's worth for the most part.

As if this review hasn't made the point clear already, the Renaissance is well worth a visit. I'm actually surprised it's not higher in the ranking. Hopefully this review will convince more people to give it a try. I may be staying at a different hotel during my next visit, but if that idea falls through, the Renaissance will definitely be my first choice. All I know is I'll definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
21  Thank Keiichi73
Reviewed October 7, 2006

Stayed at the Renaissance in Jan 2006 and had a wonderful time so it was our 1st choice of hotel when we decided to revisit NYC in Sept 2006. Rooms are well appointed with a huge deep bath for a long soak after a hard days walking around the City. The beds are so comfortable it is hard to get up in the mornings. (Thick DURHAM mattresses). The pillows are soft and fluffy. The rooms are cleaned every day with fresh towels left. Rooms have direct dial telephone, internet connections, mini bar, television and a safe for your valuables. Hotel lobby has bell boys who open doors for you and greet you with a smile on entering the hotel. Guests take a lift up one floor from the lobby to the reception area on the 1st floor. This adds to the feeling of security for guests. The hotel itself is in a fantastic spot - right in the heart of Times Square. ( 7th avenue and 47th street). Handy position for visiting all major tourist sites and very handy for the TKTS kiosk for your theatre tickets. Hotel concierge OMAR deserves a special mention, nothing is too much trouble for him. Recommended places to eat - Try SPARKS restaurant for a fantastic fillet mignon. For breakfast - you must go to ELLENS STARDUST DINER on 51st street. Wannabee Broadway stars singing to you while you tuck in. Fantastic experience. Kids may enjoy the MARS 2112 experience - opposite the Winter Gardens theatre - dinner served by aliens. For a real treat, take a river cruise on the WORLD YACHT. $90 dollars each but worth every cent. Great food, music and dancing. The music and view at the Statue of Liberty will bring tears to your eyes.
Places to visit - Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Bronx Zoo, Central Park, FAO Schwartz toy shop, Trump Tower, Grand Central station, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, NYPD museum and 5th Avenue shops.
I will definitely be staying at this wonderful hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Jurgysgirl
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Just back from my and my 81-yr. old mother's first trip to NYC. The Renaissance suited us quite well. My priorities in choosing a hotel included: central location for simplicity in seeing as much of NYC as possible, adequate-sized room, nice view, and above-average hotel to make my mother's trip special. The Renaissance got high marks in every area.

Since it was our first trip, we actually enjoyed being in Times Square--the constant excitement was fun for us. The amazingly convenient access to subways, Grayline HOHO buses, shopping and theatres was fabulous.

Our room on the 19th floor facing 7th Street was very large (apparently for NYC standards), VERY quiet, sparkling clean, and had lusciously comfortable bedding. I had gotten a rate of $279 /night through a special offer on the hotel's website, which I felt was a great value.

We had a couple of delicious breakfast buffets at Foley's Fishhouse in the hotel. Yes, we could have eaten cheaper elsewhere, but the awesome views of TImes Square were a great way to start our days. Our waiters were very attentive and friendly.

The front desk staff and concierge were very accomodating (if not effusively friendly); we had no complaints there. There IS a "different" aroma in the lobby (probably cooking fish from the restaurant??), but we only smelled it in the lobby and it didn't particularly bother us.

We LOVED NYC and the Renaissance!

• Stayed: September 2006
9  Thank jnew55
Reviewed October 1, 2006

Stayed at the hotel for two nights. I find that the price of 400 per night was a bit steep, however, given the location, I suppose it was not too bad. I must say, the staff was one of the friendliest in NYC – always smiling, pleasant, courteous, never condescending or patronizing. Although hotel is a definitely 4 star, it has 5 star beds: clean, crisp and very, very comfortable. You will definitely have a good night of rest after long walking hours in the city. Hotel’s restaurant has the view, but not worth eating at more then once.

The food was ok and kind of pricey. We ate at Maxie across the street from the Lobby of the hotel -- decent prices, but beware, the name says it all, portions are enormous and starter salad can be easily shared by 3-4 people. Same goes for pretty much every other dish that we have tried there. Go to Pax for light breakfast and lunch and ask Renaissance concierge for the dinner suggestions – the ones we tried were pretty good!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank VaTravel
Reviewed August 23, 2006

I booked this hotel when my first choice the Marriott Marquis was
unavailabe. Hotel is centrally located and nice and quiet.

Rooms are a good size, bathroom has a nice deep tub for
long soaks after a day in NYC. I had a room with a king size bed and it was lovely.

I didn't like having to take 2 elevators to get to my room, but,
I will say I never had to wait more than 2 minutes for an elevator.

Warning: unlike every other Marriott property I have stayed in,
(at least a dozen) that puts a $50.00 per day hold for "incidentals" this one puts $100.00 and doesn't bother to
inform you. I noticed it and went to speak to the front desk and got nothing but attitude from the woman there. Not a very pleasant way to start a stay.

All in all, though the hotel is nice and except for the rude woman at the desk everyone else I came in to contact with was great.

I might stay again, but, it will not be my first choice.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo