“In the heart of all the action..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #153 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“In the heart of all the action..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Full disclosure .. I am a Renaissance junkie. The property in Times Square is an excellent example of a trendy oasis in the middle of the Times Square madness. The Rbar offers up tasty beverages and delectable nosh as well as an excellent view. The rooms are comfortable, functional and trendy. The staff is on point and know how to treat guest. Over all an excellent stay. I will stay here again.. Soon.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

For such a high rated hotel, it is so relaxing. You are individually important to the staff, they are all amazing and for an Aussie who felt at first lost in such a huge magnificent city, the staff helped me so much, from providing maps, tours and local secrets for great food. The hotel is so stunning, decor, rooms are generous and views incredible. Right in the centre of Times Square, you have everything at your door and it is everything you hope it will be and more. I have stayed twice and will be back, when we come back to New York. Congratulations on having one of the best hotels in New York.

Room Tip: A room looking over the lights of a Time Square.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This hotel usually prices above what I like to pay but I got a great deal and we stayed here over Presidents Day weekend. For us, seeing shows is the reason for the trip. This hotel is centrally located for the theater district. The staff are very pleasant and professional, unlike some other properties in the area. They were even polite when I returned at 3AM on our first night and forgot my room number (a quick check of my ID and I was on my way). The main floor was often filled either with foreign tourists or people enjoying the lounge so we didn't linger there for long. The health club was well taken care for and usually empty. If the price was right or no object, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is a yearly update on the hotel we visit every year for the last 5 years. Ideally located in Times Square, this property offers the best in service and location to enjoy NYC. This hotel is located on a small block next to Jamba Juice and far enough from Olive Garden. It is close to every subway uptown or downtown. The entry may seem small, but there us a reason....checking is located at the entry, and you have to take an elevator to the main lobby of the hotel...this provides security and keeps the riff raff out. The main lobby is where the restaurant, bar and concierge is located. 3 elevators whisk you to the floor of your choice. We had an early check in 8 am...Joe at check in was able to find us a corner room on the 8th floor. The room was a junior suite with nice bathroom ,king bed, and plenty of room to stretch out. The fitness area is what I like most....free headphones to watch tv on the machines, plenty of towels, water machine, and fresh apples everyday. I always judge a hotel by its fitness room....Renaissance does a great job at maintaining..
Manii, who is one of the valet/bell person, has seen us every year and always welcomes us with a greeting...he must see thousands of people, but seems to always remember my wife and I when we visit.
Whether this is your first time to NYC or if you are a frequent visitor....this is the place to be in the heart of Times Square...
Jamba Juice is nearby...TKTS is where you can buy theatre tickets for 40 to 50 pct off!....food emporium nearby...Sullivan's Bakery for the best croissants and bombolini...Margon for Cuban sandwich and roasted chicken with rice, beans, and plantains...Tri Tip in Rockefeller center for the biggest salad..and finally on Lafayette street Bobby Flays Gato and the Library at the Public for great food and 5 star service!
I'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Room 817 corner room...great view and very quiet but close to elevator
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank TRAVELWAY52
Westlake Village
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised how relaxing this hotel was considering it was literally in the middle of Times Sq. The area where you check in is very small and modest looking. But once we were sent upstairs to the lobby it was another world. The lobby is decorated with a very artistic flare. It was so interesting. This area is very comfortable and has everything you need to hang out, whether you are waiting for your room, on the internet, having a drink or a meal. The view from the R-Lounge was amazing!! The service was impeccable!! Our room was quite. The bed comfortable. The bathroom was huge and very accomadating. Loved it! The breakfast was perfect. The biggest issue I had was the work/desk area in our room that has a strip of outlets to hook up internet, charging phones etc did not work. Only a couple electrical plugs actually worked in our room. That was a little frustrating. And the coffee pot was not stocked with coffee, so I had to track down a housekeeper first thing in the morning. Other than that we loved our time there and we will go back. :)

Room Tip: I always ask for a high room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Kym C
Olivia R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Renaissance Times Square! Our view from R Lounge is definitely one you cannot forget! Thank you for your excellent feedback! We hope you will come back and visit us, and we will be sure to have your coffee stocked.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

THIS is where to stay in Time Square. It is a gorgeous, trendy, beautiful hotel. Service was top line, and the rooms were spacious. You had the feeling of being off in your own world in the middle of NYC. Everything about the hotel is 100% from the location, to the service, to the lobby, to the decorations....my new favorite!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
      Location
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Jules18587
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I,ve just returned from a one week stay at this property. My feelings are a bit mixed - probably maybe because I expected much more. It is as others have mentioned , more of a boutique hotel. The lobby is tiny and a really quiet place shut off by all the cacophony from outside. You take a lift to the lobby level and then again another lift to your rooms. I was told I had been upgraded as a Platinum Elite member to a junior suite. The name is a total misnomer as its just another corner room with an extra one feet of space. I was also disappointed to be given a room on the lowest floor whereby I could only see the air-con machines from my window. The decor is average and the rooms look quite outdated. Bathroom was really small and had a shower instead of a bath.
As an elite member the perks are not bad actually. Free internet and free breakfast in the lovely R-lounge facing Times Square. However its served only on weekdays and the lounge is packed to capacity with items running out of stock and no cutlery present either.
Likewise you are given a coupon for a free appetizer from the room service menu or in the lounge for four days a week. Weekends means you get nothing and earn a bonus of 2000 points in lieu of no breakfast. You can print out your boarding passes free of charge from the business center
What makes this property stand out above the neighboring MM is the level of service of the staff. Each and every person was so nice and sweet and very helpful. And obviously the location is unbeatable if its Times Square that you are looking for.
Would I return again to this property? Hmmm...probably not and might try staying in the JWM to see how it feels to be away from Times Square!

Room Tip: High floors
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank DXBDOC
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Renaissance New York Times Square. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the R Lounge with panoramic views of Times Square. Your positive comments regarding staff service were shared with the ambassadors in each department and they were celebrated for making a difference in your stay. We are taking steps to address the areas for improvement and look forward to having you back as our guest in the future! We appreciate your loyalty and thank you for taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor.