“Best location in NYC”

Ranked #183 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Columbia, Maryland
“Best location in NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Here on business for 2 nights. Right in the heart of Times Square. All the lights, all the shows, Broadway to the back side, what more can I say? Room was beautifully decorated, I loved the bench in the glass shower. Frig and safe came in handy. I would definitely stay here again...as long as the job is paying! I wish it were more affordable.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Hudson River Valley, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Room was larger than expected for a NYC hotel (double room). City view was so-so from the room but lounge at lobby level has a great view of Times Square. Easy walking distance to most theaters and Restaurant Row. We were there during the Polar Vortex so nice to have a warm place close by. Staff seemed friendly and helpful. Liked that the room had a refrigerator to chill water bottles we purchased at nearby Duane Reade (would never pay $8 for bottled water offered in the room). Hotel is next door to TKTS TKTS booth which is convenient if looking for discounted tickets to a show. Check in area very dark, but once you take elevator to lounge, the hotel seemed brighter. One has to walk through the lounge to access elevator bank to rooms so allow time to access two elevator banks when going to and from room. Wish wireless Internet was complimentary in rooms. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Be aware this is a pet friendly hotel so if you have allergies, may wish to stay elsewhere. Also if...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
nj
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have stayed here several times and next in March 2014. Can't say I love it here but only the convenient location. Staff tries but it seems the environment in NY wins. Busy and crowded hotel. Lounge closed on the weekend and I always manage a weekend + visit of 3-5 days.
Just saving money on the lounge. Their system for the lounge of vouchers is not welcomed as often the lounge is closed for private events and I was not informed on check in so seems renting the lounge is more important than a regular gold member guest! The lounge for breakfast if you can call it that leaves much to desire as almost no service staff and I could hardly call coffee and eggs breakfast or the quality of food decent!
Rooms are like a shoe box but typical in NY. Last time the elevators had issues - broken - repairs and including stuck in the elevator and walking 5 floors.
The manager promised to do something if I contacted her so now is your chance for my next visit in March - How about a suite since I never get an upgrade here????????????

How about something special for your loyal guests for all the inconveniences
one time was no hot water (sorry we don't have a generator or back up)
another time the parking garage elevator broke and no car so I was late for my work
I understand it is NY - but at $400 a night get it right

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rich W
Jennifer D, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance NY Times Square Hotel. We appreciate your feedback regarding your time at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay. The hotel is continuing to make improvements so we can prevent problems like the ones that you experienced. Please contact the hotel manager on duty directly to discuss your upcoming stay. We look forward to showing you the great service that we do provide on your March visit.
Delabole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Ok, let's start by ridding some of the rumours...for a City Central hotel, this hotel was by no means small for it's room size. In fact, I would say ours (on the 15th floor) was absolute typical for a hotel of this type.

Rooms were well equipped with flat screen TV's, coffee machine, decent matress and a fridge. There was no mini bar although 2 medium sized bottles of water were on the side with a $8 price tag on (each!!) Make sure they don't try charging you for these on checkout though like they did with us...

Location wise...great if you want Broadway shows, 5th Avenue, Central Park etc. If you prefer the more urban feel (as we discovered we did) it's about a $15 cab trip downtown to the village areas.

Staff were great, particulary 'Omar' who worked on concierge. Omar kindly sorted a couple of minor issues for us regarding our limo pick up and then found us a voucher online to use at a nearby theatre for 'Jersey Boys'. There was a doorman on front reception as well who really went out of his way to be helpful.

Our flight coming home was very early morning which meant having to check out at 4am. Nevertheless, staff were manning the concierge desk then and checking out was a painless breeze.

The hotel sports a really excellently located bar which 'juts out' into Times Square. The view from there is amazing and ironically, when compared to the cost of a bottle of water in the rooms, a cocktail or snack in the bar really wasn't that expensive.

Noise? Come on...it's the centre of New York!! If you expect to awaken to the sounds of skylarks and running streams, then NYC isn't for you. On the 15th floor we were 'aware' of noise down below, especially the first night when repairs to the road were made at 5am...but nothing I wouldn't have expected to hear in the centre of town.

All in all, a good place to stay if you want mid/uptown. Clean, modern and well equipped with friendly knowledgable staff.

Room Tip: The higher, the better (for noise).
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hogtronix
Billings, MT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I'm a bit late, but took notes & wanted to get my review in. We stayed here for eight nights Nov. 29th thru Dec. 7th. We checked in about 7pm Friday night (Friday after Thanksgiving). I had reserved a King room. We were given room 1401, end of the hall, corner room. We felt it was kind of small, but settled in. When we checked in I did request a high floor room, but 14 was all they had since I was one of last to check in. So, the next morning I decided to see if all the King rooms were the same size. The gal asked me what room we were in and said we were in one of the smaller rooms. I told her we were there for 7 more nights and would prefer a bigger room. She said she did have another room if we wanted to move right now. Perfect! Lo & behold, room 2603 was clean & ready. Back to the first room, throw all our stuff in our suitcases and up to floor 26, TOP FLOOR, sweet! We get to the room & drop our things off. Room was bigger and on the highest floor of the hotel. We had a great stay & enjoyed the R Lounge a few times. We liked the room enough to basically stay in all day, one day, just to relax. The hotel & rooms were clean and staff friendly. If we wanted to stay in TS again, I'd stay here, however, we would most likely stay out of TS and due to all the people. We enjoyed it and can say we did TS but would stay at another Renaissance location next time. Just too many people, but it was the holiday season and expected it. This is a smaller hotel (# of room wise, therefore, less people too). The other plus of this hotel is having a fridge & coffee maker in the room, which is very high on my hubby's hotel room requirements. It's nice not having to go buy a $5 cup of coffee first thing. If you are looking for a TS hotel, this property is definite do!

Room Tip: Top floor is nice, but you do not want an end room if more than 1 person in the room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance over New Years Eve 2013 and the hotel combined with the experience was amazing!

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by the concierge and check in was very effortless.

The room was amazing, with a view over broadway on the 17th floor. The room was exceptionally big for the location, and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Jill was brilliant in assisting me and my fiancée with our requests, but her and her team did not fail us, from booking restaurants to providing goods to our room!

We would definitely stay here again when visiting NYC as it is in perfect location to walk anywhere in midtown!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julian D
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance NY Times Square Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have recognized Jill for her outstanding service during your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel itself is fantastic. The location is right in Times Square, and everything about the hotel is luxurious. The views out of some of the rooms, including the R Lounge, are as good as it gets for tourist. Rooms are large, comfortable, and clean. No complaints at all regarding the hotel/rooms; however, this is a really unfriendly hotel for Marriott Rewards members (I'm platinum). They don't have a concierge lounge, so they just give you vouchers for something off the R Lounge menu each night (appetizer). Here's a summary of my nights:

1. Fish tacos - EXTREMELY SMALL portion. Like, one bite tacos.
2. Chicken burger - I'm not sure this thing was cooked properly, it was really funky, left most of it uneaten
3. Grilled cheese panini - burnt. So burnt, that's all I tasted.
4. Redeemed my voucher for a soda only to avoid eating at the R Lounge again.

Breakfast is pretty weak as well compared to other Marriotts. One morning they didn't even put out the hot foods until 20 minutes after the room opened. They could learn a lot from the Marriott Marquis lounge, which is only a block away.

On top of all that, the hotel didn't credit the MR points to my account...so I have to call Marriott Customer Service and submit my receipts to get credit for the stay. I cancelled all of my future stays at this hotel and rebooked at other Marriotts in the area (Marquis, Lexington, and Algonquin are closeby).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business