“Great place to stay!!”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #180 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“Great place to stay!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently went to see Wicked and stayed at the Renaissance overnight. Hotel was very clean and we had a great view of Time Square! The restaurant has an awesome view of Time Square, very good food and very friendly waiters!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Glenna S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Boston
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My family and I chose R Lounge for the outstanding views of Times Square but were surprised to find that it also offered quite good food for a tourist location. On a Sunday brunch, the lounge was calm but not sedate, had comfortable seating with couches and low chairs and had a contemporary but welcoming vibe. The servers were very pleasant and the patrons consisted of older adults, families with young children and a few chic couples as well. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. R Lounge was a great start for a day of sight-seeing in the city and we expect to make it a regular stop on subsequent visits. It is in the middle of everything but not teeming with people the way so many other Times Square attractions seem to be.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank camerabag
New York
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I travel to NY a lot and have stayed at this hotel many times and I've never had a bad experience which is hard to stay because it's right in Times Square. If you're a tourist and trying to experience times square you can't find a better location. They have a great lounge overlooking times square which is fun for people watching. The staff is great and actually takes the time to talk and listen to you rather than just treat you as a room number. The hotel is really modern and clean and if you can, spring for one of the end rooms as they're decent size for NYC. I'm a Marriott and SPG person so I've stayed at all those properties in times square (Westin, W, Marquee, etc) and this one is my favorite because it's smaller and has more of a boutique feel which makes it more personal rather than walking into some overwhelming hotel with huge lines at the front desk and elevators. The gym is also good size and has a good selection of equipment and it was never very busy (at least when I was there). Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and it's excellent staff, although I know it's kind of pricey but that's how all the hotels are in times square.

Room Tip: I like the end rooms because they're a bit bigger (I think junior suites maybe). On the lower f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank hellothereyou
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

I bought 2 nigths in a deal on priceline, and was one of the best hotels that i have ever been. I recomend this hotel the room is clean and bathroom is good. The location is fantastic on Times Square. the hotel lounge bar has one of the best views from Times Square. One day I hope be back to this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I will start by describing the group of guests that I was with, and I think my one star review will be clearly understood. I arrived with a group of 10 ladies and gentleman. All of professional standing. 2 gentleman are owners of a construction company, one is a fashion designer, another an event planner, a party promoter in vegas, a party promoter in NYC, a psychologist, and entrepreneurs. All of us travel a lot, we stay in high-end hotels and in ecofriendly hotels when we just need a one night stay etc. NEVER in all of our traveling were we told the following "You are not guests in our Hotel."

We were coming to the Renaissance after a night out in the city. We requested a few rooms and it was taking some time to find rooms since it was at 6:00 AM. During our waiting, we all sat down on the couches, tired and drained from our night. We were being helped by one of the staff, she was nice. Then another staff walked in, full of attitude, before she even new what was going on. She then said to me "Get this boy up from the chair, You are not guests of this Hotel.!!" Now, I would understand if she would address us that way if we were rowdy teens or adults, but there was none of that, as I mentioned we were drained.

Obviously, we immediately decided to leave the hotel. When we requested her name, her response: "I do not need to give you guys my name! I am calling security" (Physical Description: medium hight, light brown skin, kinky hair in a pony, beauty marks on her face.)

This encounter shocked me, I do not know how to process this. I am wondering if she was hearing loud noises in her head and assumed it was coming from us :) lol.

I hope the supervisors and managers of this hotel see this review, since I strongly believe that we were not the only ones mistreated. A staff who mistreats potential guests so severely, definitely has mistreated others as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank dollysh
Midwest
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in the Renaissance at Times Square to catch a show and be touristy for the weekend. We have stayed in a number of other locations in Manhattan, but picked this one to be close to the theaters and have great access to the R-Lounge, their bar with great night-time views of Times Square.

If you don't like to deal with the chaos of Time Square, this would not be the place for you. But if you need to be in the area- or prefer to not have to subway or cab back to your hotel after an evening show- the Renassaince is is quiet, clean, and the rooms are spacious. I generally hate the tiny NYC rooms, and would rather pay more for this place, than the same ammount for the Dream Downtown in Chelsea- for a much smaller space.

Wish there was an earler check-in time though. 4 PM seems really late, and then to have to be out by noon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is by far one the best hotels in NYC, especially if you want to be in the Times Square location. I have traveled to NYC several times for work and this is by far one of my most favorite hotels. Other hotels in Times Square are filled with too many tourists and can be annoying for business travelers. This is very convenient to the subway system as well.

This hotel has amazing views. During one of my trips, they were filming Sex in the City 2 in the Lounge area (which overlooks Times Square).

I have stayed at this hotel several times and unfortunately I had to select a month for when I travled...but again, I have been here several times and it has been very consistent. I will caveat that statement, with the fact that I am a Platinum member with Marriott Rewards.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business