“Obnoxious Staff Member”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #171 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I will start by describing the group of guests that I was with, and I think my one star review will be clearly understood. I arrived with a group of 10 ladies and gentleman. All of professional standing. 2 gentleman are owners of a construction company, one is a fashion designer, another an event planner, a party promoter in vegas, a party promoter in NYC, a psychologist, and entrepreneurs. All of us travel a lot, we stay in high-end hotels and in ecofriendly hotels when we just need a one night stay etc. NEVER in all of our traveling were we told the following "You are not guests in our Hotel."

We were coming to the Renaissance after a night out in the city. We requested a few rooms and it was taking some time to find rooms since it was at 6:00 AM. During our waiting, we all sat down on the couches, tired and drained from our night. We were being helped by one of the staff, she was nice. Then another staff walked in, full of attitude, before she even new what was going on. She then said to me "Get this boy up from the chair, You are not guests of this Hotel.!!" Now, I would understand if she would address us that way if we were rowdy teens or adults, but there was none of that, as I mentioned we were drained.

Obviously, we immediately decided to leave the hotel. When we requested her name, her response: "I do not need to give you guys my name! I am calling security" (Physical Description: medium hight, light brown skin, kinky hair in a pony, beauty marks on her face.)

This encounter shocked me, I do not know how to process this. I am wondering if she was hearing loud noises in her head and assumed it was coming from us :) lol.

I hope the supervisors and managers of this hotel see this review, since I strongly believe that we were not the only ones mistreated. A staff who mistreats potential guests so severely, definitely has mistreated others as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank dollysh
Write a ReviewReviews (2,447)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in the Renaissance at Times Square to catch a show and be touristy for the weekend. We have stayed in a number of other locations in Manhattan, but picked this one to be close to the theaters and have great access to the R-Lounge, their bar with great night-time views of Times Square.

If you don't like to deal with the chaos of Time Square, this would not be the place for you. But if you need to be in the area- or prefer to not have to subway or cab back to your hotel after an evening show- the Renassaince is is quiet, clean, and the rooms are spacious. I generally hate the tiny NYC rooms, and would rather pay more for this place, than the same ammount for the Dream Downtown in Chelsea- for a much smaller space.

Wish there was an earler check-in time though. 4 PM seems really late, and then to have to be out by noon.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is by far one the best hotels in NYC, especially if you want to be in the Times Square location. I have traveled to NYC several times for work and this is by far one of my most favorite hotels. Other hotels in Times Square are filled with too many tourists and can be annoying for business travelers. This is very convenient to the subway system as well.

This hotel has amazing views. During one of my trips, they were filming Sex in the City 2 in the Lounge area (which overlooks Times Square).

I have stayed at this hotel several times and unfortunately I had to select a month for when I travled...but again, I have been here several times and it has been very consistent. I will caveat that statement, with the fact that I am a Platinum member with Marriott Rewards.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kolby2001
Reviewed October 23, 2013

An great location for theater and the excitement of Times Square. Room was larger than expected and nicely furnished. The second floor lobby was a nice place to sit for a bit and get away from the intense energy of Times Square.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for three nights with my son and his wife. We had a one bedroomed suite with two bathrooms which was great. There was a sofa bed in the lounge area which was very comfortable, and we had complimentary breakfast each day and snacks before dinner. The breakfasts were very good, cereals, eggs bacon, etc and a good choice of tea, coffee and juice, and they were served in the RBar which gave you the most fantastic view of Times Square.
The rooms were spotless, and if you want to be in the heart of everything, you can't go wrong with this hotel.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Angela B
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night, using points, before boarding a cruise ship the next morning. We normally avoid Times Square, but it was a good deal. It is located in the heart of Times Square, as its impressive RBar view attests. If you are a tourist who wants to be in (crowded) Times Square and near the Theater District, this is a good choice; and we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel's service and amenities

The view from the bar is very impressive and the lobby is quite modern and good for socializing. I would have liked the entrance from the street to be a little more secure. There was no full-time person checking to make you are a hotel guest before letting you enter the elevator to the lobby.

Our room was good, with a decent size bathroom and a comfortable bed. With the exception of the bar waiter, everyone else was very friendly, professional, knowledgeable. We prefer a smaller hotel in a quieter area of Manhattan. But if you are new to NYC and want too be in vibrant, crowded, touristy Times Square - give it a try.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Booked hotel on points, you cannot beat the location.....right in the middle of everything. Broadway, central park restaurant row, sigh seeing tours all right out side the door. Inside you hear none of the noise. The view from the bar out over times square is amazing. The rooms are spotless and great size for nyc and the staff from the front desk, bellmen and concierge could not have been more helpful or nice. we were there for our anniversary...i mentioned this in passing to someone, and when we came back to the room....there was a special gift from the manager. Tottally did not expect that, what a nice gesture. Also, the breakfast was one of the best meals we had in the city.

1  Thank funtraveler443