“what a view!!!”

Ranked #182 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Vaughan, Canada
“what a view!!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

best hotel in times square hands down. love the view and the staff! what a great hotel my family loved it...be sure to hit up the red lobster in times square! also be sure to go to little italy it is only a 15-30 minute walk from times square.

Room Tip: Times square view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We spent a few days here as our base for seeing the sights of New York. Nice clean reasonably modern rooms with great views of time square and all the activities. View from the bar is unique and superb. Defiantly recommend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I first walked in around 10pm and I had 4 people all together in my room and she said she had no doubles available. I already knew it said I could either have a king or double when I made the res. the lady who checked me in went above and beyond. She said what if I split the rate in half and give you separate rooms. I was blown away. I mean I have never got offered that in my life time. I wish I got her name but I stayed there on July 20th and my name is Taneha. I want to give recognition to her because that's how a guest should be treated.

The room however was not as I expected. The shower was a little dirty. Didnt want to complain because it was late. I would only stay here again because of the customer service I received.

• Stayed July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked thru Priceline, Would have wanted the Marriott Marquis for location closer to the theaters (and TS view) but that was a difference of 2 blocks.

Decor was modernish, rooms were relatively clean. We had drive up/valet parking parking. We didn't need to park it ourselves. Two days cost $116 for parking. We came early and were able to leave our things before check in--they let us check in at around 2:30/3:00.

The bathroom was nice, water pressure and hot water was beyond expectation for NYC.
There were some long hairs on the bedspread, and some in the shower. That is why I said relatively clean. I am not usually a high maintenance person, but for the price and ratings of this hotel that should have been taken care of.
Beds were comfortable.
There is a fridge, coffee maker and water (Fiji) which costs $8 if you drink one.
The view is not of TS, not a total big deal because we ended up just sleeping and resting in the room when were were in there.
There was a TV with movie services, we just watched some things. Weirdly, the main channels like NBC and ABC said No signal or something, and we had to wait for a while while flipping through to get back a real signal. (anyway-who watches TV when they come to NY???right??)

Free Wifi only in lobby.
The location of this hotel was close enough to walk to our broadway show, the rock, restaurant row and walking to FAO SCHWARZ.

The elevators were weird. You had to take one to the lobby, then to another area for your rooms. It seemed like only 2 were working and it was a long wait for 14th floor.
In general it was a good hotel with a great location.

I will probably pick somewhere else next time just because I try different places.

Room Tip: check in at 4pm, there are no views really
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ellendejavu
arnold,maryland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our family of four recently spent two nights at the Renaissance. Our room had two doubles and was a very nice size for New York standards. The room was very clean and the beds very comfortable. The access to wifi was confusing though. We thought it was part of the room rate and called the front desk to inquire. This was the only time we were treated rudely during our entire stay. The operator was curt and not at all helpful.
We stayed club level so we were able to have breakfast each morning in the club level restaurant. Breakfast was just the right mix of bagels etc plus hot food. The view of Times Square from the restaurant was fantastic. We also had drinks and appetizers here each evening over looking the lights and sights.
Unlike some of the large hotels in NYC the elevators were fast, no waiting or overcrowding.
We parked our car and the cost was to be expected. Not really that much for NYC. The concierge and bell hops were super helpful.
Very easy walk to the Shubert Theater where we saw Matilda.
We would definitely stay here again if we want to be in the hustle and bustle of Times Square.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you never order room service, this is actually a nice hotel. It has a great view of Times Square and it's right smack dab in the middle of the action. But if, like myself, you order room service, you're likely to be disappointed. For one thing, the hotel falsely advertises itself as having "24-hour room service". During my stay, I tried ordering room service around 3pm one afternoon and was told room service was closed until dinner. This despite the fact that there was an "All-Day" room service menu that's supposed to run 11am-11pm. I was told that the menus had not been updated. Then, I tried to order a late night snack at 1am from their late-night menu, only to be told that room service was closed for the night (despite their having a late-night menu that's supposed to be available from 11pm-6am). I was told the kitchen was "closed for renovations". The clerk then said she would send to my room a list of menus from restaurants that delivered late night, but no one ever showed up. Big disappointment. I did, however, manage to order breakfast from room service one morning, but after placing the order, I received a call ten minutes later telling me that they were out of the item I ordered. Very annoyed, I had to order something else.

So again, if you don't order room service, you should be fine here. There are lots of nice restaurants within short walking distance. But if room service is a deciding factor (as it was for me), look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrwanderlust
Olivia R, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for the post. We are very delighted you were able to experience our view and amazing location here at the Renaissance Times Square. I am very sorry that we were not able to accommodate you in regards to room service during your stay. Moving forward we will communicate with our staff room service standards and make sure our guests always receive the proper information.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a bit overrated on trip advisor. It is fine but not great.

Mattress had big nasty stain on it which was a bit unnerving.

Felt a bit empty for a full service hotel.

Breakfast in r lounge was mediocre.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your most recent stay. I am very sorry to hear about the mattress in your room. I will ensure our stylist department thoroughly checks the bedding in each room so an incident like this does not occur again. We continue to proactively work towards providing you with the best service, and we hope that you will give us another chance to experience our exemplary venue.