“Most amazing holiday ever !!!!!!!!!”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #176 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Most amazing holiday ever !!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Me and my mum went to new york for my 21st birthday it was amazing the hotel was fab And the staff were Amazing if you need any help go to the concierge named Omar he is so lovely and helpful he even done me a little birthday cake :) the hotel was near everything not too far of a walk would definitely stay here again but two little things are when you arrive at hotel they ask for a €500 deposit incase of any damage to the rooms which shocked me and my mum so in the end they agreed to €200 dollars which we got back on the day we checked out. Also in the bar we had a aggressive member of staff but we didn't let it spoil our night. Beds are so big and comfy and the baths are to die for. Also i would advise you to eat in virgils bar and grill just of times square the food was lovely and defiantly do wood berry common and madam taussauds as well as all other sights. And don't forget tiffanys.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better fews
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura210392

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed here for 4 nights and all I can say is what a hotel!! It was amazing from the minute we got there to the minute we left. First the hotel is in the best location in NY, EVER, right in the centre of Times Square!
The view from our room was fab we were so happy with it!! The staff where very helpful and nothing was ever to much especially the concierge service!!
The rooms where a good size and very clean, the maids where great, OMG the beds were soooooo comfy and big we loved it after a great long day sightseeing and shopping getting into that bed was amazing!! I would recommend anyone to stay in here, fab location, fab staff and even more a fab hotel!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor the views are amazing!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 20_Sun_Sea_Sand_11
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Hotel was OK, not what we expected it to be, free WiFi for only 3 hours is a bit pointless if your staying for 4 days. Location is fantastic and was very quiet which is surprising for the middle of Times Square. Room only and the price of food is a bit steep but there is places to eat all over so you pick an choose what you want.
One thing I will say is check out "Smilers" just across the road they do a great hot and cold choice of food, we bought food from their and ate in our room!
I can't praise the staff enough for their help, especially "Greg" (I'm not 100% sure if that was his name) he got us a Taxi for Newark airport and was very helpful to us all through our stay!
All in all I fantastic holiday and am already planning the next trip, but this time it'll be longer!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor and didn't hear any traffic at all!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Recently spent four nights here on a Spring Break trip with my teenage daughter. You can't beat the location. You are steps from all the Broadway Shows and an easy subway ride to anywhere. I can't say enough about the concierge service. Jill and Omar were amazing! They offered maps, advice and reservation service. Omar offered to send up hot tea to my friends daughter who wasn't feeling well. Room was spacious and very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 20th floor. Nice view of Times Square.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank familytravel2010_10
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel, staff went out of their way to help. Facilitated things like late checkouts etc. exceptional location (ask for room with view of Times Square). Rooms were very spacious for new york. Hope to be back!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank TF44
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2013

What can I say that the title does not. The location in the middle of Times Square is excellent and it is a very nicely appointed contemporary hotel. We had a great time and will probably stay there next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben B
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed two weeks at the Renaissance Hotel at Times Square. I was on government travel and there were not many hotels available at the government rate despite being off-season. Having not been to NYC in years, I googled the location and the map is a bit deceptive. It makes it look like the hotel is two blocks from Times Square, but in fact, the hotel *is* part of Times Square, the northern "face". That put me within easy walking distance of my location. If you are a tourist, this is the ideal location. I heard my coworkers complain about lines at the Marriott Marquis, but if you are a Marriott elite member, the benefits in that hotel appear to be better than the ones in the Renaissance.

I found the staff to be very nice, they even took the extra time to make sure the state tax was removed from the bill, which some hotels won't do for government employees. I found them to be friendly whenever I needed to approach them.

That said, I am not sure what all these "coupons" are people are referring to, obviously my Marriott silver membership isn't high enough to get any kind of discounts, because I certainly wasn't offered any. $20 for an omlette seemed crazy, especially when there are plenty of other breakfast options. Since I refused to pay the full price for food, I didn't realize there was a view in the breakfast room. The 16.99 a night for WiFi was atrocious. This is 2013 Marriott, get with the program. I saw there was a concierge desk, but only saw someone there a few times in the two weeks I was staying there. It would have been nice to have someone to talk to when I needed dinner recommendations. Instead I ended up scouring yelp.com back in the office. The second floor lounge is very dark and not inviting. I understand it's mood lighting, but the mood doesn't need to border on murderous.

The real negative for business travelers is the building. I'm not sure how old the building is, but the windows are not very well isolated. As a result, all the street noise funnels up into the room and it feels like the saxophone player on the corner wailing away at 1AM is in the bed next to you. The first week I was on the 20th floor and I could use my iPhone white noise app and that took care of most of the din. But the second week the highest room I could get was the 11th floor and it sounded like I was right on the sidewalk. Every taxi horn went right into the room. I understand it's the city that never sleeps, but I can't function that way. If you are a tourist, it's OK, sleep in a little late, but if you are there for business, it can be brutal. By Friday morning I was a zombie and fell asleep for two solid hours on the trip home.

Room Tip: As high up as you can get. Put it on the reservation box if you are booking on Marriott.com.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business