As a regular of the Marquis, I decided to give the Renaissance a try because of a much better rate, and I am glad I did as I know have a comfortable second option for stays in NYC.
First of all, this is a much smaller property, much more like a boutique hotel, and I found this translated into a more personal experience, less waiting in lines and overall an easier stay. This is not to take anything away from the Maqruis as it is a spectacle and city unto itself, but the Renaissance is a very different hotel that does things its own way quite well.
I had no problem with check-in being at street level before taking an elevator up to the lobby level. I found this allowed the lobby level to maintain a much more lounge like atmosphere without the presence of check-in desks. It's very sleek, modern and comfortable.
As others have said, the R Lounge may have the best view of Times Square. As an elite, breakfast is offered there each morning and is no different than what you'd find in a full service concierge lounge at another property. In the evening, the food vouchers allow a nice snack that depending on the order could be an entire dinner.
Staff were all friendly. I was not prepared for the rain and was provided with an umbrella for my stay.
And the best part was a room that provided an excellent night sleep. For being in the heart of Times Square, I slept like a rock on the comfortable bed in the peace and quiet of my room.
I will say that the housekeeping department could use a little work and the rooms some updating. I found trash behind some of the furniture that had clearly not been moved in quite some time. The carpet was stained in many spots. Much of the wooden furniture was scratched, dented or otherwise in less than perfect shape. But overall, that was not enough to lower my rating from 5 stars.
In the future, I would easily stay here again if the rate is reasonable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This New York City Boutique hotel is located between Avenue of the Americas & 7th Avenue. Enjoy easy access to Times Square and many other popular attractions in the area. Visit R Lounge and take in the views of the City while enjoying your favorite cocktail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance New York City
- Renaissance Hotel New York
- Renaissance Times Square
- Renaissance New York Hotel Times Square
- New York City Renaissance