“Great Choice!!”

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel
Ranked #169 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is beautifully remodeled, especially the lounges and restaurants in the lobby. The rooms are very nicely done. Check-in was extremely efficient, and the receptionist remembered my name when I returned to checkout (very impressive). The Vivid Bar/restaurant is very atmospheric and the food is superb! Only downside of the trip is that our room had an adjoining door that was paper thin so our neighbors sounded as though they were in the room with us.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank ChynnaBlu
Write a ReviewReviews (2,468)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

First time staying at the Renaissance TS as we usually stay at the Marriott. Decided on something different for a quick night out in the city. Really liked this place and the vibe was great. As a Gold Marriott Rewards member I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite and had a nice few of TS and great room.

Staff was helpful. We really enjoyed a late night drink at the R-Lounge over looking Times Square.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SalMTravels
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was my first trip to New York and the Renaissance was amazing. The hotel was very welcoming and the staff were great. We had a nice clean room and the bed was amazing perfect after being in the cold weather. The location was perfect for me as I was able to walk for most sight seeing and shopping. I highly recommend this great hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helen I
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance twice in the past month in order to attend local events, and both times we were very impressed by the friendly and accommodating staff; the valet service, front desk, concierge, housekeeping and restaurant servers are not only friendly and polite, but they work quickly to get you where and what you need without making you feel rushed.

The lobby is beautiful and well set up as a "barrier" to the street level entry. The guest rooms, specifically the bathrooms, could use a little updating. In mid-town there really is no getting away from noise no matter what hotel you stay in, Times Square is very loud and busy which is why it is so fun to visit, as a hotel with only 26 floors I don't think you would be able to escape the street sounds in this hotel.

Lastly, the location of this hotel is superior. If you are in the City to see a show or sight see, the Renaissance is easily within walking distance of many attractions and there is a subway station just outside to access other areas of the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My sons are 15 and 19 and had never visited NYC. I wanted to create a special vacation for the three of us as I know my "boys" are almost grown men. I could not have chosen a better venue! The hotel staff went out of their way to make our visit a memory that will last a lifetime! The hotel itself was elegant enough for me to relax and enjoy but still lively and modern with interesting people and an exciting atmosphere for teens.

The view of Time Square from the R Lounge is spectacular! We had a delicious dinner there the first afternoon. We were seated in front of the floor to ceiling windows and watched the light show begin. After dinner I sat back and relaxed with a glass of wine and watched from the perfect vantage point as my sons walked through TS for the first time.

Throughout our four night stay the Renaissance staff was attentive and friendly making us feel very special. I travel weekly and have reached elite status with Marriott which provides many perks but they far exceeded my expectations.

One afternoon we returned to our room and found a gift basket of snacks and sodas and a wine & cheese platter waiting for us with a personalized note from the staff. My son actually said "Mom, I'm proud to be with you. You're a little bit Rock Star!" BEST MOMENT EVER!!!! Thank you Renaissance staff!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank NaraineR
Reviewed January 27, 2013

First time in NYC or want to enjoy the city for 3-4 days, this is a wonderful hotel. Located right on Times Square close to best Broadway shows, good restaurants, shopping, fifth avenue. Tired of walking, take a cab and the fare perfectly replaces paying for subway or bus. The R Lounge is a great place to enjoy Times Square view at any time. Happy people and great service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank G5P5S
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just had five nights here and couldn't have been happier. It is a 4 star and not 5 so don't expect bathrobes and slippers etc. But we were more than satisfied.
Arrived in NYC early via ship and couldn't get an early check in. No problems.
Went for a wander. What a location! Don't stay here is you're looking for peace and quiet. You are literally in the middle of EVERYTHING.

Were a little surprised at the check in desk. It was a very small lobby area and there must have been some sort of convention happening as it was so crowded. We had to wait a while in the upstairs lobby which had free wi-fi and although not huge, it was fine.

The rooms are very big and comfortable. Amazing views of Times Square. Good beds as usual. Big bathrooms.
We had requested a high floor but were allocated No. 7. You could hear some noise from outside, particularly one night when there was a jackhammer being operated all night. That was a one off, thank goodness.

Rooms were very clean and bright. (Perhaps looking a tiny bit tired in places).

The best bit about this hotel is the bar. If you are lucky enough to get a window seat, this has to be the best view in NYC. We had drinks there on several nights before heading off into town. One barwaitress, Kathy, deserves a special mention. Her service and friendliness were outstanding.

We didn't bother with breakfast at the hotel as there are many many places nearby - especially Carniegies Deli. Wow! Go there for breakfast and you won't want lunch.......or perhaps even dinner!

Can really highly recommend this hotel if you want to be in the heart of New York. Everytime I opened the curtians I had a little 'wow' moment!

Room Tip: Try for a high floor if you don't want to hear the buzz of Times Square.