“Nice hotel - newly renovated, decent service.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection

The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #290 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Nice hotel - newly renovated, decent service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I came here for 1 night. I usually stay at a different marriott, but wanted to try a new hotel, so we stayed here.

The Lexington is a nice hotel with a good location, a few block walk to a subway station, but also within walking distance to Grand Central as well.

Upon arrival I asked for an upgrade as a platinum member, which if you don't ask, you usually won't get something. She upgraded me, but upon visiting the room, the room as overlooking the HVAC units and had a hole in the wall that wouldn't close. Upon asking for a different room, we were upgraded to a high-level Jr. Suite.

The room itself was very nicely and artfully decorated. The only issue with the room was the fact the HVAC unit didn't work in 1/2 the room and had two controls.

Might stay here again if the rates are low, but would like to try a different Marriott to get a sense of what else is in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room to get a sense of view.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hello SMR_2,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to show you how great the hotel is. I'm so sorry about the HVAC issue, however our Engineering department is on top of it! We hope you are able to host you again soon rather than opting for other hotels in NYC.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked The Lexington for a recent trip to NYC. We got a great price on the room and feel we got what we paid for. The rooms were tiny but very clean and up to date. There was NO storage space for clothes. The closet was very small; barely big enough for two winter coats. There were several hangers but not enough room to put clothing inside and no drawers of any kind to store things. There was a nice flat screen TV. The bathroom was small but adequate. There was little room to place toiletries. The shower was fine. I'm guessing that the rooms were downsized during remodeling. They probably made twice as many rooms utilizing the same space. The rooms were small even by NYC standards. The location is excellent. It is close to theaters and restaurants. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. There is a restaurant and Starbucks attached to the first floor area. There is a very nice lobby and bar for socializing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. Street noise is prominent below the 14 floor area.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi ARJACT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post and your positive comments about the staff and location! The hotel has a wide variety of guestroom sizes and layouts, and we would be happy to discuss the perfect option for you for your next visit.

Biddeford Pool, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was very impressed by the quality of both the staff and the recent restoration of this hotel. I checked in several hours early on a Friday and the desk clerk gave me a room immediately! This saved me the hassle of needing to check my bags with the bellman and gave me the opportunity to freshen up. All the staff are very friendly and professional. I liked the combination of the old, art deco detail of this hotel and the new, fresh look it got from the recent renovation. Kudos to the designer. The lobby is comfortable and vibrant, with stylish work/meeting tables on one side and a bar/lounge on the other. The room had new and comfortable furnishings, a firm mattress, a large TV and free, basic wifi. The bathroom was quite tight, as others have mentioned. Be prepared to practice being a contortionist on the toilet. No minibar or coffee maker in my room, however, there's a Starbucks right outside the elevator in the lobby. The room price was better than good, but it is February where there are deals aplenty.

Room Tip: There is no pool that I'm aware of, but I couldn't uncheck it in my ratings.
Hello Antidisestablishment,

We are so glad we were able to host you and that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for posting your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

First, the rooms are VERY small, so if you need space go somewhere different! The doors are made of paper it seems because you can hear everything going through the halls. This hotel is also connected to or very close to a night club. We were there on a Saturday night and even on the 5th floor could hear the blaring music until almost 3 am. Not to mention around 12:15 am the fire alarm went off and apparently no one knew what was going on or how to stop it. It continued for almost thirty minutes before anything happened, no announcements that it was a false alarm or anything. Then, once it turned off, close to 1 am, there were FOUR announcements that it was a false alarm and there was nothing to worry about. Yes, four separate announcements about fifteen minutes apart. Thanks for keeping the entire hotel up until 2 am. I would have been even more livid if I had kids. So around 2 am we finally fell asleep to the beating of the bass from the night club and were again awoken by people coming in around 3 am screaming through the halls right outside our paper door. All in all, it was not worth the price they charge. The temperature of the building was also off, VERY warm almost too warm for comfort.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Cjtrack,

Thank you for posting your feedback. I am truly sorry that you were unable to enjoy your stay and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss. Please feel free to call me directly at your convenience.

Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Just after midnight the fire alarm went off. Hundreds of us poured out of the hotel, from all 27 + floors. There were NO staff guiding us or announcements ~ those didn't come until over an hour later when we all were back in our rooms and then kept going for a good 30 minutes. While the guests were calm and we all looked out for one another, the hotel staff did nothing to help us. I normally stay at the Marriott East Side (which is only a 1/2 block away) and will resume staying there again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cinandran
Hello Cinandran,

I am truly sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss, please contact me at your convenience.

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Nice and seemingly newly renovated hotel, good-sized, clean rooms (got one on the 13th floor), friendly and helpful staff (asked for another room as the 1st one I got was right next to the elevator and in spite of a long line of tourists coming in at just that very moment got one quickly and with a smile). Great location, Times Square and UN within walking distance, good choice of food in vicinity, Star Bucks adjacent to lobby. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Manhattan and this one is definitely high on my list!

Room Tip: Upper-floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello GerhardBVienna,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to host you on your most recent trip. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon! Thank you for taking the time to post.

Baltimore, MD, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed at The Lexington for three days on business. The hotel is newly renovated, of modern design and looks good. I came in the 48th Street side and was checked in at the Elite counter. Very efficient and friendly. I arrived a bit early but they had my room ready to go.

I went up to the assigned room and entered. Small, but well laid-out and fresh. I began to unpack but, upon entering the bathroom, noted what can only be described as a sewage explosion in the bathtub. Gross. I called down and asked for someone to clean it. They insisted that I come back down to change rooms. I headed back down and they swapped rooms efficiently and with apologies. No worries, plumbing issues happen.

My second room was fine. Clean and fresh, if still very small. In the evening, I noted that there was no room service menu. I called down to have one brought up. An hour later, after none had arrived, I went down to the desk and asked for one. The person (I assume a manager on duty) went and retrieved one from their restaurant, Raffles. I went up and ordered without issue, though they did note that they didn't have traditional room service delivery, so it would be delivered as take-out, not with the usual room service tray, plates and flatware. No problem. (15 minutes after I placed my order, someone called asking if I was looking for the room service menu!) The food was delivered while I was in the middle of a call, so I went to the door, signed and took the food. No receipt was provided, but I didn't think anything of it. Food was okay, if skimpy - especially the 12 ounce paper cup of iced tea. It wasn't until the next evening that I got the real shock. I called room service and attempted to order something different. I was told my selection wasn't on the room service menu. Okay, I asked for something else. Again, it "wasn't on the menu." I read off from the menu I was provided and they told me that what I had been given was the restaurant take-out menu, not the room service menu. Didn't make sense, but I went ahead and ordered the exact meal I had the previous night just so I could get something. It arrived 45 minutes later (which is fine). While signing, this time without the pressure of returning to a conference call, I caught the total: $62. This was for a burger, an iced tea and a (small) slice of cake...all in sytrofoam containers in plastic bags. The prices on the restaurant/take-out menu were substantially lower (25% or more) than the actual room service prices, apparently. I let out a gafaw to the poor room service worker who said, "yeah, it's expensive." Wow, was it. Not his fault, so I didn't make an issue of it with him. I unbagged my food to find that about half of my 12 ounce paper cup iced tea (about 5 dollars worth, all in) had spilled. And the cake was even smaller than the night before. To top it off, when I checked out, even though my two room service orders were identical, the prices were about $1.20 off between the two nights. Upon checkout, I commented about how unconscionably expensive the room service was and I got another, "yeah, it's expensive" remark. Everyone knows it's a problem, but nothing is done to change it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BobinBaltimore
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear BobinBaltimore,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. I appreciate all of the feedback, both the positives about the staff as well as the opportunities. We are currently working to reinvent our In Room Dining experience to ensure that it is ideal for our guests which is why we only have the traditional take out option from Raffles Bistro currently. I assure you that your comments will certainly be reviewed with the team so that we can continue to improve. If there is anything that I can do to assist you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and thank you so much for your understanding!