“Lackluster service, convenient location”

The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #277 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, MA
“Lackluster service, convenient location”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stayed there for one night while in town for a family event.
Pros - Convenient location, the room was clean, relatively quick check in and moderately priced for location
Cons - The room was the smallest NYC hotel room I have ever been in - Ok for one night as long as you are not spending any waking time there. Good luck finding someone to valet the car, get a cab or retrieve the car. When we first arrived one of us had to go into the hotel and try to hunt someone down. When we went to retrieve the car at 8AM on a Saturday AM they said it would at least 30 minutes and there was no one waiting in front of us. Tried to get a cab at 7PM on a Friday but no one was working in front of the hotel. Overall the doormen are pretty useless.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you trying the newly renovated Lexington while you were in town for a family event, as well as for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased you enjoyed our convenient location, clean room and smooth check in. It is true that our starting price point is quite moderate for NYC in our petite cozy room. Those rooms are intended for budget conscious guests looking for a great location, newly renovated hotel, with the benefit of Marriott Rewards points, albeit in a petite room. We do have larger room options for various budgets, all detailed on our website.
We plan to use your experiences in valet parking your car to coach and train our staff so that future guests do not experience the delays you did. We truly aspire to greatness and are open to feedback such as yours to help us achieve it.
We hope you will give us another chance. Feel free to email me directly if you plan to NYC in the near future at jmarinogm@lexingtonnyc.com
Jim Marino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 18, 2013

In comparison to other similarly priced accomodations, we agreed we would return to the Lexington for its many postives! The front desk staff were all smiles and extremely helpful. The doormen incredibly professional and ensured we never waited long for a cab. Our bedding (with 4 wonderful pillows) was very comfortable, and the room had a nice LG TV with many channels. The lobby is large with lots of seating. We were glad they kept the art deco elevator doors - Beautiful. And no small feat in NYC, but these elevators are fast! We loved the attached but independent Starbucks (that enabled us to grab a tasty coffee without having to go outdoors in the wind/rain). And the location is great for central Manhattan. Yes, our room had some issues (tub drain and thermostat did not work properly), experiences we have had elsewhere, but here were quickly addressed by polite staff. The "lively" modernized decor was not to our particular liking (too busy). And, as can be expected from all older hotels in the city, our room was not large and bathroom had little shelf space. This newest addition to "Marriott row" in NYC (there is the Residence Inn, East Side and Courtyard all very nearby) is a good consideration depending on what you want from a hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to advise us on the issues with your tub drain and thermostat. Our engineering department has addressed the situation so that future guests do not experience the same issues.
We are pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope to welcome you back to the newly renovated Lexington NYC very soon.
Our Best,
Sines, Portugal
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Keep in mind that it´s a 3 stars hotel! That being said it's a very good HQ to explore NY.

The location it´s great, right in the hearth of Mid Town, within walking distance from Grand Central Station, Times Square, Bryant Park ice skating ring, New York Public Library and the stores at 5th Ave.

Also around the hotel, you will find restaurants and bars.

The rooms are big, clean and with very interesting city view windows

On down side, there was no free wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. In the check-out day they charge you 2 dollars per bag if you want them to hold it for you.

Room Tip: The higher you are...the better the view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of NYC's newest Autograph Collection Hotel; The Lexington. We should advise that our WiFi usage is complimentary for hotel guests; both in your room and in the lobby. If we can research an erroneous charge to your bill please email me at jmarinogm@lexingtonnyc.com with your folio showing a WIFI charge.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.
Regards,
Reviewed November 16, 2013

okay, I stayed at The Lexington in Midtown last week for a few nights as I was in New York for work. The hotel was very close to one of my clients but also in a great area. Plenty of bars, restaurants, shopping all within an easy safe walk. The staff from the front desk girls to the security guys in the lobby were all friendly and nice. The Starbucks in the hotel was ideal but crowded because everyone walking down Lexington during work hours grabbed their coffee here. The room was nice and clean but somewhat small, not complaining but if you can upgrade to a slightly larger room you may be happier. The heat works too good but is easily controlled. The outside bell hop is fast to hail you a cab or direct you shopping, bars, eats whatever, so just take care of him. My room bill had a charge on it which was not related to me and the front desk staff promptly removed it without question. Great service without issue. I will stay here when ever I return.

Room Tip: look for a larger room unless you don't mind the smaller rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony K
We are quite pleased that you not only enjoyed so many aspects of your stay at The Lexington, but that you took the time to review us. Our staff from front desk to security pride ourselves on our friendly manners; thank you for noticing. Yes we do offer various size rooms for various budgets; next time try a larger room, our favorite is the King or Junior Suite option.
We hope to welcome you back very soon. It sounds like our location is ideal for your needs.
-Jim Marino, GM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

The first think that you notice about this hotel is that there is very little reference to the Marriott brand. That should service as a warning. But hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

We arrived early one morning and were pretty sure that we wouldn't get our room early. We were right. So we put out two suitcases with the bellboy who charged us $2 each. Pretty rubbish and I look forward to hearing Jim Marino address why he thinks this is acceptable when customers pay serious money to stay there.

Check in OK. Guy friendly enough. Concierge most unfriendly - asked the guy a question and he really couldn't be bothered helping or even pretending to be helpful!

Came back at around 3pm and room was available. Free upgrade (Gold Elite) got us a queen room. Nicely furnished but still quite small. The place has clearly been done up on a shoestring and the details show this. Take a look at the radiator paintwork behind the covers!

But we weren't in NYC to stay in a room 24/7.

Went to Raffles for our (free) breakfast. Pretty crumby place and not anything like the lounge service that your membership would get you at most other 'real' Marriott properties. Shame on you Marriott.

Bar servers - again - couldn't really be bothered helping and clearly didn't want to be there.

In conclusion, read the reviews and make your decision, Personally I'd stay somewhere else next time I'm in NYC. I won't be surprised to hear that Marriott have offloaded this property within months.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZippyLondon
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are delighted to be part of the Autograph Collection, which celebrates our uniqueness and superb service culture.

Having said that, I was disappointed to read that your stay was subpar and didn't meet our or your usual high standards, and for that I apologize. Know that I've shared your observations with the food and beverage team and with our front service team so that we may constantly improve.

We are very grateful for your bringing this to our attention, and know that upon your return you will receive the level of service that you have to come to expect, and for which the Lexington and Marriott are known.

Thanks again.
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was there for a meeting in October. Autograph Collection Hotels are always my first choice, and this was no exception. My company had compared Marriott locations and after being assured of some facts before finalizing hotel arrangements, set up reservations for about 14 of us for 4 nights. My first impression upon arriving was the courteousness of the desk clerks. Patient and attentive to my needs as a member of Marriott Rewards. The room was nice enough and I love the history of the Lexington NYC as well as the location which is near everything! So why the rating of 3? The meeting room was tiny! and the food for the meeting was sup par! The coffee wasn't good and overall, I believe the hotel needs to attend to the catering services if this is to be a selling point. Right now, it is not. Okay...most upsetting. The sales manager provided wrong information to our company meeting planner who stated that she wanted to be assured that all attendees would get applicable room nights and point credits. Well Guess What? Not true! Because while the Sales Manager received all account numbers, the stay was set up as a master bill which assured that we would not be rewarded. When asked about this following the meeting, the response was that the sales manager made a mistake and Marriott is unwilling to adjust their mistake costing us points and nights on Gold Elite Rewards. I recommended this hotel to my sister who will be arriving tomorrow and hope that she has a better service experience then I did. Overall..... this will be a great hotel once kinks are worked out and customer service and quality of food, etc. are priorities.

Room Tip: Ask for larger room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank barbara5650
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
We thank you for taking the time to draft a review of our newly renovated hotel. We are so proud to be the newest Autograph Collection Hotel in NYC.
We will certainly take your food and beverage feedback into account. We have actually made significant improvements in just this past week to our catering program. We are always looking to improve our banquet options and catering service training is ongoing.
Regarding the points, we truly apologize for any misinformation given to you on the rules of this program from our property level staff. We will be sure to re-train our staff on the details of this great program.
We do hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.
Yours in Hospitality,
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 14, 2013

During the first night of my stay, we found a recently used dirty condom by the desk. Disgusting. Upon contacting the Front Desk Manager, I was advised it was "too difficult" for them to move me as the hotel was full? They could move me the next day. I advised I was not comfortable to stay in a room that clearly had not been cleaned. Apparently this was not of their concern.

In the morning while getting ready, I dropped my lotion bottle on the floor. When I bent over to pick it up I discovered a large area of dried urine on the floor by the toilet. Again, completely disgusting. How housekeeping failed to see this, I am not sure. It is clear they didn't clean the bathroom floor at all between guests.

I stopped downstairs to speak again to another Front Desk Manager. She offered to move rooms early afternoon & asked me what they could do - I should be the one telling them what to do as what was found in my room was completely unacceptable.

After moving rooms, I received a note under the door hoping this had may my stay enjoyable? Along with the note, there was a chocolate graham cracker and 2 vouchers for breakfast. As a Gold Elite, I had already received the free vouchers that I am entitled to as part of my status...I am not sure how providing me with something I already had received was going to resolve the issues I had been encountering?

I have contacted the hotel 3 times... I was offered a small amount of points to my Rewards account for the "housekeeping" issues I experienced. I am not sure how having to stay in a room with dirty condoms and dried urine is just a housekeeping issue...it is a health and sanitary issue. Upon trying to recontact to say this was not acceptable, no one from the Lexington seems to care enough about customer service & repeated Marriott customers to take the time to return my messages.

Not at all the treatment I would expect after being a Marriott Gold Elite member year after year...

Terrible service

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank DarcieBColumbus
Gul T, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback. I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered, and would be happy to personally discuss this further with you. I can be reached at gturkmenoglu@lexingtonnyc.com