I always get a good chuckle out of Hotel reviews on Trip Advisor and some of the negative reviews about the Lexington certainly did not disappoint! Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion but my oh my it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly picky some people are: "The cabinet was cheaply made and the drawers did not line up precisely." "I heard outside noise." "I was approached on the ramp of the hotel by a street person" And on and on and on.
So, how was our experience?
My wife and I were in town to cheer on friends in the NYC Marathon. I had a room booked at the LaQuinta in Queens where we stay often to reduce hotel costs (it's obvious I'm not too picky), but I kept looking for Manhattan properties and on Thursday I found an excellent rate at the Lexington. We have stayed up the street at the Doubletree before but not the Lexington.
We arrived at the hotel about 10:00am Saturday morning and were greeted with a smile and a warm welcome at the front desk. Our room would not be ready until 1:00pm as I would expect, so we stowed our bags and paid the $2.00 for each. This may be a bit unusual, but certainly NOT a deal breaker.
After visiting the Marathon Expo and generally having fun in the city for the day we returned back to the hotel about 6:00pm, were quickly given our bags and checked in quickly and efficiently. Thank you to the front desk employees for having everything ready to go.
I had requested a higher floor room as I always do in NYC because it should not be a surprise to anyone that NYC IS NOISY! I’m not sure I have ever been in a hotel on a lower floor where I could not hear street noise. My wife and I took the elevator up to 1006, (plenty of elevators and always very fast-if you stay in NYC very much you know this is not always the case) opened the door and entered our room which was EXACTLY as advertised on the website. It was well decorated and well-appointed and certainly ample size for 2 adults. If you would like to see small rooms try the Boutique Hotel The Belnord on the Upper West Side.
We unpacked, and were able to hang our clothes in the nice sized closet and were even surprised to see soft sided hangers- a nice touch!
We used the chest of drawers under the very nice flat screen TV and had plenty of room for the both of us.
I adjusted the temperature in the room and immediately got it to our liking. The bathroom was exactly what I expected with regards to size but what was a nice surprise was the water pressure and the height of the shower head. Well done here Hotel Lexington!
We dried off with nice thick towels, dressed and made our way downstairs for a quick drink before meeting friends for dinner at 8:00. At this point we had spent a total of 1.5 hours in our room!
The downstairs bar is cozy and comfortable and a great place to grab a leisurely drink before heading out. Upon our return that evening we stopped in again for a night cap and were greeted by the same friendly bartender.
When we entered our room that night the temperature was perfect, but because my wife is always cold the extra blanket in the bottom drawer of the dresser was a perfect addition.
We crawled into the very comfortable bed and fell asleep to nothing but quiet- No street noise, no noise from adjacent rooms, no ice machine noise and no slamming doors.
We arose early and were out the door. It's true that there is no coffee maker in the room which again for us is NOT a deal breaker. There is a Starbucks downstairs, but for me it's a large cart coffee for $1.50 all the way when in NYC.
Sunday was the marathon so we didn't return to our room until nearly 5:00PM. We relaxed a bit, used the toilet which FLUSHED AUTOMATICALLY AND AT APPROPRIATE TIMES! It was a slick system: with the lid up the toilet does not flush; with the lid down it flushes about 3 seconds after. I'm not sure what issues others had with this but in 1006 it worked as advertised.
We were again out the door by 6:30pm and did not return until after midnight to again crawl into the very comfy bed.
The hotel bill was under the door in the morning with the exact charges, and we ended our two nights in the VERY comfortable, VERY convenient and VERY friendly Lexington Hotel.
We only spent about 4 non-sleeping hours Saturday, Sunday and Monday in the hotel. When in NYC I'm not sure what people would be doing hanging out in their hotel room worrying about a TV guide and a mini-bar anyway. That's not what I come to NYC for, so not only did the Lexington meet my expectations, it exceeded them.
If you are a picky person who spends time in your hotel and looks for glitches to complain about then perhaps you should look elsewhere, but if you are looking for a great Midtown location at a clean, friendly and well-appointed hotel that offers a great value then I'd say the Lexington would be a great choice.
I'm so glad I had the opportunity to experience the hotel and I look forward to coming back to this establishment.
A thank you to all from the front desk personnel to the bartender who made our stay at the Lexington comfortable and enjoyable. Keep up the great work!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Midtown's fashionable East Side, The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection debuted as part of the Marriott Autograph Collection hotel in summer 2013 after an extensive $46 million dollar transformation project. Our Midtown Manhattan hotel's full-service accommodations sit in a 28-story building offering 725 guestrooms and suites, with some featuring two baths or balconies. The Lexington Hotel New York City, Autograph Collection is steps from the United Nations, Grand Central Terminal and Park Avenue, and is walking distance to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, Bloomingdales, Madison Avenue, Fifth Avenue shopping, Broadway theaters/Times Square, and many museums. The revitalized hotel has been completely transformed and is a great choice for business and leisure visitors looking for an upscale, iconic New York City hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New York Radisson Hotel
- Radisson Lexington Hotel New York
- Radisson New York City
- New York City Radisson
- Radisson Lexington New York