“Excellent Stay!”

The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #278 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I always get a good chuckle out of Hotel reviews on Trip Advisor and some of the negative reviews about the Lexington certainly did not disappoint! Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion but my oh my it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly picky some people are: "The cabinet was cheaply made and the drawers did not line up precisely." "I heard outside noise." "I was approached on the ramp of the hotel by a street person" And on and on and on.

So, how was our experience?

Outstanding!

My wife and I were in town to cheer on friends in the NYC Marathon. I had a room booked at the LaQuinta in Queens where we stay often to reduce hotel costs (it's obvious I'm not too picky), but I kept looking for Manhattan properties and on Thursday I found an excellent rate at the Lexington. We have stayed up the street at the Doubletree before but not the Lexington.

We arrived at the hotel about 10:00am Saturday morning and were greeted with a smile and a warm welcome at the front desk. Our room would not be ready until 1:00pm as I would expect, so we stowed our bags and paid the $2.00 for each. This may be a bit unusual, but certainly NOT a deal breaker.

After visiting the Marathon Expo and generally having fun in the city for the day we returned back to the hotel about 6:00pm, were quickly given our bags and checked in quickly and efficiently. Thank you to the front desk employees for having everything ready to go.

I had requested a higher floor room as I always do in NYC because it should not be a surprise to anyone that NYC IS NOISY! I’m not sure I have ever been in a hotel on a lower floor where I could not hear street noise. My wife and I took the elevator up to 1006, (plenty of elevators and always very fast-if you stay in NYC very much you know this is not always the case) opened the door and entered our room which was EXACTLY as advertised on the website. It was well decorated and well-appointed and certainly ample size for 2 adults. If you would like to see small rooms try the Boutique Hotel The Belnord on the Upper West Side.

We unpacked, and were able to hang our clothes in the nice sized closet and were even surprised to see soft sided hangers- a nice touch!

We used the chest of drawers under the very nice flat screen TV and had plenty of room for the both of us.

I adjusted the temperature in the room and immediately got it to our liking. The bathroom was exactly what I expected with regards to size but what was a nice surprise was the water pressure and the height of the shower head. Well done here Hotel Lexington!

We dried off with nice thick towels, dressed and made our way downstairs for a quick drink before meeting friends for dinner at 8:00. At this point we had spent a total of 1.5 hours in our room!

The downstairs bar is cozy and comfortable and a great place to grab a leisurely drink before heading out. Upon our return that evening we stopped in again for a night cap and were greeted by the same friendly bartender.

When we entered our room that night the temperature was perfect, but because my wife is always cold the extra blanket in the bottom drawer of the dresser was a perfect addition.

We crawled into the very comfortable bed and fell asleep to nothing but quiet- No street noise, no noise from adjacent rooms, no ice machine noise and no slamming doors.

We arose early and were out the door. It's true that there is no coffee maker in the room which again for us is NOT a deal breaker. There is a Starbucks downstairs, but for me it's a large cart coffee for $1.50 all the way when in NYC.

Sunday was the marathon so we didn't return to our room until nearly 5:00PM. We relaxed a bit, used the toilet which FLUSHED AUTOMATICALLY AND AT APPROPRIATE TIMES! It was a slick system: with the lid up the toilet does not flush; with the lid down it flushes about 3 seconds after. I'm not sure what issues others had with this but in 1006 it worked as advertised.

We were again out the door by 6:30pm and did not return until after midnight to again crawl into the very comfy bed.

The hotel bill was under the door in the morning with the exact charges, and we ended our two nights in the VERY comfortable, VERY convenient and VERY friendly Lexington Hotel.

We only spent about 4 non-sleeping hours Saturday, Sunday and Monday in the hotel. When in NYC I'm not sure what people would be doing hanging out in their hotel room worrying about a TV guide and a mini-bar anyway. That's not what I come to NYC for, so not only did the Lexington meet my expectations, it exceeded them.

If you are a picky person who spends time in your hotel and looks for glitches to complain about then perhaps you should look elsewhere, but if you are looking for a great Midtown location at a clean, friendly and well-appointed hotel that offers a great value then I'd say the Lexington would be a great choice.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to experience the hotel and I look forward to coming back to this establishment.

A thank you to all from the front desk personnel to the bartender who made our stay at the Lexington comfortable and enjoyable. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank tlaird
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your kind words. I am truly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and congratulations to your Marathon Runner! I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Jim Marino

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel has a lot to be desired. We arrived and the room wasn't ready so we decided to leave our bags and explore the city. We were shocked when we were told that they would charge $2 per bag but I understand that the concierge isn't run by the hotel.
The heating didn't work on one of the nights we were there. We were woken up by a loud drilling noise so be aware that construction is still going on. No guest directory, coffee machine or Room Service.
On a positive note, the location was excellent and the bed was really soft with top luxury sheets.
Research well before booking to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Laura M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. Please know that we are currently working on the problems that you identified at our hotel, and I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss further. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Sincerely, Jim Marino

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The location is fabulous! The hotel is... Not. We have a King room for two adults, and it is beyond tiny. I hate to see what a "comfy" room would be. There is no place to sit except the bed. The toilet has an auto flush thing that doesn't work, and the push button to manually flush works about half the time. The cold water side of the faucet just dribbles, no water flow whatsoever. We're just down from the ice machine which is so loud that we wake up every time someone comes for ice (which they do at all hours).
But on the plus side, let me say that the bed is very comfortable and the AC is efficient and not excessively loud. The shower is also very good.
That said, we will not stay here again, nor will we recommend it.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovelabsX2

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. Please know that we are currently working on the problems that you identified at our hotel, and I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss further as well as identifying the room you stayed in so that we may immediately correct. I hope to welcome you back in the future and get a second chance to make a first impression. Sincerely, Jim Marino

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed for 8 nights in a junior suite with my mother. The room I booked online was supposed to have a separate living area with a sofa be according to the description of the junior suite on the Marriott site, however in the room I had the sofa bed was in the same room as the main bed. That said, this didn't bother me as the room also included a kitchenette with a pantry, microwave, fridge (an actual fridge, not a mini-fridge) and Keurig coffee/teamaker, so ask in advance if the junior suite you are booking has that. Again, the room description on the Marriott site didn't provide that information, so if you want a "separate" living area, better confirm and make sure your room has that. For me it was a non-issue, because a kitchenette was actually far more valuable given the length of our stay. But do make sure that the room they are giving you is actually what you booked online.

The lobby is for sure the highlight the hotel; it is large and has some great design touches with comfortable chairs and sofas as well as bookshelves with a really nice selection of books. Great place to lounge in.

Back to the room itself, it was clean aside from a couple of stains on the carpet. Housekeeping did a great job with cleaning of the room and making up the beds daily as well as replenishing the complimentary toiletries provided in the bathroom / changing towels / adding more recyclable paper cups for tea in the kitchenette. The design touches were also evident in the room in the wallpaper and furniture, so it felt quite chic. The bed was comfortable (I didn't sleep on it, but my mother says it was), and the sofa bed was absolutely fine as well. I know others have pointed out the room is small, and this is the case for the cozy and the petite room for sure I would say.... The size of the junior suite was comfy for 2, maybe 3 people max(couple with a child)...

The bathroom, again small, but very nicely designed and absolutely no issue there for me... if you want to bring *a ton* of toiletries, it might be for you, but it's functional and does the job. A note on the toilet - yes, it flushed automatically if you close the lid and sounds like a volcano while doing so. A bit annoying if you need to go to the bathroom at night, but mostly a non-issue otherwise.

A couple of issues with the room - when we arrived it was quite cold at first. That said, unlike other reviewers, i had no problem cranking up the temperature on the thermostat and the room was warm in no time. The other thing that was somewhat annoying was the refrigerator in the kitchenette would occasionally make a loud noise. I'm not sure what exactly was the reason for that, but it was annoying and could be potentially disruptive if you are sensitive to those things. Street noise (wailing sirens) could definitely be heard from the outside, and sometimes people flushing the aforementioned volcano-like toilet could be heard in the next room. Keep in mind if you are a light sleeper. I was normally very tired at the end of the day and had no issue falling asleep.

Service wise - everything was good as far as I'm concerned. When we asked for blankets, they arrived soon thereafter after I called. There was also a minor issue with the bathroom plug that was resolved right away - again right after I called. When I had trouble printing something out in the business center because of issues with access to Gmail on the computer(still not sure what that was about), the manager on duty offered me to email her the document and printed it out in the lobby.

The hotel location is fantastic - right in the heart of midtown on Lexington avenue, a short walk to Grand Central, Rockefeller center, times square and the subway.

I have to mention that I got a steal of a deal on this hotel - I originally booked a Queen Room for $75 and upgraded to the junior suite for an additional $80 per night. So at that rate I wasn't expecting much of anything, given that you can't even find a 2 star hotel at this rate in November. I was pleasantly surprised with my stay though. I loved the design touches in the hotel, the kitchenette in the suite and the location. Would not hesitate to book again provided I got a good rate despite the minor issues experienced. Make sure you know their petite, cozy and even standard rooms are small before booking the room for more than 1 person.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ivan T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your kind words, and your feedback. I am truly happy that you enjoyed and your mother your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Jim Marino

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We enjoyed very much staying at the hotel for 6 nigts, week of October 21-27, 2013. Great location. The hotel was sleek and modern, but still warm and friendly. The room was very clean. The hotel staff were professional and helpful, especially Miss Irena Borukhov, manager on duty, which provided immediate and full attention to our requests. Very helpful, very professional. Definitely we will stay in the hotel on our next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your valuable feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and the warm welcome from our team including Irina. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Jim Marino

Reviewed November 1, 2013

So, maybe I am a little off kilter, but when I walk into an amazing hotel I expect to have amazing staff. Noone was really friendly, OTHER than the cleaning ladies I passed in the hall on the 26th floor on 11/1/13 - she was so chatty and welcoming. Yay.

I would stay there again, the location was great.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your valuable feedback. While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom, I am truly sorry that you did not experience the warm welcome that we typically provide. My team and I will work diligently on ensuring that this is addressed, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Jim Marino

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I really liked it. The decor was weird...very boutique-ish but I'm sure that was the plan. My room was pretty small but nicely appointed. Basically what you'd expect from NYC. I found the front desk staff to be professional but cold...not terribly welcoming. They weren't rude but didn't seem all that happy to see me either. I'm sure I'd go back for business again, for pleasure who knows. There are lots of other places to see in NYC and although this place was good, I wouldn't put it near the top of my list of Marriotts.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Doug E
Jim M, General Manager at The Lexington New York City, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your valuable feedback. While I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, I am sorry that we did not provide the warm welcome that we aim for. My team and I will work diligently on ensuring that this is improved, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Jim Marino