“Very nice stay”

Ranked #61 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Long Island, NY
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2014 via mobile

I was meeting friends from England in NYC and was looking for a hotel in the Times Square area. Chose The Sanctuary after much research. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I arrived at the hotel at 11 am knowing that my room would not be ready but figured would meet up with my friends and leave the luggage with the staff. My room was ready before noon and was able to check in before my friends arrived. Had lunch at Haven rooftop. Food was good but service was a bit off. 4 of us at the table and the kept only serving 3 of us at each course. Rooms were small but expected. Beds were very comfy. Very happy with the breakfast that was offered. Many hotels I looked at did not include breakfast. When I checked out after just 1 nights stay, the staff at reception called my by name. I was impressed.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
We are happy to know that you all enjoyed your time with us.

I'm sorry if our restaurant fell a little short with service. However, feedback is always good because we use it as a tool to continuously improve upon the services that we provide.

We hope to see you back with us in the near future.

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (768)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

My husband and two daughters ( one of which was celebrating her 30 th birthday) spent 5 days and 4 nights staying at The Sanctuary. It was a great hotel with excellent members of staff who always made you feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble. The front door staff where very attentive and were very happy in 'helping out ' with the ice bucket for both girls carried out with permission from the Manager at the front of the hotel. !! Whenever we wanted any tips , information on good places to eat and how to get there , we could always rely on the staff member on the front desk( sorry can't remember his name ) . Location was great and breakfast very good . Staff were always replenishing the food. it was nice to have free tea and coffee available at the reception area. Agree that the rooms are not very big but the large shower makes up for this and the room is kept very clean which for me is top of my priorities.Definately recommend this hotel to others and will return one day hopefully in the not too distant future.
Thanks for a lovely stay

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
We are delighted to hear that we were able to create such a great experience for you. Our goal is to always provide our guests with a unique and memorable visit.

Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please think of us. We would love to have you back.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

Had a great stay at Sanctuary. Very European in style with a delightful breakfast, included in the price. Amazing location off Times Square, but quiet and no street noise. The rooftop bar can be a bit noisy on weekends so recommend a middle floor. Great and friendly staff, would stay there again.

Room Tip: Showers are sometimes in the room, make sure you ask for one in the bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time here at the Sanctuary Hotel.

We hope that you will be back for another great visit.

Franklin Square, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2014

Stayed here the night of our first anniversary before going away. Very nice hotel - great location and friendly staff. The room was very small but had all the amenities needed. The concierage was so helpful with everything to make our first anniversary special. Great location - quick walk from Times Square. Rooftop restaurant has great views and yummy food!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2014

This was our first time at this hotel (and the last). It's not that it was a terrible experience. It's just that the hotel gives off a different vibe that what we were looking for. I’ll explain, but first I want to get to the positives.

Check-in was a breeze and the front desk staff, along with all the other employees, were extremely friendly. We arrived early and the hotel stored our luggage while we went to the MoMA. The clerk promised to text us when the room was ready (and we are still waiting for that text). We were told we were upgraded from a superior queen to a delux queen. We were excited until we saw the room - quite small with the shower essentially sitting in the middle of the room. Size was not an issue as every place we've ever stayed in NYC has been on the small side, so we were fine with the room size and layout. I am simply curious how much smaller our original room would have been :) The bed was comfortable and the room was both clean and (for the most part) quiet. The location, right off of Times Square, is hard to beat, especially for theatre goers like us. And the continental breakfast was adequate, though I would have liked some fresh fruit. So what more could we ask for? Well . . .

There are a few details in the room I would call attention to. It may be that it’s time for the hotel to re-fresh itself. There were nips and rubs here and there, along with a handful of deep gouges in the wallpaper. The toiletries were on the small side, with bars of soap the size you might get at a Motel 6.

If this was where I'd stop, then I probably give the hotel 4 stars. So what drags it down by two whole stars? As afternoons turned into evenings, the hotel seemed to morph from a place to stay into a place to party. Twenty-somethings streamed into the lobby and queued for the elevator dedicated to whisking them up to the rooftop bar. Staff suddenly seemed less focused on their overnight guests and more interested in the selfie-sanpping crowd eager to pay top dollar for mediocre drinks. We went to the rooftop bar and were not impressed, but that may be largely due tp the fact that we are older. Other places we've stayed such as the Strand Hotel and the Eventi also have rooftop bars, but they cater to folks more our age than to the hip-hop crowd of the Sanctuary. The space was over-crowded, the view not good (it's hemmed in by neighboring buildings) and the music BLARED. We were glad when we returned to our room two floors down that we only heard a subtle "boom boom." If you are assigned to a room on the 9th floor directly below the club, don't take it.

So there's our experience. I think the Sanctuary might actually be a pretty good choice for younger folks. For older couples like ourselves, not so much.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HouTraveler
Jamaica, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014

I have rarely written a poor review but as I sit here at the hotel I found it important I write about my experience as it is happening. We are in room 410, which appears to be separate from the main hotel as it has its own elevator.

I will start with the positives. The rooftop is hands down amazing. The views and food are worth the visit. Be sure to take a tour around the place as it does have multiple spaces to enjoy. Most of the staff we came into contact with were extremely friendly, so you will certainly be treated well. The shower in the room is well spaced and the temperature of the water is quite hot. The room feels private. And television is a nice size.

Now for the negatives. In the middle of the night the air conditioner seemed to turn off, so the room spiked to 81. When I called the front desk was apologetic and sent someone up to fix it, which they did but still it woke me out of my sleep – sweating. On Sunday it seems there is no way to get food/room service before 4pm when the rooftop opens. WHAT! We called downstairs and they told us that we could use grubhub/seamless to order food. Room service is essential for a hotel (not even breakfast options?!) and this is a big negative. The room is quite small as well, but clearly they have used the space as best as possible. There are no robes or slippers that we could find and the room really needs a full length mirror.

Overall, the problem I have with the hotel is that, at this price point I have stayed at other hotels in New York and we get much more basics. Air conditioning that is consistent and food options all day!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charles N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

Had an amazing stay at the Sanctuary.
From the moment I booked to the moment I arrived Brandon the concierge was amazing, nothing was too much trouble and he helped me arrange a few surprises for my partners 40th birthday. My partner proposed while we where here and Jimmy recommended an amazing jewellers where we picked an amazing ring.
The rooftop bar is a must on the warm evenings before heading out into the city.
The room was very comfortable and the shower was amazing.
Would definatly stay again if we come back to NYC.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank DanielleF1982
Congratulations on your engagement! We are so happy for you and thank you for letting our team be apart of such a special occasion.

We hope to see you and your partner back with us for another special visit some time soon.