“Incredible Honeymoon”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #70 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

The Sanctuary Hotel was the perfect choice for the start of our honeymoon. As soon as we arrived, we were greeted at our taxi, and our cases were taken to our deluxe room.

Every member of staff: reception, door men & lift attendants were friendly and attentive and genuinely took an interest in what we had been doing or were planning to do.

We were also given a bottle of Cava as a gift to celebrate our honeymoon, and the staff arranged for us to enjoy this in the rooftop bar "The Haven" during our first night. Absolutely brilliant.

The room was the perfect size and the bed was extreme comfy, and the A/C kept the room cool during a particularly warm four days!

Breakfast was also great and brilliant for the price!

We will definitely return to the Sanctuary when we visit NYC. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Thank you for making out honeymoon so incredible!

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Char_L_Kyle_M
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2014

We are all delighted to know that you enjoyed your honeymoon experience with us at The Sanctuary Hotel.

We would love to see you back again for another memorable visit.

There are newer reviews for Sanctuary Hotel New York

Reviewed August 29, 2014

We were looking for a long time when it came to booking our New York hotel, Im so glad that we ended up choosing this one. From the moment we arrived the customer service was out standing. It was a great check in and were made to feel more than welcome. The rooms are very well laid out for the room available, There is plenty of room for everything you need. Outside our window, room 703 we could see a glimpse of Times Square. But funnily enough, in the hotel it felt miles away, there not no noise or the volume of people that are only 200 yards away. The location is excellent with all public transport to go anywhere in NY only a few minutes walk away. And not including the free breakfast that opens till 11 on weekends which is a nice touch and free wi-fi. I Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough !!!

Room Tip: Room 703 was great.
2  Thank adamntina
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2014

Thank you for providing us with such great feedback. The staff will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

We would love to see you back for another great visit.

Reviewed August 29, 2014

Great customer service and a friendly welcome. Good continental breakfast included in price and open until 1030 so no having to get up early. Small but well decorated and clean rooms (thank you cleaners) with great shower incorporated into the room which made good use of the space. We only ate once in the upstairs restaurant but it was good food. We had drinks upstairs, very expensive, but good atmosphere and friendly waiters/waitresses. It was sometimes very busy with external events. I think this is age but the hotel was very dark everywhere except the bedroom. Don't mess with Julio who was great!! We would stay again.

Room Tip: We had 7th floor rooms at the back of the hotel and no problem with noise from the bar or street alt...
1  Thank Jill W
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2014

Thank you for your review.

Julio will be happy to read about your comments. Should your travels bring you back to NYC, please think of us.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

not every stay is perfect, and this one was no different....I want to emphasize the positives more however there were a few too many small, negatives to point out.

PROS: Staff is very friendly and polite. Decor is very contemporary, high-quality and chic which I like very much. I love the in-room shower which was spacious. The bed was very soft and comfy as well (and I usually like firm!). You cannot beat the location, even if you don't wish to be in Times Square as you can get to pretty much any destination in NYC within 30-40 minutes via subway and for most popular locations within 15 minutes. Free breakfast is simple, but it is a nice touch, as many hotels in the area do not offer anything like it at all.

CONS: rooms were small but fine for 2 people with limited luggage. Don't plan on staying in your rooms much. Waterfall shower is not for me but my wife liked it. We were often told different elevators were for rooftop guests and it alternated so it became confusing which elevator we should be using. Room temps are controlled by access card which can be left in a slot within the room. We purposely left the card in the room so it wouldn't be sweltering hot when we returned. When we returned to the room, we found the card removed from the slot and our room at a balmy 86 degrees. I understand the need to control energy consumption, especially in NYC, but we had the temp posted for 75 degrees which I don't find unreasonable. So when we replaced the card to turn the AC back on, it didn't work. We called and it was fixed quickly. Because the room is small it didnt take too long to cool down, but we didn't fall asleep as quickly as we would have otherwise. We stayed on 8th floor (room 807), on the end of the building which meant late at night we got to hear the constant club thumping rooftop music. I didn't bother us too much because we generally were in bed after 2 am but it was nonetheless a nuisance. Speaking of the rooftop bar, we were not impressed. First off we waited at our bar table for 10 minutes to get a drink. Finally I decided to go to the bar and get drinks since it didn't appear there was waitstaff serving the bar tables. Once to the bar, the bartender kind of sneered at my non-top shelf selection of captain and coke. well two of those cost $40.00! So back to my table I go and then out of nowhere I was greeted by a waitress who scolded me for going to the bar to get a drink and not wait for her. We quickly finished our drinks and couldn't get out of that stuffy, stuck-up environment quick enough! To each their own with the rooftop bar, it just wasn't our thing. O'Briens Irish pub down the block ended up being a great end of the night retreat before heading to bed. Lastly though, we were left with a bad impression that was in the end not a big deal, but ended up leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Upon check-in, we were asked if it was a special occasion and when replied that it was our honeymoon, we were informed that the hotel would do something special for us. We weren't expecting anything at all, but to offer it, we thought, was a nice touch. Problem is that nothing ever happened. Hard to complain about something you never expected to get in the first place but when they offer a special treatment and it doesn't come to fruition, it's very disappointing.

Overall i'd like to give the hotel a great review, because in the end, I've had awful stays and this was far from one of those. However, there were a few too many minor touches that were lacking and for a hotel that is touting itself as an upscale boutique, I thought our experience was lacking the touches that we were expecting. I'd maybe give them another shot sometime, but I'll definitely shop around before I'd do so in the future.

Room Tip: if you go to bed before 2 am, choose a mid level room if possible, avoid room 807 as its right next...
1  Thank Mike W
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I travel allo over the World with work and I normally stay in one of the bigger hotel chains that are all over the World to get an average stanard wherever I am. Stumbled upon The Sanctuary on Trip Advisor when I was looking where the bigger chain hotels were, and I'm glad I did.

The hotel is not big, but clean, well presented and the staff are the best I have encountered anywhere in the World. It was a pleasure to return to the hotel after working, or after a walk, you were always greated with a warm smile like a friend would give you. The staff could not enough for you, from the door staff, to the check in staff, to the bar staff, all were fantastic.

The location is good, the street it is on is quite and within 50m you are in the heart of Time Square.

The roof top bar / restuarant was good, and gets very busy, seems everyone wants to be there.
The rooms were good, a little strange having a shower and a toilet in the corner of the room my bed was in, but it was enough.

I would go back here, and wish I all hotels had staff like this.

Room Tip: The suites give a view over the street
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such great feedback.

It's comments like yours that motivate our staff to continuously improve upon the services that we provide. There is nothing better than knowing that a guest thoroughly enjoyed their time with us.

We hope to welcome you back to your new home away from home very soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a long weekend in New York. Sanctuary was the perfect hotel. It 's
location was terrific. The staff was friendly, outgoing and went out of their way to help us with
anything we may need. The rooms were adorable with chandeliers over our beds. The rooftop
bar was terrific with mimosas in the morning or cocktails in the evening. We met so many nice
peoplle on the rooftop. Alot of locals came for drinks and now we have alot of new friends to visit in the city. lol Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!!!

Room Tip: rooms on 9th floor convenient to rooftop lounge but very noisy in morning because of door to upstair...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

I'm happy to know that you and your girlfriend had such an enjoyable weekend with us.

We would love to have you back again for another great stay.

Reviewed August 28, 2014

What a wonderful and fun hideaway 1/2 a block from Times Square! Our non-hipster family stayed for a week at the beginning of summer and were always greeted at the door with a big smile and a helpful hand. Within easy walking distance of our broadway shows, MOMA, great restaurants (including the one in the hotel), Rockafeller Center, shopping, and the subway stations. Enjoyed the clean and beautiful bathroom with Groehe fixtures and the luxurious bed at the end our our busy days. The staff always looked impeccable yet always made us feel at home. A funky treasure of a find!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us at The Sanctuary Hotel.

We would love to see you back with us in the near future.