“Excellent value for money”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #69 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 10, 2014

300$ a night in manhattan don't get you very far in nice places. This is one of the few - we stayed for a week and were totally satisfied. Excellent location v close to broadway. Rooms are small but it's NYC. They have everything they need including a nice shower and a desk. No coffee machine tho. Excellent free wireless and breakfast (given that's free - cereals, eggs, fruit etc).

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are quite noisy, we asked to be moved to the back - absolutely fine.
1  Thank Granduelle
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you for providing us with such wonderful feedback.

We try to always provide the best value by offering amenities that other hotels charge for such as: Wi-Fi, continental breakfast and complimentary gym passes to Equinox gym.

We would love to see you back with us again in the near future.

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is just 50 m from Times Square, but in a fairly quiet street. Unbelievably good value for such a central location. Central Park is ten minutes away, and Fifth Avenue is 1.5 blocks East.

Our room was stylish and sexy, just like the rest of the hotel. The rooftop bar was clearly a popular spot, even for locals, but we were still able to get a dinner table.

The breakfast was nice, with bagels, toast, oatmeal and pastries, and quite tasty gluten-free bread.

The staff are super helpful, and there are a lot of them. We strongly recommend this hotel. We had a great time.

Stayed: July 2014

I am very happy to hear that you choose The Sanctuary Hotel for your romantic getaway.

The staff make every effort to create a unique and memorable experience. We hope to see you back with us again soon for another great stay.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We booked this hidden (really, no marque or sign) hotel steps away from Times Square on advice of a friend. We originally booked for three nights, but due to flight cancellation had to cancel on the first night. The professional and courteous staff at the Sanctuary took care of that and rest of our stay very nicely. We received complimentary bottle of bubbly on arrival. Room was ready at 10 am. It's a smartly designed and well maintained property. I would stay there again. While it is very close to Times Square, it's a quiet hotel.

1  Thank JayInChitown

Thank you for your great comments.

We hope to see you back with us again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel back in November. The staff are excellent, I mean, really, they couldn't do anything else to help you. The lads working the door were polite, genuine , incredibly helpful and they made a English lad like myself (not used to all this tipping) feel at ease.

The interior was lovely, the rooms were small, but I didnt find us wanting any more space. If you travel with 2 or 3 bags each, then maybe. But we didn't have any issues with the size.

The only negatives were the noise from within the hotel. The air conditioning was quite outstanding in that it was so loud! Being November, we just turned it off but in the summer I would have requested another room.Lots of noise from within the corridors.

One slight issue people may face if they have breakfast within the hotel was that a couple of days there were not enough seats for people.

Saying this, I would recommend it and when we return I will likely return due to the staff which are quite frankly out of this world.

Thanks for the great memories guys.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ben_j_d85
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Quick little overnight getaway in New York City, the Sanctuary Hotel is a small boutique hotel located near Times Square and Rockefeller Center, hotel staff were excellent from the doormen, bellhop,front desk staff and concierge, hotel was clean and the roof top bar was awesome, the rooms are a little small, but it's NYC. There was more then enough room for the two of us, shower and water pressure was perfect. The concierge gave us dinner recommendations and his choice was great. Give the Sanctuary a try next time you are in Manhattan

1  Thank Andrew E

The goal is to create a discrete retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm delighted to know that we were able to create that experience for you.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel was ok, I stayed here after flying from luxury in Mexico so maybe I was expecting more but below are my points as to why it was just ok:

Room: The rooms are tiny! There is an option to upgrade probably 4 categories up to get a decent size, but for a short break in the city a standard room is all you need. The rooms are clean and chic, but it was just to stuffy and cramped for my liking.

Lighting: When you walk in to the hotel it's so dark I thought I had walked into a nightclub...the lighting may sound like i'm nit picking but lighting really does effect a mood and walking around with dim lights everywhere was really annoying.

Staff: No complaints with the staff, from the moment you look as if you are about to walk into the hotel the doormen are on hand to open the door and greet you. The hotel staff are polite.

Location: Perfect location! In the heart of Times Square and it only took me a few blocks to walk down to Central Park. Loads of the designer stores are on the road behind aswell which is nice a easy to get to, plus there is a subway at the end of each end of the street the hotel is located if you want to venture out further.

Rooftop: Rooftop was nice, weather was good so nice to relax out in the sun.

Food: Didn't try any of the food- only because there is so much to eat everywhere else---tip for Londoners....there is a café opposite that does all day breakfast and more....busy but cheap and cheerful and nice lol.

I personally think that I could have paid that bit extra or even probably the same for a Hilton or Intercontinental and felt better about my money being spent- rather than going for second best and feeling like if i'm gonna spend a lot of money I should have done it properly. But this is great if you don't mind small, cosy boutique type places.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim M
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Decided to visit NYC for 5 days , Sanctuary Hotel was our choice . The good : location , this hotel is located just few blocks from TSQ walking distance to many tourist attractions . The staff OMG! Friendly at plus and thy know this is difficult to find in big cities specially NYC. The girls at the front desk super nice professionals and friendly . The hotel is small , I a boutique hotel , the lobby and the few hallways with the statues look like an small monastery , I really liked . Flavored water (lemon and Ice tea ) in the lobby is great after coming back from hours if walking , relaxing in the dark lobby was very good . Now the not so good : SMAll rooms and when I said small they are super small trust me I think my balcony cruise cabin this past summer was bigger , honestly if anyone plans to stay at this hotel with friends or any other person where privacy matter you better think twice , two people can not be in the bathroom at the same time is not privacy at all and if the toilet needs to be use you better send your roommate to the lobby , it is a slide door between the toilet and the shower but again the space is very limited like an small aircraft bathroom . I have to say the shower is amazing !!! Many thanks to the huge rain cascade shower I survived after walking 10 hours daily in NYC . The bed super soft not for me I wake up every morning with back pain but this is me , I prefer firm mattresses but again thanks to the incredible shower I was ready in 30 minutes . They do offer breakfast ( continental breakfast ) same every day good but after the second day I need something better thank fruit bagel coffee and juice , they offer eggs too but plain eggs like a fast food restaurant. The restaurant staff very nice , again no much lights around this hotel me personally love it my fiancé no so much . Back to room , dark and black carpet but a cute chandelier . Good hotel if you are ok with these amenities oh almost forget , a great bar-restaurant top floor great dessert but super expensive $12 each . I think I over paid this time for a hotel in NYC around $250 per night overall the hotel is nice , clean and the best hotel staff in NYC . Staying at this hotel again , me ? Maybe if I get it for a better rate .

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple