“Excellent staff, brilliant location”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #75 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed at the Sanctuary for a three nights having stayed in two other hotels on previous visits. From the time we walked through the door until we checked out, the amenities and staff were amazing.
The rooms although small were well designed with the shower in the main bedroom. Having stayed in New York on several other occasions this was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. Literally around the corner from Times Square, but so quiet and peaceful to sleep in. Not much of a view however very little time was spent in the room. Beds were very comfortable.
Overall an excellent experience and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Animal16
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

The staff will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience here with us. They make every effort to provide our guests with a memorable stay and I'm happy to know that they were able to do that for you.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you in the near future.

Jeremy Poon

Write a ReviewReviews (4,115)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Sanctuary Hotel to celebrate my 40th (ahem!) birthday in early October. The hotel was perfect, the staff were so helpful and recommend some great places to eat. The room we stayed in was again perfect, just the right size and with the Sanctuary's location, and I hate to say it again, being perfect too just off Times Square.

The roof top bar is like 'a haven' from the hustle and bustle of the NY streets below where you can sit and have a cold beer sat 60 odd stories up amongst the bright lights of Times Square.

We had an amazing time in New York made even better by an amazing Hotel that just didn't disappoint.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time with us and happy to know that you had the opportunity to visit our rooftop lounge "Haven".

We hope to have you back with us soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I chose this hotel on the basis of Trip Advisor reviews. As a woman traveling by myself, I wanted to ensure that I stayed in a hotel which had great service. I was not wrong in my choice. I stayed for five days and was delighted.
From the moment I arrived I was really impressed by the service attitude of the staff. I was always greeted with pleasant and friendly people... From the front desk, to the room cleaners to the restaurant and bar staff. Well done to those who have set this standard!
The room was quiet , very clean and spacious. I ate it he restaurant three times, and was always pleased with the quality of food and service.
My only disappointment was the towels. They are very small and a bit crunchy.
This is a minor Gripe in what was an outstanding stay.
I will return!!!,

Room Tip: I was at the back on the third floor... Very quiet !!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Janeeh040
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for providing us with such great feedback.

Knowing that you chose the Sanctuary Hotel based on tripadvisor brings a smile to all our faces and I'm glad that we didn't disappoint. I am also happy to know that you were able to experience our restaurant on multiple occasions and was pleased with it.

We hope to see you again in the near future, so that you can experience even more of what we have to offer.

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Sanctuary with my two children for a few nights as a special treat. I was at first hesitant it would not be child friendly, but was pleasantly surprised. From the time we walked through the door til checkout, the amenities, staff and amazingly comfortable accommodations were superb. The on demand movie didn't work, but they credited my account right away.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2012
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Knowing that we are one of your favorite hotels in NYC, brings a smile to all our faces. We are happy to know that you had such a wonderful experience with us.

We hope to have you back with us again soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed for 1 night on a Sunday after coming in from a cruise during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. My friend and I arrived early (9am) but we were able to check-in. Bonus points! The front desk staff is super friendly and very helpful. Room is just the perfect size for NYC standards. Bed is a little firm but comfortable. The continental breakfast was included (muffins, cereal, orange juice, etc...) so no complaints. I'd like to point out that it's very rare to see breakfast included in NYC hotels so this was another bonus. Same goes for the free Wi-fi, which was super fast. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hurricane Sandy was definitely a challenge for all of us in NYC. The Sanctuary Hotel was fortunate enough not to have any power or water disruption. We'd like to thank all our guests for their patience and understanding.

I'm happy to know that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. You are correct when you say that it is rare for hotels in NYC to have breakfast included. With complimentary breakfast, wi-fi, and passes to the luxurious Equinox gym, we believe this is good added value for our guests.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience. We hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in the Sanctuary for three nights at the end of October. We arrived the day Hurricane Sandy hit. Due to this alot of Times Square was closed. The staff in the hotel were very friendly and accomadating. Julio the porter was very friendly and knowledgable. Brandan the concierge was excellent. He knew I was to propose to my girlfriend and as a good gesture he brought us up a bottle of wine.
The location of the hotel is excellent. A mere 3 minute walk to Times Square and right beside an excellent Irish Bar the Pig and Whistle.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Julio and Brandon will be delighted to read about your comments.

Our staff make every effort to create an experience that is both unique and memorable. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us despite the unfortunate occurrence of hurricane Sandy.

We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Superb Hotel n service n Superb everything Before /During/After the SuperStorm*The staff were ALL BRILLIANT incl Dinner 'in' for the 2nights of the storm Plus a free film in the restaurant of the fabulous hotel in brilliant area So close to Times Sq Large immaculate Bedroom with 2 double beds for my daughter n self Would def recommend and saving up to go back !

• Stayed: October 2012
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

The storm was definitely a challenge for our operations and I'm happy that our staff made all efforts to ensure that our guests were taken care of. Thank you for your patience and understanding through that tough week.

We hope that you come back in the near future so that you may experience the Sanctuary Hotel the way it was meant to be.