“Fantastic time in NYC”

Ranked #64 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic time in NYC”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Sanctuary is a great hotel in a fantastic location, very much within easy access of many great attractions and I will definitely go back again. We had a double double which still gave us enough room for the little amount of time we spent in our room. The bathroom was great with a super shower and although we didn't have a view to speak of from our room, the Haven restaurant on the roof top did! The beds were really comfy and the room clean and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, especially with reassuring us about the impending arrival of Hurricane Sandy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (770)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Melton Mowbray
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here during hurricane Sandy and we were well looked after by the staff who were all excellent, from the barmaids to the doorman they were first class. Comfy bed, reasonable sized room with king size bed. Great location, literally 50 paces from Times Square.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ralphco
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

As a first time visitor to New York, my choice of hotel was based on UK travel agent recommendation & we warned that most New York Hotel rooms were small.
My wife & I were not disappointed. A friendly reception booked us in and cases promptly delivered to room. Yes the room was small larger enough to move around, but we were in New York to see New York not stay in a room. The room was well furnished, good sized shower, free to use safe in room is a great help. Complimentary breakfast was a great start to the day and location was ideal for Times Square, and easy access to Hop on Hop off bus tours. We found the location an easy walking distant to Empire States building, Theatres and the waterfront where you can get access to several boat trips to Manhattan. All the staff we encountered were very helpful and we would certainly consider using again when we return to New York in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for posting a great review about us.

We are happy to know that your first trip to New York was at the Sanctuary Hotel. Should your travels bring you back to NYC again, always know that you will home away from home with us.

We look forward to having you back.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Poon
Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

The hotel offers a continental breakfast and wi-fi complimentary. We had a nice room. Hotel is great for theater, MoMA, Rockefeller Center. Close to subway lines. Rooftop bar was nice and you could see the lights of Time Square.

• Stayed October 2012
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I made the reservation at the sanctuary after reading all the great reviews, however it did not meet the expectations. I had been in NYC usually stayed at intercontinental which I think is a better choice. First of all, the room we got was extremely small just beneath the rooftop lounge. I complain and I was transfer to an upgraded suit, which I appreciate since the room was bigger and nicer. However the street noise was terrible. The hotel has a noise problemI suffer from allergies and I asked for my room to be purify and they did the fist night but after that It never was done again I asked every morning but my allergies got worst and worst. I asked to speak to housekeeping directly but they do not an extension available, first time I have been in a hotel that the guest do not have access to housekeeping. Also, when you asked for slipper or any other toiletry they do not have any, strange for a 4 star hotel. The breakfast is a disappointment, i would not call the three items available a breakfast. Also the restaurant at the rooftop is very poor and very expensive. I asked a pasta with shrimps it only had three shrimps which had been cut in peaces. However the waiters and staff were pleasant and nice. The hotel assets are great location and great front desk staff. I appreciate to have been upgrade to a deluxe suite free of charge.

Room Tip: Low floor and back of building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ana D
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for providing me with feedback in regards to your recent visit at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I'd like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your visit. I am sadden by the fact that we were not able to provide you with the flawless stay that you deserve. Our staff works very hard at providing an experience that is memorable as well as tailored to the specific need of the guest. We handle all requests with urgency, especially when it is pertaining to sensitive issues such as allergies.

I'm glad that the front desk was able to provide you with a more comfortable option and I will certainly address my housekeeping department about our "hypoallergenic request" procedures.

I would love to further discuss your concerns with you and can be reached at jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Poon
Toronto
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It really does not get any better than this. I recently travelled to NYC with my daughter to celebrate her 13th birthday and on the recommendation of a friend stayed at the Sanctuary. I have been to NYC several times and it is always wonderful. The Sanctuary took the New York City experience to a whole new level. The hotel is beautiful, warm and inviting. The coolness of staying in a boutique hotel near Times Square is one thing but it's the staff that deserve all the kudos here because they MAKE the hotel. They are all so friendly and really can't do enough for you. The concierges went out of their way to make sure everything about our room and stay in NYC was perfect. Oh, and the location! Also fabulous! Times Square between 6th and 7th. It doesn't get much better. I can't wait to go back but next time with my husband. It's hard to imagine ever staying anywhere else in New York.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paulinemary42
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at the Sanctuary Hotel for 4 nights and had a lovely time. The hotel lived up to expectations! The staff were very friendly and we were delighted to get an upgrade to a King size room with street view. The room was great, comfy and spacious. Great location. All in all - definitely a hotel to return to. Thanks to all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple