“Great Hotel in the heart of New York City”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #75 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sacramento, California
“Great Hotel in the heart of New York City”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I travel to New York City for business 4 times a year I have tried dozens of hotels including the Palace and the Warldorf Astoria.
The Sanctuary is by far the best hotel I stayed in NY.
THe staff is so friendly so helpful, none of the usual NY attitude here.
I checked in late evening and usually the choice of room is not great.
Au contraire I was upgraded just like that without asking to a beautiful room on the 2nd floor with a view of w47th st- no noise- super clean- great bathroom- great bed sheets Fantastic hotel at great value prices.
Continental breakfast included was very nice( that's a saving of $30.00 at least) and the location is so central 1 block from Times Square and from 5th Avenue. I am coming back Freddie see you in June.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank KDK311
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Being compared to the Palace Hotel and Waldorf Astoria is a great honor.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Many guests would also agree that the complimentary breakfast is of great value. We are constantly looking at new ideas to continually improve the services we provide.

I am glad that you enjoyed our Deluxe King room and the luxurious Frette linen sheets that we use.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon and would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Jeremy Poon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Timperley, Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2012

we have just returned from NYC and our stay at the sanctuary hotel, and it's name is appropriate, set in the noisiest part of the city, you wouldn't know once you step through those doors, as somehow the hustle and bustle of Times Square dissapears, and somehow they manage to keep all the noise of the crazy streets outside, and inside is quiet and welcoming and tastefully decorated.

the staff are really friendly and willing to help you with just about anything, they made us feel welcome and in the 3 days we were there,almost became like friends, really added to our stay in NYC, full of advice and smiles.

the rooms are quite small, but not as small as i had thought they would be reading some of the reviews on here. big enough for us, with free wi fi. we had room 807, and despite all the noise outside, it was lovely and quiet, very clean, and the beds are very comfy. our little home from home.

the complimentary continental breakfast in the morning was a very welcome addition, great for us as we could have coffee, cereal and toast and croissants and you can take a coffee "to go " which set us up well for our sight seeing, as we then didn;t have to worry about food until lunch, which meant we could get on with our day straight away rather than having to hunt for breakfast in a morning,

if you are looking for a good base for a trip to NYC, in the middle of everywhere, staff are welcoming, and everything is clean and simple, then this is your place to stay,

Thank you to all the staff at sanctuary for all you help, and looking after us on our first trip to new york. we will return!

Room Tip: we had 807, no noise at all.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nikki D
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback in regards to your stay with us at the Sanctuary Hotel.

We love to hear when guests have a great experience with us and knowing that you thoroughly enjoyed your time here, brings smiles to our faces. Most guests such as yourself, really enjoyed the complimentary breakfast that we provide.

The staff will be delighted to read about your feedback. Should your travels bring you back to New York City, please do not hesitate to come back to the Sanctuary Hotel. We hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 21, 2012

After searching and reading reviews for a great place to stay in NYC, I came across Sanctuary, and decided to take a chance. What a truly wonderful surprise. Just a half block from from Times Square, it's suprisingly private and tranquil. We spent 5 days in January and had an amazing time. The hotel is sexy, sleek and romantic. What I liked most was, almost immediatley I felt "at home" in big part to the frinedly staff. From the doormen, to the front desk, to Freddie the concierge, everyone talked with us. We didn't feel like a number or just another guest, but that the staff cared. And that's what makes a great hotel for me.
Some other highlights: We loved being able to get a continental breakfast in the morning and a cup of coffee and being able to just sit and plan our day. I'm so tired of being nickel and dimed everytime I go on a trip. To be able to get a free breakfast , free internet goes a long way in my book. And it was good!

Not a Times Square Guy, I usually stay in Soho, Tribeca or Chelsea.However, I really liked the location. Half block from the subway, one stop from the 42nd street stop, where you can connect to almost any line and get to anywhere in the city.

Now the only negative I had was... the room was small. Well appointed, comfortable,good bed, nice linens, always clean, sexy shower.. but small. We had a Queen I think on the 7th floor. We made it work and once we got suitcases situated ( see below) we were fine.

Sanctuary is my new go to hotel in NYC. Hopefully they won't let the good press and reviews go to their heads, but stay the course with the great staff, perks, and keep it affordable! It's the blueprint for their success and their future.

AZ
Los Angeles, Ca.

Room Tip: The queen room I had on the seventh floor was small even by New york Standards. We made it work, and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A Z
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
We really appreciate when guests provide such wonderful feedback about their stay with us.

You are absolutely right and I am glad that you did not feel like you were treated like another number. Our focus is to always create an experience to remember for all our guests. Our S.T.A.R. program (Service Tailored to Any Request) was specifically create to provide services, where guests would feel like the Sanctuary is a "home away from home".

As you stated our rooms are well appointed and we really try to create a design that would be warm, comfortable and inviting while maximizing the use of space.

We understand the success that the Sanctuary is having comes from the genuine, attentive service that we provide. Our goal is to continuously improve our services and we would never let this success get to our heads.

We would love to see you back with us again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I normally stay at the W in Times Square, but this time I opted to stay in a boutique hotel around that area. I looked up hotels and the one hotel that kept standing out was Sanctuary Hotel off of 47th street, between 6th and 7th Aves. As I was checking in, the front desk man, Lucas was so helpful and already had a complimentary upgrade to a King suite ready for me and my guest. Loved the staff and amenities throughout. The room was very romantic and it looked just like the pictures you see on the sites. It was beautiful and the location was ideal. Wish i couldve stayed there longer. I travel to NY City twice a year and definitely am booking this hotel again on my next travels! A DEFINITE MUST STAY! PERFECT LOCATION, PERFECT STAFF!!!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank BamaGrL118
Thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel New York.

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to have you visit us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Whilst it wasn't bad I think it was overpriced and they got a great photographer to do the pictures. Great location, yes. Attention to detail poor, which if I wasn't paying through the nose I wouldn't expect any more. However, the standard room was tiny, barely room to move around the bed. Whilst this hotel tries to make the shower look exotic and plush this is basically because there is no room for a separate bathroom so the shower is in the room. The door on the toilet didn't shut properly so no thought for privacy and there was nowhere to hang towels to dry. Also no tea or coffee making facilities in the room and a below average breakfast was served in the morning. Staff were pleasant, however after a long day walking the streets we returned to the hotel wanting a cup of coffee which we waited over 15 minutes for! I think this hotel gets away with charging what it does simply because of the location, which is great. However they lack in attention to detail. Not to mention our surprise at someone being beaten up on the sidewalk one night opposite the hotel whilst the concierge looked on from the steps of the hotel....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank O S
It saddens me to know that we were not able to meet your expectations. Our goal is to always provide all of our guests with an experience that is both memorable and unique.

Our rooms are designed with the effort of maximizing full use of space, while creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. Although we do not have coffee machines in our rooms, we do offer daily complimentary breakfast in our lounge area. Our S.T.A.R. experience program is also built on the foundation of going above and beyond for our guests. If you wanted coffee at a specific time, we would have been more than happy to have it delivered to your room at no additional cost.

However, I do apologize that the door did not close properly. This is definitely not normal and has already been addressed.

As you may see from most of our reviewers, our focus is always on the guests and the attention to detail is always tailored to each guests' specific needs.

Should you give us another opportunity in the future, please contact me directly for reservations (jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com). I will personally make sure that you experience the Sanctuary Hotel the way it was meant to be.

Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2012

First, the basics: comfy bed, great shower, immaculately clean, fine location (near Times Sq but not too noisy), small room but perfect for solo traveler

Next, the extras: nice free continental breakfast, fun flashing of Times Sq neon in my window at night (there was a shade if needed), privacy curtain for shower (Shower is actually in the room, toilet is only additional room)

Last: the sensational: the staff, friendliest I have ever encountered and this says a lot as all boutique staffers seem to be trained in the same wonderful hospitality school; the decor, with Indian references and homey gas fireplaces scattered throughout, making for a happy relief coming in from the rain.

I booked via Sniqueaway and had gotten a reasonable rate of $174 not including taxes etc

Just a lovely all around experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank cootmom
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
"Exotic Gem" is what we like to be, and "sensational staff" is what we strive to have here at the Sanctuary Hotel. Thank you for those words of encouragement.

It's great when guest appreciate the efforts that we make to provide our guests with and exceptional visit.

Please keep us in mind the next time you travel to NYC. We would love to have you back.

Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Firstly the location cannot be beaten. Close by to times square and rockefeller centre and adjoining subway stations. The rooms, were small, but perfectly formed. They were clean, compact and very slick. The staff, faultless. The concierge were especially informative, helpful and couldn't do more for you. Only downside was the bar, wouldn't describe it as a cocktail bar as many of the bartenders didn't know the most common cocktails and how to make them, and they were mostly devoid of people and atmosphere. However, with so many bars nearby it really wasn't a problem. Stay here, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: No harm in asking for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tom_Ryan
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about us.

Saying that the staff was "faultless" is a great compliment to us and this is why we continuously strive to improve our services. Our goal is to always try and exceed guest expectations.

We hope to see you again in the near future.