“Fabulous!”

Ranked #74 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Sanctuary early this month.
My room was a deluxe King and fantastic, even down to great coat hangers that would hold "delicate fabrics" and the wardrobe space was large enough to be able to pop the suitcase in rather than taking up space in the room.
The bed was brilliant and the finishes in the room are gorgeous.
I loved the location, and the Staff (including the breakfast people) where terrific, personable, knowledgeable and very "can do".
I will say I did have a slight "glitch" in communication in the early stages of my booking, however once this was recognised Jeremy (GM) and staff pulled out all stops to "action" a wonderful recovery.
I have no hesitation in recommending this cool, funky, little haven tucked just out of the "action" areas, but close enough to be absolutely central.
This was a very special visit to New York and the Sanctuary and staff made it simply superb!
I look forward to further visits...
Thank you sincerely... you did your business proud and I loved it!

Room Tip: The king Deluxe is delightful...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for writing such an outstanding review about your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I am delighted to know that we were able to recover from the initial booking "glitch". It's very important to us on how a guest experience starts, and how it finishes.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and we all hope to have you back soon.

Sanctuary Hotel New York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We recently stayed at Sanctuary over Thanksgiving in the King Deluxe room. I booked the hotel 3 weeks ahead of time and emailed twice to request a room with a street view for my son who has some special needs and loves to watch cars and people. They never answered my email until the 3rd time, a week before the trip, saying they would "try to accommodate my request but no guarantees." Its the only special accommodation I asked for. When we got to the hotel I asked about the street view room again, and they said no, but if I had asked earlier we may have gotten it. I did ask earlier. Twice. Maybe you should read your email? Anyway, not a big deal but it would have been a nice gesture. Other hotels usually do something extra if we ask. When we got there we were greeted by the concierge/doorman who swiftly valeted our car and got our bangs upstairs. He was very nice and helpful helping us to find our way around. He was really sweet to my son, making sure he was comfortable while we checked in. The room was on the 5th floor facing a quieter street that has some nightclubs on it. One night there was a fight that broke out but no big deal-its New York City. Its noisy. The room was smaller than expected but was just enough. Kind of a moody chocolate decor with splashes of red, not too fancy but definitely nice and clean. Floor could use a better cleaning.They had this great all glass see through sealed in rainfall shower which was wonderful and my son had a great time in there splashing around. They need to get normal sized washcloths for the shower! The ones they provided were more like hand towels. Heard no noise from other guests so the walls must be thick. The hotels best asset is their staff-they were all amazing, friendly and helpful. The man who works the morning shift was especially energetic and happy at 7am-he made me smile even though I was not quite awake yet. A housekeeper came in to offer to make up the cot-nice. Breakfast was appreciated as we were on the run a lot but a bit limited-the most basic continental. The hotel also has this wonderful sort of dark and mysterious ambiance in the lobby; fireplaces everywhere and these really cool statues. Bed was a pillow top but a little saggy, linens were wonderful down comforters and the pillows were soft and amazing. I wish I knew about the fitness center and the spa? Overall a great visit, but please try to cater more to families with kids who have special needs. Im not saying we deserve better treatment than everyone else, but its really hard to travel with a child with special needs and every little bit helps to keep them happy and occupied. It makes all the difference and makes the trip more enjoyable for everyone. Thanks all!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you for writing such a detailed review about your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I am pleased to know that your overall stay with us was good. However, I would like to apologize for your emails not being responded to in a prompt manner. This will be addressed with the staff.

Knowing that you (and especially your son), enjoyed your time with us, brings a smile on all our faces. Most of the great feedback in regards to our rainfall showers are from our adult guests. It's great to hear that your son enjoyed it just as much.

We appreciate your comments about our design and decor. The owners have placed great efforts in designing a product that is both warm and unique.

Our goal is to create a memorable experience for all our guests, and of all ages. Should your travels bring you to New York City again, please think of the Sanctuary Hotel. I would love to meet with you and your son.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I recently stayed on business for a week in a room in one of the delux rooms on the 3rd floor (actually 2nd, but the Americans start on the 1st) overlooking 47th Street (and into the ABC news studio) and was extremely happy with my stay.

The room was a decent size for Manhattan, the bed was extremely comfortable and the ipod docking station, large TV and free wifi (a bit slow) were all nice touches. I enjoyed coming back to my room each night to soft classical music (radio turned on by the staff) and to find out what arrangement my pillows had been crafted into that evening! The 'weather for the next day' card was also a nice personal touch.

I couldn't quite work out the A/C though as it seemed to go off at night and with the nice thick duvet I'd end up too hot. However as it was pretty noisy it was probably a good thing it was off at night.

The staff were extremely polite, helpful and it had the feel of a family run place.Nice chic, moody feel to the whole hotel rather than the bland corporate boxes that seem to be the norm now.

At the moment (Nov) there is still some work going on to a couple of parts of the building, but this didn't affect our stay. I'm assuming that once the restaurant is up and running, the breakfast will be better. At present it's complimentary and consists of a fairly low key buffet. Not the best, but it got me going to work each day and hey if you need any more food there's plenty of it in NY!

Despite it's proximity to Times Square the hotel seems a peaceful world away, although you'll still benefit from earplugs for the early morning traffic, but that is a given in Manhattan.

The free access to a couple of local gyms (free kit provided at the Rockerfeller one and you'll need a padlock for the Equinox one) was handy to help work off the US sized portions of dinner. I'm not sure whether this will change once the hotel's amenities are complete

Given the special rates during the pre-official launch period I think the Sanctuary was a great choice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I am glad that you enjoyed the services provided by the staff. Our goal is to make our guests comfortable enough to feel like this is home away from home. So I am happy to hear that they gave you the feel of family.

We are sorry that you had some trouble with our A/C system. We will definitely look into the issue with the noise.

It's nice to know when guests appreciate some of the amenities that we provide. Many guests such as yourself enjoy the complimentary day passes to Equinox gym and Sports Club LA.

We hope to see you again soon.

Toronto
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Attracted by the glowing reviews, we stayed at the Sanctuary Nov. 19 and 20, 2011. We rate this hotel "average," because it's better than "poor."

We travel to NYC about eight times a year, and have been seeking a small hotel to which we can happily return. We had actually found one, but the reviews on TripAdvisor and a relatively attractive price on Expedia induced us to try the Sanctuary.

They got off to a bad start. We reserved a deluxe queen room, and requested no feather bedding because of an allergic condition. The Deluxe Queen, Room 408, was a very small room with a curtained shower area, tiny window looking onto an airshaft and feather bedding. We said that wouldn't do, so they offered the larger Room 302, a Deluxe King, which has two full windows over 47th Street and a glassed-in shower, at an additional charge of $30 a night (plus tax). This room also had feather bedding. We took Room 302.

We asked that the bedding be changed. The first line of defence was that the hotel had not been notified of our request, but they certainly had been, and it was on our confirmation. The staff was not sure that they could provide synthetic down pillows and duvet, but eventually rustled up four pillows and a blanket. They provided synthetic-filled duvet for the next night.

The hotel personnel are extraordinarily friendly, helpful and wiiling, but they are dealing with badly flawed product:

. The general colour scheme is a psedo-sophisticated depressing mix of dark browns and Chinese reds.

. We think all of the Deluxe Queens have only airshaft windows (Explanation: "Hey, this is New York."), which should be made clear in the room description.

. We may be wrong, but the windows facing 47th Street appear not to be double glazed, so the noise from the street is excessive

. Little dumb omissions, such as a sink but no towel rack in the separate toilet room.

. Inadequate reading lamps, but..... chandeliers (?!).

. Free but unstable WiFi.

. Breakfast is included, but it lacks some basics. Apples but no other fruit. Only orange juice. No protein such as hard-boiled eggs. Note: there is no kitchen in the hotel, but they are planning to add one. The breakfast room is stark and institutional. There is continual blaring music. (Also blaring music in the elevators much of the time.)

The bed was perfectly comfortable. There was ample hot water. There is enough closet and drawer space. The mid-town location and subway access couldn't be better.

On the wall near the front desk is a plaque decreeing that The Sanctuary received a hospitality award from some industry organization. The personnel deserve the award. They are cheerful and accomodating. They remember your name. They made us wish they were working in a better hotel.

Room Tip: Room 408, Deluxe Queen has a tiny airshaft window and a curtained shower. Room 302, Deluxe King has...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Drumfish
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

We make every effort to create a memorable experience tailored specifically to each guest's needs. Most of our tripadvisor reviewers will agree that the staff and the services that we provide are warm, attentive and most important...genuine. Many also love our decor and design.

However, we are disappointed that your visit did not meet expectations. I would like to sincerely apologize that your experience did not reflect the high standards that we set forth. We believe that with your shared experience, it is the best tool for us to have as we continuously make improvements for our guests.

In regards to your special bedding request, I was not able to see any notations in our system. I see that you booked through expedia.com and perhaps something was lost in translation. Regardless, we are sorry and I am glad that we were able to correct the situation for you.

I would love to have you back as our guest and the opportunity to further discuss this with you. I can be reached at Jeremy@sanctuaryhotelnyc.com.

Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Stayed in the most expensive room, the Sweet Suite, and had some issues. 1) The lights are freaky--either it's super light or totally dark. In between range is bizarre and you basically have to keep the light on above the closet separating the living room from bedroom to achieve middle-light. 2) On demand movie service didn't work on either TV, either night I tried it and required multiple calls to front desk--one that resolved the issue, one that didn't. 3) Breakfast (such as it is, and don't get excited!) starts at 7am. Not sure if anyone else who stays at Sanctuary is there for work, but with no room service, your coffee service AT LEAST should start earlier. That, or give me a cheap little machine in my suite so I can make my own. 4) Bed is good but 4 super soft pillows with no other options made my couple nights there a little uncomfortable. That said, overall good experience. Staff is quite friendly.

Room Tip: Choose Sweet Suite if you can--I heard other rooms were teeny tiny.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

I'm glad that your overall experience was good. I do however apologize that your stay was less than perfect.

Most of our guests enjoy the complimentary breakfast that we provide each morning. We serve a variety of fresh bagels, croissants, and many other pastries, along with coffee, tea and juice options. Our S.T.A.R (Service Tailored to Any Request) team is also here to handle any special requests. If a guest would like coffee delivered to their room at a specific time from Starbucks (as an example), the S.T.A.R. team would be more than happy to make that happen. We have also considered your suggestion and will be placing a coffee machine in our suite.

I apologize for the technical issues with the On Demand movies and our lighting system. We are making the necessary adjustments to ensure that these issues do not happen for future guests.

We understand that as a guest, you have many choices of hotels in New York City. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back, so that you can experience the Sanctuary Hotel the way it was meant to be.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I have never wrote a review when I stayed at hotels in the past but i feel I must for my stay at the Sanctuary. I've stayed at many hotels but the service at The Sanctuary was second to none. The cocktails at the bar made by Whitney and Blanche are dangerously good, Lenny knowledge of the local night life and food recommendations were excellent and Rafael on the door was first class. The rest of the staff were also excellent. The rooms are clean and well designed. The prices are very reasonable. The only thing I would like to see is a restaurant and room service etc as much as discovering NYC is great food around times sq isn't great and a quality restaurant with the level of service provided by the staff at the hotel would be an instant success. Highly recommend to anyone. Will be back. X

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for providing us with such great feedback.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Blanche, Whitney, Lenny and Rafael will be excited to read about your comments.

Our restaurant will be coming soon in the near future. We hope to see you again soon, so that you can experience more of what the Sanctuary Hotel has to offer.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This is an older hotel that's been given an upgrade to make it more stylish and they have succeeded. to be honest, its not an A+ upgrade with expensive furnishings--more along the lines of those trendy hotels you find in Europe with the IKEA type of furniture in common areas, except for a beautiful Asian inspired area near the elevator. But overall, I have NOTHING bad to say about this hotel. A great bed with wonderfully soft linens and a rain shower make this a nice place to stay. Room is small but nothing out of the ordinary for New York and if you're the type that can answer emails in bed or watch tv there, you'll be fine. Location is ideal if you are sightseeing - very short walks to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. Breakfast is complimentary and offers cereal, breads, juice, coffee, yogurt and fruits. Sure, its not cooked to order but its pretty good, especially in a city looking to nickel and dime you for everything. It was all high quality and the perfect way to start off a day. Some signs of construction are about but will hopefully be gone shortly.
STAFF IS EXCEPTIONAL - especially the concierge.

Room Tip: probably best to choose a room higher than the second floor if a light sleeper as sometimes the hip...
1 Thank Retrorich
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with great feedback regarding your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel.

As you can see from numerous reviews, our guests (like yourself) enjoy the comfort of our beds and the luxurious “Frette” linens that we use. They also rave about the design and décor of our rooms and public space areas. The Sanctuary Hotel has undergone a beautiful multi-million dollar renovation. Since space is limited in New York City, the owners have intelligently incorporated details to the design where use of space is maximized, while still creating a comfortable and inviting environment. All our furniture in guest rooms and public space areas, are custom-made to highlight the features of the design.

I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast every morning. It’s nice to know that it was the perfect start to your day.

We thank you and hope to see you again soon.