“"I simply loved it"”

Sanctuary Hotel New York
Ranked #76 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 27, 2011

The name of the hotel Sanctuary is perfect because it truly is a sanctuary. How do I describe a place that makes me feel so at home. The people, my fabulous room (which was so nice and stylish...), the bed (so comfortable), and the complimentary breakfast (which was simple...but delicious). It's not a huge place, but this didn't take away anything from it, in fact, this added to its feeling of exclusivity. It's location was so perfect!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone because of it's location, so nice, stylish, cozy, and sensual, I can't say enough about it...even the fireplace downstairs was amazing.

It's one of those hotels where I would definitely want to come back.

Everything was so perfect that I'm in love with it, and couldn't possibly think of going anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Julia B
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

We really appreciate the feedback that our guests have been giving us.

Everyone has had such great things to say about our hotel and that is exactly what motivates the staff to work even harder. Our goal is create an experience for everyone, that defines what "Sanctuary" means to them. Our S.T.A.R. program tailors requests to the individual needs of our guests.

I am glad that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds and the breakfast that we serve.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warm Wishes,

Sanctuary Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (4,163)

Reviewed September 26, 2011

What can I say, from the moment I arrived at the hotel, the staff were incredibly friendly and welcoming, and the interior was warm, modern and very sophisticated. Sanctuary Hotel just has a great vibe straight away! The queen room, although bijou, was beautifully styled and designed and immaculate. The Iphone dock was great for charging my phone and played some good music. It really felt like home, and it was very quiet. I really wouldn't hesitate to book again since the location was perfect and it had such an individual boutique hotel atmosphere.

Room Tip: I upgraded to a queen room, which was larger than the normal and worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Nich1976
JeremyPoon, General Manager at Sanctuary Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us.

We love to hear when guest of ours make comments such as "it felt like home". We are happy that you like the design and the vibe of the Sanctuary hotel. The IHome docking stations are always a great hit with all our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

The Sanctuary Hotel was a great place to stay. Wonderful Location too - one block from Times Square, the other direction places you on 5th Avenue.

It was unique and didn't have the atmosphere of "just another hotel" chain. Awesome lighting effects at night, lobby and entrance. Easy to point out to a taxi driver.

The people were wonderful too. We actually stayed here for our honeymoon and they made sure were taken care of, and even sent us a gift from the front-desk staff (everyone signed it too). Lenny is at your service with a smile! They had great suggestions for how to spend our time (first time in New York)

For breakfast: we stayed over Labor Day weekend, so the hotel didn't serve any free breakfast (apparently not over any weekend.) I would say the little fresh co-op right across from the hotel. quick and easy. However, avoid the diner one block away.

I would certainly stay here again.

1  Thank Paulzt
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed 4 nights (Sept 15 -19, 2011) for our first trip to Manhattan and we were very impressed with this hotel.

As it has been said many times before, the building is spectacular, the staff is spectacular and the location is spectacular.

Very clean from top to bottom, very comfortable beds with nice linens. Two steps inside the front door (which is always attended by at least one doorman) and you would never know you were just half a block from the hustle of Times Square. The rooms are remarkably insulated from the noise of the mid-town streets and only once or twice did we hear anything; including sirens. We stayed in a deluxe queen room on the 4th floor which, while small, was certainly all we needed. If traveling with anyone other than your significant other this would have been a bit of a challenge but for couples or singles it is perfectly fine.

What really makes this property stand out, though, is the staff. Being greeted by the front desk every time you come or go through the front door, seeing anywhere from one to four doormen at all times, and of course Lenny, the very personable and approachable Concierge; make this a wonderful place to experience . (Thanks again for all your help, Lenny - your advice and assistance was right on the money every time!)

The location could not have been better for our trip - walking distance to the Empire State Building in one direction, Central Park in the other. Half a block from Times Square, and right in the vicinity of subway terminals, Broadway and off-Broadway theaters, the shops of 5th Ave, Rockefeller Plaza, Radio City Music Hall, etc, etc, etc.

All in all this is easily one of the best hotels we have stayed at, and we will be staying here again if we ever make it back to Manhattan.

3  Thank HurtnAlbertan

Thank you for giving us a fantastic and detailed review regarding your stay at the Sanctuary Hotel New York.

We love when guests enjoy the experience of what Sanctuary Hotel has to offer. We receive great comments regarding our beds and the Frette linen that we use. It's good to know that you enjoyed it like many others.

Our staff takes great pride in the service that is provided for all our guests and Lenny is definitely one to go above and beyond for anyone.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

From the time I arrived at the hotel the bellman were there to assist me with my luggage. And by the time I was at the front desk about to check in, they already knew my name. needless to say this was a great start to a new and nice experience. I thought to myself can everything else really be just as great in the hotel. Let me just say I had to run up quickly to take a shower and run out the door for a business meeting and almost completely missed the meeting because I took about a half hour shower of delight! The glass enclosed extra large shower with rain shower head was fantastic!!
Well when I arrived back after a few business meetings the lobby had great energy and they just opened their new bar and it was just what I needed to relax and set the pace of the evening. That night I went out to a broadway show and saw book of Mormons which was just a 5 minute walk, "you can't beat this location"! After a great night out I was looking forward to a restful sleep which I was a little nervous about because the hotel was located in times square and thought it might be a little noisy as manhattan is known for, but to my surprise this place is truly a Sanctuary!! There was not a sound to be heard and the mattresses in the hotel are amazing!! If I could have packed up the my mattress and put in in my 1 night carry on bag to take back home I would have, Only Kidding or maybe im not. I would have like to spend more than 1 night at the Sanctuary but had to get back home for the weekend. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank adam r

Thank you for taking the time to write a 5 star review about the Sanctuary Hotel.

I am pleased to know that you had such a wonderful experience here. We make every effort to create an environment and atmosphere where our guests truly feel like they are "home away from home". Our hotel is located in the heart of Times Square and yet when you are inside, you feel as if you're so far away from the hustle and bustle of it.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

I have to echo the other reviewer regarding the size of the room. Upon checking in, we were checked into the absolute smallest room I've ever seen in an NYC hotel. And it was not cheep at over $450. We were quite angry and asked to speak to the Manager. Thankfully we were immediately introduced to the Manager who quickly upgraded us to a "sweet" (Sanctuary's term for a suite) which was about 3 or 4 times the size of the first room. That was a smart move on his part. Don't think they want bad press from the get-go. That "sweet" was lovely, big and well appointed however I could not get used to the bathroom and shower being part of the bedroom. You may be able to see what I am refering to on their website. Not a big deal, but there was very little privacy and space. The front desk and the doormen were all very nice and helpful. The location is good if you want to be near Times Square. I don't believe they have "officially" opened yet and there was a lot of workmen and construction going on throughout or stay. They are going for a very hip and trendy vibe but have to work within the confirms of the size, space and physical architecture of the original old hotel that was there. Hard to do I think.

I suggest that they need to be more upfront about the room size on their website. They won't be able to upgrade everyone and they will have a lot of angry guests if not.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

We appreciate your feedback of us on tripadvisor.com.

I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to meet with you and address the situation. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the original booked room. However, we do have other room types available like our Deluxe rooms which can be reserved.

Since we had an upgrade available for the night, I decided to place you a larger room. This was done not because of any fear of bad press, but because there was a guest that was unhappy with their stay.

We make every effort to maximize the use of space in all our rooms and many appreciate the warmth and coziness that our design presents.

We hope that you will be back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 21, 2011

We were booked into the Hotel Marrakesh through Expedia Secret Hotels, and on complaining about bed bug bites there (three in a row, very neat) we were transferred to this hotel.

Discreet and elegant, style conscious, but not over conscious, perfectly located, staff of the HIGHEST quality, rooms that were elegant contemporary without any trashiness, rain water showers, bombay gin (half bottle) in the minibar, knick knacks galore, two windows, perfect location....this has got to be the best NYC hotel IMHO. We only stayed one night, and enjoyed all aspects of this perfect germ excellently. Ace! Ace!! Ace!!!

Room Tip: As for a room with windows
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends