“Totally renovated and very well located”

Park Central Hotel New York
Ranked #270 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've been in this hotel in June, 2014 with my mother (70 years old) and my two boys (7 and 9 years old). It was perfect. The rooms were large and comfortable. The TV was new and big with many options of channels. I arrived very early in the morning but my room would be available at noon. The attendant gave me the option to choose a smaller room and in a lower floor but that would be available immediately. I prefered to deliver my luggage in the luggage room to go out and visit the city and come back later to check in the bigger room.
The only complain is regarding a "facilities fee" (free wi-fi, use of luggage room, welcome drink(?) and gym room) that is mandatory. If this fee is mandatory why isn't it included in the room price? They told me if you book by internet it is already included. But if you book through a travel agent, it would depends if the agent repass this tax to the hotel. I think that they should make a better work regarding communication with agents. Because if you are a customer and you paid everything in advance to a travel agent in order to arrive to the hotel expecting to have nothing else to worry about, this is a bad surprise. And you can not afford not to pay this fee once it is "obligatory" (about 20 dolars per day).
The location was very good. Close to good restaurants, including options for children: Europa Cafe, Serafina, Benihana, Trattoria D'el Art, etc. And close to many attractions (ex: Central Park) and good shopping options.
I recommend this hotel for who doesn't matter to pay a little more but to stay with comfort and well located. And also for families.

Room Tip: Higher rooms should be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Andrea T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests. I am delighted to hear we provided a wonderful stay for you and your family.

I appreciate your feedback in regards to the Facilities Fee, and please accept my sincerest apology this was not better communicated to you. The Facilities Fee is collected at the hotel, due to the fact that the amenities and services are provided on property. When reserving through a Travel Agency, we do not collect this fee prior to your arrival, because in the event that you need to cancel your reservation, we will not charge the Facilities Fee.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.

Don Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (4,926)

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We just got back from a fabulous weekend at the Park Central. We found this beautifully remodeled contemporary hotel to be a perfect location for everywhere we were going. We came to visit our daughter in union square and were just a block from the subway station to get us there in minutes, we loved taking walks through the park in the mornings after going to the gym and we were only a couple blocks from Central Park. We were also minutes from Times Square, fifth avenue shopping and Columbus circle.
We found the room to be well appointed, well lit, roomy and very clean. We were greeted by smiling staff everywhere and they couldn't have been more helpful and kind. This has become our go to home away from home in NY.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Dziner27,

Thank you for your fantastic review and recommendation! I am thrilled to hear that the Park Central Hotel is your NYC "home away from home", and that we provided the perfect location for your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights and it was a very nice hotel.

We did not eat or drink there as it was far too expensive. We bought a bottle of wine on the first night and it cost $55 (it was one of the cheapest!).

We went to the La Parisenne which is between Park Central and Central Park. Very nice breakfasts there and very reasonable prices!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Custarddougal750
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Custarddougal750,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, and are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

I booked this online and chose to pay everything upfront with Expedia, only to get billed a 20.00 per day facility fee. It's basically a gouge but as long as you are aware you won't be surprised.

Ok so on to the hotel, I found the hotel pleasant and clean, those are some of the most important things to me. The location is close to Times Square and also close to Central Park. The room was small but clean and the bathroom was pretty good.

The only issue is with the elevators. The hotel shares its elevators with the Manhattan Club and you only have two allotted to your floors, so the waits can be long and the elevators can be crowded.

The rooms with the inner view to the courtyard are pretty dismal, but once again this is New York and views cost a lot. I left the shades down all the time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view, the inner courtyard is pretty dismal.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear Gary_Francois,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate and value all of your feedback, and I am delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. The Facilities Fee is always collected directly with the hotel, and I am so sorry to hear this was not clearly communicated to you when reserving with Expedia. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed at the Park Central Hotel last night with my wife and 7 year old daughter after naming my own price on Priceline.com. My bid was accepted by Park Central with Priceline and when I checked in last night at 9pm, the front desk representative asked me for a credit card for incidentals. Okay, no problem. I gave him my credit card and that was it. My wife, daughter and I went up to our room room and went to sleep as we had an early morning flight home the next morning.

The next morning when I woke up, there was a bill under my door for $20 plus tax ($21.78 total) for a "Facilities Fee". This was never mentioned to me when I checked in, so I went down to inquire about it with the front desk representative. He said it was a "mandatory hotel fee" and he couldn't do anything about it. I asked to speak with a manager and was introduced to Tony C.

Tony C. could not have cared less about me. I asked why I was not told about it when I checked in and he said it is because Priceline.com should have told me about it. I mentioned that I was not aware of the charge and he pulled out a binder that was already sitting on the front desk counter that had screenshots from Priceline, Hotwire and other online booking sites showing the super small fine print that "Facilities fees may be extra". Clearly people complain about this all the time which is why he had the pre-printed pages in the binder on the front desk.

When I asked "what is included in the Facilities Fee", he indicated that it included items such as free internet, free luggage storage, free local calls, etc. Why was this not disclosed to me when I checked in that I was going to have to pay a mandatory $21.78 per night change and for that I get the above mentioned amenities? BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE BEING CHARGED A BOGUS $20+/NIGHT FEE. They try to hide it from you. I never used the internet, made any local charges or stored my bags. Most hotels give you the option to purchase internet per night and who uses hotel phones for local calls anymore? Everyone has a cell phone.

This hotel is deceiving and unethical and has HORRIBLE customer service. I asked to have the change removed as I was not made aware of it or the amenities I got for it and therefore did not take advantage of it and the front desk manager, Tony C, could have cared less. Basically told me tough luck.

I will NEVER stay at this hotel again and urge you to carefully consider staying here. If you do, be aware that your hotel cost is $21.78 more per night than you thought.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank jday02
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Jday02,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, both positive and constructive, as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. I am so disheartened to hear that our Facilities Fee was not thoroughly communicated to you through Priceline and at the Hotel. We have gone to great lengths to work with third party site to make the Facilities Fee more transparent, and I am so sorry this was not made clear to you. It is even more troubling to hear that we failed to communicate the Facilities Fee during your check in, and we did not provide excellent customer service while answering your inquiry.

The Park Central Hotel New York mandatory Facilities Fee priced at $20 plus tax per room, per night which provides guests with the following services, amenities and added value offerings:
-Wireless (WIFI) High Speed Access through the hotel's guest rooms and public spaces for up to 5 devices
-Unlimited Local and Domestic Long Distance calls
-Luggage storage on arrival and/or departure up until 9:00 PM.
-Unlimited use of the 24-hour state-of-the-art Fitness Center
-A welcome drink (house wine or signature cocktail) or non-alcoholic beverage with the purchase of an entree during lunch or dinner service in Park Kitchen, our new Restaurant and Bar, open seven days a week. The facilities fee is not inclusive of service gratuities.

All of your feedback has been shared with our Department Heads, so that we may improve our process of communicating our Facilities Fee. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed in January 2014 on business.

Service was second to none at all times, hotel staff could not do enough to please in this newly refurbished hotel.

The location is great, easy walking/ cab distance from just about anywhere and anything, given the choice of similarly priced hotels in the area I would definitely return here again.

Beds were comfy; rooms had great facilities & climate control.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel once but it was very enjoyable although overpriced - what can you expect in NYC.

Wifi is not provided free of charge.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Roxibillion,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience with us. I am so happy to hear we provided you with excellent service, a wonderful location and a comfortable guestroom. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

While the hotel was expensive, its location near Central Park and Times Square is incredible. Highly recommended for people wanting to get the typical touristy experience in Times Square. However, if you've already been to Times Square there are probably cheaper places you could get in other areas.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Jonathan S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our perfect location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.