“A nice hotel close to NYC hotspots”

Park Central Hotel New York
Ranked #265 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I booked this online and chose to pay everything upfront with Expedia, only to get billed a 20.00 per day facility fee. It's basically a gouge but as long as you are aware you won't be surprised.

Ok so on to the hotel, I found the hotel pleasant and clean, those are some of the most important things to me. The location is close to Times Square and also close to Central Park. The room was small but clean and the bathroom was pretty good.

The only issue is with the elevators. The hotel shares its elevators with the Manhattan Club and you only have two allotted to your floors, so the waits can be long and the elevators can be crowded.

The rooms with the inner view to the courtyard are pretty dismal, but once again this is New York and views cost a lot. I left the shades down all the time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view, the inner courtyard is pretty dismal.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Gary_Francois,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate and value all of your feedback, and I am delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. The Facilities Fee is always collected directly with the hotel, and I am so sorry to hear this was not clearly communicated to you when reserving with Expedia. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for Park Central Hotel New York

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed at the Park Central Hotel last night with my wife and 7 year old daughter after naming my own price on Priceline.com. My bid was accepted by Park Central with Priceline and when I checked in last night at 9pm, the front desk representative asked me for a credit card for incidentals. Okay, no problem. I gave him my credit card and that was it. My wife, daughter and I went up to our room room and went to sleep as we had an early morning flight home the next morning.

The next morning when I woke up, there was a bill under my door for $20 plus tax ($21.78 total) for a "Facilities Fee". This was never mentioned to me when I checked in, so I went down to inquire about it with the front desk representative. He said it was a "mandatory hotel fee" and he couldn't do anything about it. I asked to speak with a manager and was introduced to Tony C.

Tony C. could not have cared less about me. I asked why I was not told about it when I checked in and he said it is because Priceline.com should have told me about it. I mentioned that I was not aware of the charge and he pulled out a binder that was already sitting on the front desk counter that had screenshots from Priceline, Hotwire and other online booking sites showing the super small fine print that "Facilities fees may be extra". Clearly people complain about this all the time which is why he had the pre-printed pages in the binder on the front desk.

When I asked "what is included in the Facilities Fee", he indicated that it included items such as free internet, free luggage storage, free local calls, etc. Why was this not disclosed to me when I checked in that I was going to have to pay a mandatory $21.78 per night change and for that I get the above mentioned amenities? BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE BEING CHARGED A BOGUS $20+/NIGHT FEE. They try to hide it from you. I never used the internet, made any local charges or stored my bags. Most hotels give you the option to purchase internet per night and who uses hotel phones for local calls anymore? Everyone has a cell phone.

This hotel is deceiving and unethical and has HORRIBLE customer service. I asked to have the change removed as I was not made aware of it or the amenities I got for it and therefore did not take advantage of it and the front desk manager, Tony C, could have cared less. Basically told me tough luck.

I will NEVER stay at this hotel again and urge you to carefully consider staying here. If you do, be aware that your hotel cost is $21.78 more per night than you thought.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank jday02
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Jday02,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, both positive and constructive, as it is an excellent tool to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. I am so disheartened to hear that our Facilities Fee was not thoroughly communicated to you through Priceline and at the Hotel. We have gone to great lengths to work with third party site to make the Facilities Fee more transparent, and I am so sorry this was not made clear to you. It is even more troubling to hear that we failed to communicate the Facilities Fee during your check in, and we did not provide excellent customer service while answering your inquiry.

The Park Central Hotel New York mandatory Facilities Fee priced at $20 plus tax per room, per night which provides guests with the following services, amenities and added value offerings:
-Wireless (WIFI) High Speed Access through the hotel's guest rooms and public spaces for up to 5 devices
-Unlimited Local and Domestic Long Distance calls
-Luggage storage on arrival and/or departure up until 9:00 PM.
-Unlimited use of the 24-hour state-of-the-art Fitness Center
-A welcome drink (house wine or signature cocktail) or non-alcoholic beverage with the purchase of an entree during lunch or dinner service in Park Kitchen, our new Restaurant and Bar, open seven days a week. The facilities fee is not inclusive of service gratuities.

All of your feedback has been shared with our Department Heads, so that we may improve our process of communicating our Facilities Fee. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back and show you a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed in January 2014 on business.

Service was second to none at all times, hotel staff could not do enough to please in this newly refurbished hotel.

The location is great, easy walking/ cab distance from just about anywhere and anything, given the choice of similarly priced hotels in the area I would definitely return here again.

Beds were comfy; rooms had great facilities & climate control.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel once but it was very enjoyable although overpriced - what can you expect in NYC.

Wifi is not provided free of charge.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Roxibillion,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience with us. I am so happy to hear we provided you with excellent service, a wonderful location and a comfortable guestroom. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

While the hotel was expensive, its location near Central Park and Times Square is incredible. Highly recommended for people wanting to get the typical touristy experience in Times Square. However, if you've already been to Times Square there are probably cheaper places you could get in other areas.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Jonathan S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our perfect location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

At the time we went it was just getting renovated and it looked fantastic they're was lots of building work happening around us but could see it was emerging into a 5 star hotel. This hotel is in a great location around the corner from the museums and central park itself. The rooms were very tidy and everything was decorated nice.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Nick O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed both our newly renovated décor and central location. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Excellent location, close to everything and a couple blocks from Central Park. The dining room served a very lovely brunch and we had a very attentive waiter, an excellent welcome and excellent service overall . We were very happy with our stay!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear 3966John,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, and are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 15, 2014

It has been three years in a row that I stayed at Park Central after staying at different hotels in the same area, and without any doubt the next stay will be there as well. In my opinion ideally located near Central Park you will find very nice, comfortable rooms in a hotel with friendly staff at a very reasonable rate.
Everything nearby, great to have your morning run in Central Park, good advice and help from the staff... Excellent!

Room Tip: My recommendation is to ask for a room some floors up (as from 10 for example) to have the minimum o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear JanBultinck,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience. We appreciate and value all of our guest’s feedback, and I am so happy to hear that we consistently provide a wonderful stay for you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Park Central on your next NYC adventure!