“Roomy and reasonable”

Park Central Hotel New York
Ranked #276 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The room (Single King) was the biggest I had seen in NYC in a while. The property is clean and neat, although not luxurious by any means. Staff were gracious and helpful. The bed was very comfortable!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kei T
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thanks for the review! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Don Fraser

Write a ReviewReviews (5,075)

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The Park Central was finishing renovations when we stayed there the weekend of 2/7. The public areas were complete, and the restaurant and bar were bustling. One side of our floor was still under repair, although no distraction to the guests. The halls were freshly painted, the decent-sized rooms newly decorated and furnished, and the bathroom surfaces were all new and clean. Our daughter's top school performance groups were playing at Carnegie Hall, and to be right across the street was lovely, especially in the cold and ice. We'd gotten a last-minute deal and were thrilled. The price on the hotel door was three times what we paid, and for $25 more we nearly stayed a couple of blocks over in a clean and pleasant place, although clearly not as luxe. In NYC all you need is a place to sleep and refresh in clean and secure comfort before you go back out the front door to enjoy the city. If you can get this place at a deal, though, do it in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor, south side, overlooking the central roof. Pulled the shades and no p...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guests feedback and are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location was perfect to see your daughter's performance at Carnegie Hall. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again soon!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I brought a group of music students here from February 14 to February 17. They had a performance at Carnegie Hall. I was uniformly impressed with the level of service from the concierge (Susan), to the housekeepers, bellmen, and all of the other employees. Everyone was smiling and genuinely seemed to want to be helpful. The only place I received "so-so" service was in the lounge. I waited with two friends at least 15 minutes before anyone even acknowledged us. It wasn't busy, and there were two hostesses at a stand in the back of the room who were engaged in a personal conversation the entire time. But we finally ordered our bottle of wine and had a pleasant time, The room was nice enough, somewhat modern (if a little cheap-looking), and it is already suffering from the effects of high turnover (scuffed walls, etc.). I had a room overlooking 7th Avenue, so the view was nice, especially when it decided to snow on our second day.

The only real problem was the elevators. When they renovated, why couldn't they have invested a bit more in expanding them? For a hotel with over 25 floors, there are only TWO teeny-weeny little elevators, with a maximum capacity of six or seven people. Imagine hundreds of people attempting to check in or out (with luggage), or simply to go anywhere. It was a nightmare. Thankfully, we were on the 6th floor, so in desperation, we usually took the stairs. Not too bad going down, but it was quite a hike UP. But hotel guests shouldn't have to use stairs. There is another bank of elevators on the other side of each hallway, but conveniently "off limits" to hotel guests. Simply disgraceful.

Also, the lobby-level "market" had very limited hours. I think it is only open in the mornings, but always seemed to be closed whenever I walked by. There are no vending facilities in the hotel, so in order to get anything - a beverage, a snack, etc. - we had to bundle up and venture out into the 15-degree weather. Granted there are lots of places very close to the property, including a Starbucks (always packed) and another coffee establishment. But the management needs to rethink their limited market hours. They are losing a LOT of revenue in Food & Beverage.

But again, the real issue is the elevators. Even with the terrific location of the hotel, I would probably not stay here again because of them. If you MUST, stay here, request a low floor. Also request a room that faces the front of the hotel. My friends in the interior rooms could not get any cell phone service. Oh, and I did get lucky with the internet. The front desk gave me a free "VIP" code, so I didn't need to pay for it.

Room Tip: Do not get an "interior room", or you will not receive a cell signal. And make sure to ask...
1  Thank timbolester

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guests feedback as it is an excellent way to continually improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests. We are delighted to read that you received a high level of service with each team member you encountered with, but are disappointed in the challenges you had with the elevators. We have shared your feedback with our team members to look into correcting this challenge. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

So many hotels in NYC to choose from and so many locations that it gets confusing
Learned about Park Central through Tripadvisor and very glad we did!
Park Central has a great location, cleanliness, great comfort and nice staff.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PCH870, General Manager at Park Central Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for the 5 star review! We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to the opportunity to host you again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

As you see my overall ratings above compared to the rest of the items listed vary greatly. Let's talk about the good stuff. Great hotel, great service staff, great rooms, some of the front desk people were very helpful, no complaints! But, some certainly need some serious attitude-adjusting in regard to taking care of the clients.

Upon arrival, there was an issue with my credit card for my 4 night stay. After much ado, they were able to get payment for one evening. I assured them I would look into the matter and report back the next day with payment from that card, or other payment source. Upon checking with the front desk the second day, I was told by a front desk person (Cheree) that everything was OK and that my stay would be uninterrupted with future issues of this matter. In the mean time, I was checking to see what the issues were with my credit card. A quick call to the card service to let them know I was in NYC assured that I would have no future card issues at the hotel. So, I have two positive steps taken. Wanting to cover all my bases, I checked my on-line statement, only to find that the hotel had put a hold on my card in the amount of nearly $3000 for a 4 night stay that cost just over a thousand dollars. My room was nice, but if I'm being charged nearly $3000...gonna' need a SERIOUS upgrade! Bringing this to the front desk's attention, (again, Cheree was very helpful) she told me should would contact their finance department and see why such a large amount had been held. ( I realize that hotels will hold a few extra dollars for incidental issues. Ok, I admit, I dropped and broke one of the water glasses in the room...so BILL ME!) Again, I was assured that everything was all right. Well, it was until returning to my room on Sunday night/Monday morning. My key would not open my room. Heading back down to the front desk for another key card, I was told they hotel was experiencing key card issues, apologized and sent me on my way with a new card. It, too, was found to not work. Making a second trip back to the front desk, I was told that there was an issue with my credit card. (I'm sure there was...they had initially put a hold on $2800 on the card!) The night manager said there was nothing he could/would do until proper payment was received. For the next two hours I was left to sit in the front lobby until some of my other friends returned from their night out. In what was a very awkward and embarrassing moment, I had to ask one of them to "cover my charges" so I could get back in my room. After 3 hours, I was allowed to go back to my room...after their daily reports were printed and the computers would allow them to make me a new key card. Have since received a credit card statement showing nearly $1500 available credit on the card. Yet, checking the card on-line TODAY, the hotel is still holding nearly $400 in funds against the card. So, my advice, it's a great place to stay, but have a credit card that has 5 to10 thousand dollars of available credit, as the hotel will be "holding" a big chunk of it. Not impressed. Really ruined my time in the city, as I was performing at Carnegie Hall.

Room Tip: If available, ask for a room with some type of street view.
3  Thank Tom B

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to create an environment where our guests can honestly state they received unparalleled service and to see that we failed to meet both of our expectations is extremely troubling. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you encountered with your credit card hold and that we could not rectify this issue during your stay. Your feedback has been shared with our department heads so we may address this shortcoming and be able to provide a better experience for our future guests. I do hope you will give Park Central another try and allow us to make it a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I really liked the Park Central hotel. Rooms were a nice size. However the 2 ladies at the checkin were very cold and indifferent. I do not understand why management would put their nastiest employees on the Front Desk. I was surprised the room lacked a coffee maker. Nowadays, even the 1 star hotel would provide coffee. No free internet. I would have been satisfied if the one day price was for all devices. But you would have to pay a fee for each wireless device. Anyway. Outside of that...the hotel was nice and very beautiful. Love the gym too. I rated the hotel as 'average' because of the lack of basic amenities that are standard for 1-2 star hotels now.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guests feedback, both positive and constructive, as it is an excellent tool to continually assess and improve our processes and afford a better experience for our future guests. We look forward to an opportunity to host you again soon.

Yours in service,

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We started recommending the hotel to our friends via Facebook before we even left. The location is outstanding - across from Carnegie Hall and with the subway (N/R) at the corner. The decor is gorgeous, the beds were extremely comfortable and the room was spacious for New York. Our only issue was very loud neighbors (not the fault of the hotel), who quieted down immediately when we knocked on their door. The Guest Relations Manager, Ms. Cacovic was very friendly and helpful. We were waiting for our ride for some time in the lobby and I observed her checking up on guests, making sure everyone was being helped and taken care of. The young man at the bag-check even refused a tip with a smile! This was a 4-night business trip that we spontaneously extended by one night a) because the hotel was so wonderful and b) the hotel extended a very favorable rate even though it was a Saturday night.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate and value all of our guests feedback and are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team strives to create memorable experiences for all of our guests and to read Elizabeth went above and beyond is exceptional. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again soon!

Yours in service,