“Staying in NYC ”

Ranked #380 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Columbus, Ohio
“Staying in NYC ”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I visit NYC once a month on business and have been to several hotels. This one is actually a nice little find. It is very close to Times Square and Broadway. Lots of restaurants and walking distance to the Park. The price is excellent for the location and hotel. Sleep well and spend less with this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled you are a loyal guest and that you very much enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to personally meeting you on your next visit with us, please reach out to me personally when you do.

ovela@paramount-nyc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I spent my birthday night in this nice place. Room is not that big, but clean, bed is comfortable. Lobby is very nice. Nerma, the receptionist is very kind, friendly and helpful. She kept smile at me and gave me exception of late check out that day since it was my big birthday:) I also got an upgrade from queen to kind size bed as a birthday present:) I stayed there until 3pm and checked out. I like that place a lot, will go back again.

Room Tip: king size bed
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. It was a great pleasure to have host your birthday. I am very excited you enjoyed our staff, the ambience of the hotel and your upgraded room. I will share your comments with Nerma and I am sure she will enjoy.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have stayed in chain hotels in the city, but there is nothing like a true NYC hotel experience. This hotel is old, but could not be better maintained. The rooms are very very clean and the beds are as comfortable as any I have experienced. The location could not be better, just steps from Times Square. Excellent staff willing to help you find that perfect show or dinner. This is the place in NYC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank TennTravel01
Thank you for your 5 star review of our hotel. We are truly honored that you made us your hotel of choice in New York City. We appreciate the feedback regarding your stay and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

Bocas Town, Panama
Reviewed February 7, 2014

For the price in New York City, you can't go wrong. I got a good deal through Expedia. All in all I think this place is pretty good. The rooms are tiny, TINY, but everywhere is small in
New York. The only thing I didn't like was the bare basics of this hotel. Offer a bottle of water in the room, a happy hour for guests, something!! Not even the front desk was helpful with booking tours or taxis. But in terms of the room, the hotel is nicely decorated and the lobby and bar are pretty cool.

Room Tip: The standard room, means you can touch the wall on both sides when your lying down in the bed
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review. We will absolutely discuss your comments with our staff and Management Team to make sure your concerns are heard, and we thank you for bringing them to our attention. We are thrilled you enjoyed our lobby, our hotel, the Paramount Bar & Grill and of course a great location.

New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I statyed at this hotel in September for our honeymoon. I don't write reviews, but decided I wanted to for this hotel. Some of the criticisms are fair...it is a dark hotel and there is an odor in the lobby. However, the odor wasn't offensive, it was just distinct. My wife comments when something reminds her of that smeill and she says it with fondness. The lobby is dark, as are the hallways, but part of that (especially the lobby) is for ambiance. Rooms are small and pricey but no more than any other NY hotel.

Now the good...Location. It doesn't get much better. You are blocks from Times Square, but you don't get the lights shining through your window at night. If you go the other way out of the hotel and one block down, you come up on "restaurant row" which we discovered our last night there and would recommend it to anyone. The staff was friendly and worked with me in setting up our room for a honeymoon arrival. It wasn't free (but there were strawberries and champagne when we walked in the door) and they upgraded our room for free. We had a hot breakfast in the restaurant/bar every morning and drinks there each night.

I don't know if this is the family or business hotel you want, but for a couples get away, I just can't think it would get better hotel to stay at. We will always remember it and look forward to going back and staying here.

Room Tip: There was a breakfast/room combo package. Well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for a great review of your stay with us at out hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, our location, our ambiance and our amazing staff. We are thrilled you enjoyed your Honeymoon amenity and had a very memorable experience. We can’t wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2014

New York hotels are dicey. This one is above average. Has a recently udated well-designed and attractive lobby, but it smells like a mix of pizza, sweat and perfume which is sort of times square in a nutshell. I have stayed here twice, my husband 3 times. I won't be looking to go back unless the rate is very good. They have a coffee bar, Corso, which is located in the lobby and does not open until 7 a.m. Not a working person's hotel. It was OK but not great mostly due to the smell downstairs. The room was small but clean. The bathroom needs an update (missing a stopper in the sink and shower was not great.) Just so-so.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenricheytx
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. While we are delighted to see that you enjoyed some aspects of the Paramount, It is never our intention to disappoint our guests and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you. We hope you will return in future and allow us to recapture your confidence in us.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My plus is, the location of the Paramount Hotel is terrific on 46th Street close to 8th Avenue. I’d been here before for drinks and to meet friends but after staying here, for around $700 for 2 weekend nights, I won’t return.

The lobby is cavernous and very dark and very loud and is permeated by a strange odor. It’s not unpleasant, it’s just weird and a bit oppressive. It wasn’t a welcoming atmosphere to return to when you’re tired from running around New York all day. The huge couches with travelers sprawled on them, both early and late, as if in a mid-eastern bazaar (sans hookahs) don’t strike me as interesting, they strike me as contrived. The fun-house mirrors allowing for ‘before’ and ‘after’ images outside the fitness room come across as rude, not amusing. (Said fitness room was small, but serviceable. I never did find the bar or restaurant.)

My single room was tiny and the lighting can only be described as garish, but it was clean clean and that leads to the problem I had. I had great fun shopping for Christmas presents then had $190 worth of gifts stolen from my room. Security was very unclear on how to proceed, wasting a lot of between-show time and I finally had longer to wait in that lobby to speak to a manger, only to be informed I would be contacted by the hotel insurance company within 8-10 days. I was naive enough to believe this but months and numerous phone calls and emails proved to be ineffectual. I realize this could happen anytime and anywhere, but it’s never happened to me before and put a bit of a damper on my stay.

So, all things considered-, price, atmosphere, dependability, efficient use of time vs. the great location, I’ll not stay here again.

Additionally, I took the $18 Super Shuttle from LaGuardia into Midtown. It was a 20 minute wait for the shuttle to arrive then we looped the airport making various pickups. Once we finally got moving the roundabout ride was interminable. I’ve never had a less aggressive driver, although he was chatty and friendly. I ended up hopping out of the shuttle by the park and did some shopping, taking the subway to the hotel. To get back to the airport I took the hotel shuttle for $50 as saving $32 was NOT worth the time involved. I believe a cab might have been $40 but I’m not certain.

Room Tip: I went through Expedia. It was very easy. I don't have problems with tiny, tiny rooms when I'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Please accept our sincere apologies for the myriad of missteps during your recent stay. While any number of situations can sometimes occur in a hotel, it is rare that we miss the mark so completely as we seem to have done with you. I will address your comments to our various Department Managers so that we may improve our service in these areas.