“Rudest Maitre D' I have EVER encountered”

Paramount Hotel Times Square New York
Ranked #378 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Drogheda
“Rudest Maitre D' I have EVER encountered”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have just returned from a five day trip (Jan 23rd to 28th 0 to New York and we (my wife and I) stayed at the Paramount hotel.
OK, lets start with the good parts:
LOCATION- is excellent, literally two mins walk from the centre of Times Square.
HOTEL AND ROOM CLEANLINESS- excellent, the hotel itself is highly maintained and there is always a beautiful fresh smell in the lobby area. Our rooms were cleaned and bed linen changed daily.
BAD PARTS:
NO FREE WIFI!! In this day and age I find it amazing that Hotels have the audacity to charge guests whom are already paying the Hotel an extra charge for WIFI, in this case the charge is in the region of $13 per day per device.
THE ROOMS ARE TINY!!, I measured by my feet that our room was 12 feet by 9 1/2, plus the bathroom, which was ok size but had no heating and was always cold.
ON FIVE SEPARATE OCCASIONS we went up to our room on the 16th floor and our keycard would not work , on one occasion I went down THREE times consecutively to have the card reset. The receptionist said that I must have had it next to my mobile phone!!!!untrue because my phone was upstairs.
THE BAR PRICES ARE REDICULOUS!! we ordered two glasses of wine, priced in the bar menu at approx $14 each, we got the bill for $40 for two glasses of wine!!!!!!!! we asked how come, and were told that the bar menu price does not include taxes or tips!!!!! BE WARNED
THE MAITRE D, in the Bar/Grill/Restaurant in the evening time was quite possibly the rudest man I have ever encountered. Four of us entered the bar (as residents) and were not aware that there was assigned seating and we were quite simply astonished at this mans approach to us speaking loudly enough so that his voice attracted attention, making us feel very embarrassed, we left immediately.
All in all, NO, i would not return nor recommend this hotel, unless I got a rediculously good deal!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrisA380
NYCPHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Paramount Hotel Times Square New York, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with our hotel so comprehensively. Your comments are extremely helpful, especially the feedback with regards to key cards which we have address with our IT team.

We are appalled to hear of the rudeness with which you were treated by a member of our Restaurant staff. We have addressed this with the Director of the department and apologize for this unacceptable behavior.

We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will return and allow us the opportunity to recapture your confidence in us.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sundrerland
Reviewed January 28, 2014

First time in NYC and it instantly became my favourite place.

I travelled to New York with my boyfriend on 13 the December 2013 for 4 nights 5 days. We travelled from Newcastle Airport to Paris then a connecting flight from Paris to New Yorks JFK. The connecting flight is a bit of a nightmare as we were delayed so didn't think we would make the flight. We make just in time. Unfortunately our luggage didn't however it was put onto a later flight and delivered the next morning to the hotel. My advice would be to get a direct flight! The luggage also didn't make the connecting flight back home. Bloody Air France have a habit of this apparently.

We arrived in New York and got a yellow taxi from JFK to Paramount Hotel on Time Square. There is a set fee when getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel. I can't remember the exact figure but it's around $78.

First impressions of the hotel - fabulous! Beautiful building, beautiful reception and friendly staff. The room was tiny but clean. It had a double bed, TV and a chair and desk. The bathroom had a bath with a shower over, a sink and toilet. To be honest it is all you need. If your going to go to New York to stay in the room then save your money and stay at home. We did get an upgrade as we had to be moved rooms due to the guests above us flooding their bathroom which leaking into ours. The room was a little bigger then the standard room. Giving us more room to place all of our shopping. If we had stayed in the other room I think we would have had to sleep with our purchases as there was just no space for them at all.

Our first stop Rockefella Christmas Tree. A must see! We visited here a couple of time. Early morning or later at night was the best as there weren't as many people around. It really does live up to expectations.

Grand Central Station - defiantly worth a look it's such a beautiful building. As it was Christmas time they had a Christmas market on along with a carol service. It just made the start of the trip that bit extra Christmasy.

'Top of The Rock' I would definitely recommend doing this as you get some fantastic views of the city. We arrived at 8am for it opening. I'd recommend getting there early as it gets very busy later in the day.

Shopping it's like a girls heaven! Bloomingdales and Maceys offer a tourist discount so make sure you take your passport. They had sales on while we were there and we got discount on top of the sale prices too. Clothing like Ralph Lauren is a lot cheaper there than it is over here. We also went to Tiffany's which is definitely worth a look. It's so beautiful and has some amazing pieces of jewellery. One of my favourite shops had to be FAO Schwartz. It's huge and have everything you could imagine including a make your own muppet station which we did for our son. The end result was fab and my son loves it. We also got a personalised remote control car in there. They allow you to pick the body, wheels, stickers etc. It really is a dream toy store. Toys R Us and the Disney Store are worth a visit too. Toys R Us has an actual ferris wheel inside that you can ride on and the Disney Store has a massive princess castle. Take plenty of spending money as the shopping really is fantastic and you can pick up some great deals. Don't forget when looking at prices there is usually a sales tax added onto the price at the tills. In every store the staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. I purchased a Michael Korea bag which worked out about £70 cheaper then if I'd bought it in the UK.

We visited Ground Zero Memorial. You do need tickets to go into the memorial. The ticket office for this is about a 5-10 minute walk from the actual Ground Zero itself. We got a taxi from our hotel to Ground Zero so if you do the same then ask the taxi driver to drop you off there. It is worth a visit, we didn't stay very long we walked around the pools and came away. The only thing I didn't like was some people taking selfies with the pools in the background seemed somewhat disrespectful. You only have to give a donation when buying your tickets there is a recommended price of about $5-$10.

Empire State Building. Again this is a must! We got there at 8am for it opening and would recommend anyone wanting to visit to do the same otherwise you spend most of your time waiting in queues. Some amazing views and pictures of the city. Wrap up warm as it was freezing when we went and wear sensible shoes. It snowed when we were there making it very slippery. We saw someone propose on top of the Empire State which was lovely to see.

Bryant Park This has to be one of my favourite places in New York. It has a magnificent Christmas tree with a ice rink in front a beautiful fountain and a Christmas market. It was snowing when we visited here and if there was one moment I could have picked to frame it would have been the one in Bryant Park. Snow falling, Christmas music playing, hot chocolate in hand while watching people skating snuggled up in my boyfriends arms. Romantic and Christmasy what more could a girl want!

Central Park - we took a horse drawn carriage ride around the park as it had been snowing the previous day and we weren't sure if we would manage to get around without breaking a bone. The ride was great, not only did it show us all the sights of the park but the man driving the carriage knew all there was to know about the city and gave us a guided tour of the park and the surrounding buildings. He also stopped off at the lake to take some pictures of us in the carriage. We got a 40 minutes tour of the park for $90 it does seem a lot but it was well worth the money. We got to see all the spots we wanted to see and got to know more about the city.

We also went to Central Park Zoo on our last morning. It is tiny, taking about 30 minutes to look around. It's worth a look especially on your last day if there is a few hours to kill before home time.

Helicopter ride - we got a taxi down to battery park and took a helicopter flight. It was about €140 but took us to see the sights of New York like the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Empire State Building etc. It was well worth the money especially if it's your first time in New York. While your down at Battery Park it's a good opportunity to have a stroll along Southport.

Broadway
The Lion King - if you love the Lion King you will love this performance it is truly fantastic. My boyfriend who doesn't like the theatre love this! Go onto YouTube to see highlights for the show. We booked the tickets on line before we went and just had to pick them up from the box office.

There are loads of other shows and a lot of people trying to sell tickets on the street. Make sure you go to the box office to buy any tickets.

Pizza Supreme next Tempest Bar down from Maddison Square Gardens for our tea is lush! I would defiantly recommend this place if your looking for delicious pizza. I got two slices of meat pizza and couldn't manage to eat both they were that big. It was reasonably prices and some of the best pizza I've ever had! It is a fast food restaurant so you get your good at the counter, pay for it and get a seat if there is one.

Paramount Hotel Grill Bar was one of the best meals I've had. I got the pork and it was amazing while my boyfriend got the steak. Both were cooked to perfection. The cocktails were bloody gorgeous too. The service was fantastic, they really couldn't do anymore for us.

Hard Rock Cafe was delicious but you may want to share a starter. We got a starter each and it looked like we hadn't touched it there was that much. I got the steak for my main and my boyfriend got a burger. Again both were cooked to perfection and the service was brilliant. The cocktails were gorgeous. Make sure you take your ID as we were both asked to provide it and we are way past 21. We did have to wait about 30 minutes to get a table but it wasn't too bad as we could loom around the gift shop.

Shake Shake was bloody lovely. I had a burger with a stuffed mushroom and chips. To think this is fast food really does put Maccy D's to shame. It was lovely. The restaurant was very busy so we did have to have a cramped window seat but it was defiantly worth it.

Deli shops are everywhere we went into one and got a proper deli sarnie. It was delicious I've never seen a sandwich with as much meat in it. It was massive.

Planet Hollywood - the food was nice but service wasn't very good. We shared a started of slide burgers which were delicious. I got a steak and my boyfriend for a burger both were lovely however I ordered onions and mushrooms with my steak however these didn't appear but appeared on the bill.

Cheesecake - we went to Magnolia Bakery and Eileen's Bakery. Both had amazing choice and both were delicious. If you like cheesecake then give both of these a go. I preferred the one I had from Magnolia only because it was pecan and caramel flavour while my boyfriend preferred Eileen's. Either way you won't be disappointed.

I could not recommend New York enough. We didn't take our little boy as it was a romantic trip away. I'm not sure if I would go back with him at this time of year as it's incredibly cold and very busy. For couples this place is perfect. The Paramount Hotel is in a fantastic location and in walking distance of most places. I've been to lots of places and this is the most amazing place I have ever been. It is the magical and if you want to get into the Christmas spirit then most definitely go.

My top tips are:-
Make an it itinerary before you you go, we did and this allowed us to see everything we had planned and more.

Take lots of warm clothes if your going in the winter. At times it was -4 at midday and it was snowing. Then the windchill makes it feel extra cold.

To give you an idea I had tights underneath my jeans, a thermal vest, normal vest top, jumper and coat along with thermal socks and fleece lined walking boots oh and a hat, gloves and scarf and I still felt cold when we were out and about however as soon as you go into a shop it's like strip show before you heat up.

Try and walk to most places. It's amazing what you discover when walking around.

Remember take plenty of money. I took money and my debit card however my debit card wouldn't work unless it was a cashpoint and the rate you get is terrible. Credit cards do work however I don't have one. I brought quite a lot of my money back with me but glad I had too much rather than not enough.
Don't take fancy clothes as everyone is in more casual wear. The only time I got dresses up was for the theatre but even then most people were in smart casual.

Remember sales tax it put on at the till so the price you see won't be the price you pay. Make sure you factor the tax in otherwise it could be more expensive than here!

If you have always wanted to go to New York then book up, you will not be disappointed. Fabulous place, fabulous people and you can never be bored as there is something to do for everyone. We have been back a month and have already looked at our next trip to NYC. We are going to try spring time and take our little boy this time. I'd definitely stay at the Paramount Hotel again. ❤️

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Clrbear
Thank you for your 5 Star review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, our team, and of course our location. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Paramount Bar & Grill. I am so pleased that your stay with us a was a pleasant and that you found our property to be a great secret alternative! We feel the same way. Our location is phenomenal as we are tucked away just off Time Square. Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback as well regarding some of the details of your stay and guestroom. I will definitely share with the management team here.

Greece
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Whatever it takes if you are on business dont book this hotel. The location is the only thing I do not complain about. The hotel is very close to Times Square excellent location if partying and theaters is your aim. Other than that, they enforce double charges if you need to use wifi on two divices (i.e. mobile & laptop). The room is extremely small like you are Stuart Little. Enter the room and you might as well lay in bed. Get out of bed and your feet are literally in the bathroom. No space for the suitcase unless you wanted to fly in the room and obviously no space for working unless on the bed! Temperature in the room was ok thank God, because if you needed to use the AC it was so noisy you couldnt. Once I needed to use it. So, I put the AC on through the panel. It only went off suddenly, a couple of hours later, waking me up!
The corridors are so dark, a lady on my own could not feel comfortable until I was well inside my room. The lobby is also extremely dark, I mean the lights are dimmed and there is this strong smell of scents all over the place like you are in Pakistan or India. No harm with that if you are used to these strong aromas. The minute you enter the hotel at night there is a check of your key. Im ok with this strickt security control (better safe than sorry) but does it imply something?
Service was also very poor. I dont mean that people meant to be roud, but they were not efficient up to a four-star hotel standard. Walking through the door just before check-in carrying a suitcase, a handbag, a backpack and a box and nobody seemed to be there to help. Asking for assistance while I was trying to precheck my self for my flight, they said they didnt know United Airlines number (couldnt they just googled it?) and when I gave them the number they said they could only dial it for me??? Asking for some additional company details on my invoice during check out, I had to insist for the duty manager to be called so that she could put an extra address and company's name on the sheet. Im sorry Im not used to that level of 4 star hotel service. Its just that everything seemed to need an extra effort to be accomplished. On departure I asked for a cab, so they called their own private "cab" charging me 25 dollars more than it should have!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank myrtia
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, and I appreciate your thoughts on the experience. I would also like to thank you for commenting on the size of the room, we do have different room types that we can show to accommodate families with children or need more room. Of course, we aim to satisfy every guest and please be assured that we will discuss your concern with our staff so that issues such as these do not occur again. I do thank you for your feedback, would love the opportunity to host you again so that we may ensure you an excellent experience here in the NYC.

Oscar Vela
Salta, Salta, Argentina
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We' ve been in this hotel in january 2014, the hotel is in an excellent location for the theatre district, to visit times square, but also has a metro station 2 blocs away wich make you can reach anywhere in NYC in minutes.
We had a problem with the heather, and the window in our room had a leakage of cold air, after the first night that we couldn't sleep well we called the front desk 3 times and they sent the technician but didn't solve anything, in the morning we had to prepare our luggage again to take it to the deposit until they have a new room for us, besides this we had an excellent time and enjoyed a lot.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gonzalo H
Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel. Of course, we aim to satisfy every guest and I have contacted my Chief engineer to ensure that the heaters in all of our rooms is of the highest standard. We will use your comments as a training tool, and we do hope you will return for a more positive stay.

Oscar Vela
Tappahannock, Virginia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Paramount last year, immediately after their renovation project. The lobby was very nice and that is where the pleasure stopped! The room was disgusting - and in the middle of the night one of the staff members unlocked our room door and walked in unannounced. We had numerous issues and we were constantly waiting in lines at the front desk for solutions. We will NEVER stay at the Paramount again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you pay!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank woodspnt
Please accept our sincere apologies for the myriad of missteps during your recent stay. While any number of situations can sometimes occur in a hotel, it is rare that we miss the mark so completely as we seem to have done with you.

It is never our intention to disappoint our guests and we sincerely regret that we have so thoroughly disappointed you. We hope you will return in future and allow us to recapture your confidence in us.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

My mom and I stayed here for 5 in October, the room was clean, well presented and the staff were very helpful. The lobby is beautiful and very relaxing. We had a problem with the plumbing in our bathroom, contacted reception and the problem was fixed within 30 minutes - very quick! Being so close to Times Square I was worried about noise but had perfect nights sleep every night! Would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Splim76
Thank you so much for spending time with us at our hotel! We are thrilled you are a loyal Paramount guest and that you very much enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to personally meeting you on your next visit with us, please reach out to me personally when you do.

ovela@paramount-nyc.com
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at the Paramount January 18 - 20, 2014 for my partners 50th birthday. I chose the Paramount because of its proximity to the broadway theatres, and the price; but admit that I was a little scared of what might lay beyond the lobby due to the reviews I read online. After staying at the Paramount, I will say this: Don't be scared by negative reviews.
We stayed in a Deluxe King Room, (1511). The website mentioned that there would be a stylish sofa and coffee table, but there was not one in our room. No problem though, as it would have simply been a place to throw clothes. If you are booking and you need the sofa, I would call the concierge and let them know. The bed was comfortable, not as superlatively comfortable as the website suggests, but certainly not in need of replacement. The room was clean and modern, very stylish.
Some reviews commented about the noise both outside and inside. I didn't hear anything from my room, but could hear clear conversations from rooms while I was in the hallway. Once in my room though - I heard nothing at all. As for outside noise, you're in New York City, a block from Time Square. You are going to hear the honking of taxi cab horns, police cars and firetrucks anywhere you stay. I will say that the windows were new, insulated glass, so it did cut down on a lot of the noise that would have been there otherwise. But again, you have to remember where you are, and that it's all part of the experience.
I also read reviews about the bathrooms. They are small, perhaps a little less than attractive with the stainless steel airplane-esque sink, but the water pressure was great, the hot water was more than abundant, and the towels were clean.
The lobby was magnificent. Absolutely. Some people complain of the smell ... but I didn't think it was obnoxious at all. In fact, it was a nice welcome from the street. NYC has a certain stinch, and to come in off the street to that sweet smell was quite a relief!
We had dinner at the Bar & Grill Saturday night after Motown, the Musical. We both had the strip steak. They are just 'ok'. But the service was fantastic, and the drinks were great.
All-in-all, the room was what I was expecting via the hotel website, sans the sofa, (they should probably say SOME rooms have them) the rate was great, the location couldn't be beat, and the service was excellent.
We will definitely make it a point to keep the Paramount as our choice hotel for NYC.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Artie V
Thank you for this wonderful review. I am so pleased that you got the uniqueness of our hotel - great service, great design, great value.